What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1245 on: December 25, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
China’s last tiger is eaten. The last wild Indochinese tiger in China has been killed and eaten by a villager.

Its the last one, so what's the big deal. It will die soon anyways. At least a farmer had a good meal and not the other way around.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1246 on: December 26, 2009, 02:27:10 AM »
China’s last tiger is eaten. The last wild Indochinese tiger in China has been killed and eaten by a villager.

Its the last one, so what's the big deal. It will die soon anyways. At least a farmer had a good meal and not the other way around.

I'll count that as a "Yes" vote on my theory of Chinese Dragons.  ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1247 on: December 26, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1248 on: December 28, 2009, 10:04:21 PM »
    WUHAN, Dec. 26 (Xinhua) -- The Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway with the world's fastest train journey at a 350-km-per-hour designed speed, started operation Saturday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-12/26/content_12706811.htm

Twould be fun to ride!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1249 on: December 30, 2009, 01:53:37 AM »
Student who is punished to stand outside freezes to death

December 28th, 2009 by Key | Posted in News | 2 Comments »
News from Netease and everywhere: A first grade student of a middle school from Shandong Province named Zhang Jixin (张继鑫) climbed out of the dormitory walls to buy food for another student on the evening of December 17th 2009. He was spotted by the teacher on duty when climbing the wall. The teacher hit him several times and ordered him to stand still outside as a punishment. Later the teacher went out drinking and forgot about the student. At 7 am in the morning on December 18th, Zhang Jixing was found dead (freezes to death) inside of a drain on campus. Later the teacher commented “Zhang Jixing died very comfortably” in an interview which stirred even more public out-cry all over the nation.

Both principle and vise-principle of Wujin middle school in Weifang city, Linqu County were fired on December 24. However the deceased student Zhang Jixin’s stepfather Zhang Benyong told the reporter that this incident has already been “privately settled” and they will not hold any department or individual responsible.

At 5 pm on December 24, reporter once again went to Zhang Benyong’s home, he was sadly resting his head on the table by a bed, behind him is his wife Fan Weihong was lying in bed. Some neighbors were in the room, one after the other tried to comfort the sobbing couple.

“Thank you… the incident has passed.” Zhang Benyong said, through coordination of relevant departments, the school and they have reached to a “settlement” agreement. But he declined to talk about the specific amount of the “settlement” in details. He only said, “They paid off the money all in one time.” The mother lay in bed and said “Please don’t mention how much money, whenever we talk about how much money we feel like as if we sold our child for money.” When reporter was leaving, Zhang Benyong said with another deep sigh “Whether if the money is enough of not, this thing is over, we will not hold anyone responsible.”

Reporter tried to contact Linqu local education and public security department and try to learn more details about the “private settlement” but with no success.

Blog post: Child freezes to death is a shame of the education and also a failure of the parents

by Shi Sansheng (石三生)

A student named Zhang Jixin (张继鑫) from Weifan, Shandong, was frozen to death; a 14-year-old boy was frozen to death. This alerted the high officials and disturbed the people into a panic. People have varies opinions on the incident.

According to my somewhat authoritarian judgment, in the current China, even a “Zhou Tiger” (South China Tiger incident) took up numerous amount of time and energy of the people and many internet media companies nationwide. Finally the poor “Zhou Tiger” was sent to the cage for everyone in the world to watch. Such detective effort, to investigate the cause of Zhang Jixin’s death perhaps is harder than sending Yang Liwei (杨利伟) into space.

Therefore, whether the education is a disgrace or just indifference of humanity, I only want to wait and see, see what kind of explanation the big officials give us.

A 14-year-old boy died, I believe that his parents must have been in unbearable pain. Life to death is the most painful thing on earth, not to mention people with white hair are seeing off people with black hair; people with black hair are saying good bye to their under-aged son.

Zhang Jixin is gone, However when we are blindly blaming the school, blaming our education, did we ever think about blaming ourselves?

Why is a 14-year-old child like a piece of wood, without his ability to think? Why is Zhang Jixin like a little lamb waiting to be butchered? Everyone runs for their lives when disaster is imminent, this is the law even a small bird understands, why didn’t Zhang Jixin understand? He was not caged. If so, this case can be solved by idiots. There is no monkey king in the world that can draw a prison (to imprison him). What makes a 14-year-old to lose his survival instinct?

My father and I were never in good terms, even when after he passed away, I never forgive him. I am a very smart child, but not stupid. It took my mother 10 months to conceive me so it proved that I am different from other people around me. I was naughty and lively by nature when I was young. But I was always thin because of my poor nutritional childhood. From primary school to junior high school, I became the subject of entertainment and the bullies. That was nothing, but I hated my father, whether if I was right or wrong, after fighting outside, I for sure would take a beating from my father at home.

My father’s logic was “Someone else takes a shit on your head, you clean it up yourself, being at a disadvantage is a blessing.” People say “the fox may grow grey, but never good”, this is all bull shit. How can a child’s personality not related to the parents?

Our children from an early age are living in lies and fairytales. What? Teacher and student are like father and son, listen to the teacher and follow the party. What if the teacher is a beast? We should respect him for a lifetime? Worse yet, many parents openly tell the teacher to physically punish their kids on their behalf. Our children are being violated in these seemingly moral actions, to the point they learn knowledge but forget about the basic human-nature of surviving as a highly intelligent animal. How sad is that?

The dead is gone, life is doomed to a one-way street. As someone else’s parents, we are unable to change China’s education, but then you should start with yourself, educate children some basic common sense. If you are wrong, please have the courage to admit your mistake to the children.

Respect the teacher, but do not show filial obedience to the teacher like you would to your parents. Teachers also have their own children.

Do not agree to use violence, but when violence is inevitable, tell the child to run, if can’t get away, just fight it!

If the bastard teacher is punishing a child, when the teacher is there, go ahead and be obedient, but when the teach is not there, just run away. This way is not only good for the child, but also is good for the teacher. At least, the teacher will be given a murderer hat, and the parents will not need to suffer the painful death of their children.

Here, we commemorate the “comfortable” death of student Zhang Jixin.

If there is an afterlife, must remember to run, run far away, far, far away…

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1250 on: December 30, 2009, 06:36:16 AM »
What a sad story.  alalalalal

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1251 on: December 30, 2009, 07:10:48 AM »
i'm really angry with the english press and government how they are making this big thing about that heroin smuggler

he was a rich guy who lost all his money and got so desperate for cash he smuggled heroin into china. they caught him and executed him

that's the story

they are making it out like it's some big thing, it's not.

england says 'let him off, he's a bit simple' twats. anybody who decides to get involved with hardcore drug smuggling into china has serious mental problems, they aren't going to let them off cos they are fucked up

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1252 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »
I've got mixed feelings.  If he was really unaware of the contents of the suitcase and was being used because he had mental issues, then I think he should have been let off lightly and deported on the condition that his passport be revoked and he never be allowed to travel internationally again - or at least until such time as his mental issues are "cured", thus making him 100% responsible for any future transgressions.

On the other hand, if he had the mental capacity to plan and carry out a heroin smuggling attempt, then I've got no issue at all with him being exterminated like any other vermin.  We aren't talking about a bag of weed here.  We're talking about 4 kg of something that destroys lives, wrecks families, and turns nice, trusted friends and family into criminals (yep, I had a relative slide down the slope from party person to burglarizing every relative in town to support her habit - it took multiple jail and prison sentences to finally get her back to being someone I could trust, mostly).  If he'd been caught with 4 kg of poison that was planned to be introduced into a town's water supply, no one would have worried about a harsh sentence.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1253 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:33 AM »
anybody who agrees to smuggle heroin into china has some serious mental problems. if they just deported people bringing serious amounts of heroin into the country for gangsters then it would be worth smuggling drugs for everyone cos the worst that could happen is you get sent home

like you said it's poison. personally i don't agree with the death penalty for anything, but china has the death penalty and this guy is caught bringing poison into their country so i don't understand why it's such a bad thing that they give him the harshest punishment that they have

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1254 on: December 30, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
I agree with Kitano.

Mental issues eh but well enough to raise 3 kids, get issued a passport, drivers license ....

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #1255 on: December 30, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
No excuses for the bum.  He was importing heroin and that is bad any way you can think of it, in any country.  Heroin destroys lives.  4kg of the shit isn't an accident. I don't buy the "I did it because I was stressed and suffering mentally."  Anyone who deals in narcotic death deserves their fate.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #1256 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
I share EL's mixed feelings. If (big if) it can be established that he was the more or less unwitting pawn of gangsters, and really didn't know what he was carrying for them, then yes a measure of leniency is called for. However I'm not a lawyer and I'm not initmately familiar with all the gritty details of the case, so I can't say.

I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that if the police have prepared a strong prima facia case against him, then it would be his (his lawyer's) duty to demonstrate his incapacity to take responsibility for his acitons. It would take more than just stating the claim. And no, phenomenally bad judgement is not proof of mental illness. (Going to the failure-wish thread, would you accept that as an excuse?)

In principle, I'm against capital punishment. If I'm going to debate the issue though, I'm certainly not going to use this clown as the poster boy for abolition. If anything, I see this as an example of why we foreigners should try not to meddle in China's internal affairs.

Wags

« Reply #1257 on: December 31, 2009, 02:18:03 AM »
Often I think, "Am I too critical of standards here?"  mmmmmmmmmm

But now I know, Nope, NOOOOOOT At all:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-12/30/content_9244857.htm

kkkkkkkkkk

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1258 on: December 31, 2009, 02:47:50 AM »
Was the bridge construction company president one of the people mentioned in the upstairs article??  ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1259 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »
Now you don't have to worry whether you have nice underwear on for strip searches.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/air-travellers-to-us-face-virtual-strip-search/story-e6frg8ro-1225814899575