What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2295 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »
They never said what they are going to do with the lands; raze, develop, keep it for future use. I think it's interesting to see what the intents are. I really don't believe that its to curb the population growth. If it was, then they should limit the new immigrants. With the hukao system, they can. Not that I agree with it, but they can
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #2296 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:28 AM »
Student visa system fraud exposed in BBC investigation

The Home Office has suspended English language tests run by a major firm after BBC Panorama uncovered systematic fraud in the student visa system.

Secret filming of government-approved English exams needed for a visa showed entire rooms of candidates having the tests faked for them.

The English Testing Service - which sets the exams - is one of the largest language testing firms in the world.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2297 on: February 11, 2014, 02:54:33 AM »

The Home Office has suspended English language tests run by a major firm after BBC Panorama uncovered systematic fraud in the student visa system.

Secret filming of government-approved English exams needed for a visa showed entire rooms of candidates having the tests faked for them.

The English Testing Service - which sets the exams - is one of the largest language testing firms in the world.

asasasasas

Makes what we do useless and substantiates what some privileged kids thought all along

« Reply #2298 on: February 11, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
It says "non-EU" students, but the fraudsters in the article appear to be ethnically Indian. Not sure how many Chinese students would end up in the relevant schools. Maybe a lot? Dunno.

BrandeX

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2300 on: February 12, 2014, 03:34:08 AM »

To put on my patronizing hat, the worst part of it is that they are only cheating themselves
 asasasasas

Makes what we do useless and substantiates what some privileged kids thought all along

« Reply #2301 on: February 13, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »

We might not hear from EL in a while, like 5 to 10 years maybe

ahahahahah

GUANGZHOU - A total of 920 suspects had been apprehended as of Wednesday in a crackdown on the illegal sex trade in South China's Guangdong province, local authorities said.

Police have swooped 18,372 entertainment venues, including 3,592 karaoke bars and 4,201 saunas in the province. A total of 38 Karaoke bars and 156 saunas and massage parlors have been closed, said the provincial public security bureau.The new crackdown came hours after a China Central Television (CCTV) program on Sunday revealed that a dozen hotels in Dongguan city were  offering sex services.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2302 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
They also caught a legitimate couple daring to have sex in a hotel room ahahahahah

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-02/10/content_17274833.htm

Had a very nice foot massage yesterday.  My massage girl told me the police had come through 5 times the day before.  I felt a little disappointed they didn't come back to check after I walked in.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2303 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:52 AM »
Would you want to be a Chinese university graduate?

Not all is rosy in the world of Chinese graduates. Job fairs around the country see tens of thousands lining up to look for better opportunities.

More than 15% of graduates were unemployed 2 months after graduation in 2013. And when they do find a job, it is often not what they had prepared or hoped for. Instead, it is often a fairly prospect-less role in a call center, as a sales agent, or as a receptionist.

To pile misery on misery, wages for graduates have been essentially flat in real terms since 2006, during which the average per square foot price of an apartment, the prerequisite of a middle class lifestyle, has risen 6% in real terms per annum, leaving new graduates with diminished prospects of getting on the real estate ladder.

The relative return of a degree is diminishing as urban salaries of those without university education converge with those that do – the former rising from 40% of the latter in 2006, to over 80% in 2012.

Chinese students must be asking themselves the question: Is university worth it?

Is that salaries stat right? aoaoaoaoao

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2304 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Would you want to be a Chinese university graduate?

Not all is rosy in the world of Chinese graduates.

This documentary is worth spending an hour watching -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP61LwODTnY

It should be required watching for any noob considering taking a job at a private university in China. My 'School of International Education' at a provincially-funded university is bad enough, but the 'privates' are beyond the pale.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:01:49 AM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2305 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
University Graduate: Are there any words I should know that will help me open doors

Councillor: Yes. "push" and "pull"

« Reply #2306 on: February 28, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Again, China Daily amazes me.

They have a feature on a 96 car pile-up on a highway just north of Toronto. Nobody hurt.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2014-02/28/content_17312080.htm

On a feed at the bottom of the page, 7 dead on a four car collision
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-01/06/content_17218384.htm

I'm not trying to downplay the death of anybody and I am saddened to hear about anyone hurt/killed in an accident. I just wish they'd report news properly. This rag has no problem showcasing the faults of others(especially the island nation just east of us with the rising sun). Then they minimize what happens here or have excuses. Of course, with the Chinese experts here who know everything and the dearth of foreign knowledge just makes me want to  .  .  .    

asasasasas

« Reply #2307 on: March 08, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »
Search intensifies for Malaysian airliner and 239 people, rescue ships head to sea

(CNN) -- [Breaking news update, Saturday, 1:28 a.m.]
The missing Malaysia Airlines plane crashed off the southern coast of Vietnam, Vietnamese and Chinese state media reported Saturday, both citing Vietnam's military. There has been no official confirmation of a crash.

[Original story, published Saturday, 12:54 a.m.]

Search intensifies for Malaysian airliner and 239 people, rescue ships head to sea
(CNN) -- China deployed two rescue ships to the South China Sea on Saturday as the search intensified for a missing Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 239 people, state-run broadcaster CCTV said.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing disappeared Saturday after air traffic controllers lost contact about 2:40 a.m. local time (1:40 p.m. ET Friday), Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN's "AC360."

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Sharuji said.

« Reply #2308 on: March 09, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »
Very sad about the plane. My husband was playing online games when we heard the news and immediately speculation about hijackings began to swirl.

It sounds a lot like the Air France crash a few years back. The plane was just ... gone.

Malaysian Airlines has dropped the ball bigtime on this one. They're getting all sorts of abuse on their Weibo site for waiting until the plane was due to arrive basically to announce it was missing and getting a search going. So you had all these families waiting for their loved ones at the airport who had no idea. The plane had been missing for at least 5 hours or so by then. They're also getting flack for still, as of now, not admitting that the plane has crashed. They're still saying it is "out of contact."

« Reply #2309 on: March 09, 2014, 03:01:14 AM »
Two of the safest ways to travel: airplanes and elevators. The reaction to this is usually a bevy of ignorant comments about never flying again.

Talk about poor people skills, what a brutal way to handle this disaster. First we're going to punch you in the gut, then before you have a chance to catch your breath, we'll kick you in the groin. There is no good way to be told a loved one has died, but there aren't too many worse ways