Stick me! Ouch that hurt.

• 18 replies

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
Stick me! Ouch that hurt.
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:14:25 AM »
So, yet another little thing popped into my head shots. What do should I get my children Immunized against? Not to worried about me just them. Don't want them breathing the air and dying of a virus instead of black lung. :-[
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

The Clan

Re: Stick me! Ouch that hurt.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Just checked the CDC website and basically it sounds like in need to live in a bubble. asasasasas Any um real advise?
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »
The best thing to do is contact your local embassy. Their visa/passport department would have a list of recommended vaccinations available. I had 8 or 9 shots before leaving for Zhongguo. If you have not departed for the oriental shores yet, contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They usually have some kind of travel section, with the different countries listed. Or, the easiest solution, contact your GP and he/she will tell you.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
All the Hepatitis Shots you can get......tetanus...TB......any other thing they offer child vaccinations for. Exotic diseases can be also catered for but it depends on where you are heading.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »
Depends on which part of China.  South you might consider malaria stuff, high country - don't worry about it.  Some areas you will want Japanese encephalitis - so again make some decisions after you know where you are going.

The Clan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
I am going to Shuangyashan. Done deal. Not too worried about malaria but don't know about the rest of it.
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

moon over parma

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
  Some areas you will want Japanese encephalitis

aoaoaoaoao

;)

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
I know Japanese Encephalitis if you'll be in the south.
You said you checked CDC and all they do is recommend but have none required.
I'm with others about the Hepatitis, and I'd add Typhoid, and as George said, a boatload of Tetnus.

The CDC list for East Asia:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eastasia.htm

The U.S. State Department posts  a list of clinics and basic insurance info:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:53:16 PM by teleplayer »

The Clan

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »
Um my daughter is completely unimmunized (kinda against it). Worms? Really scary or just a little?
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
Time is important. Hep B requires two shots 3 months apart!

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:34:43 PM »
The hep shots I took were called fast track.  Two shots one week apart then the final shot 1 year later.  I only had 2 weeks notice to fly to China so had to use the fast track. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Vegemite

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
I'd second what the above have said re hep and tetnus...and you need to get them done ASAP.
I'd also check with a health professional about rabies. Daughter and I didn't have rabies shots but we're both of an age where we know to be careful around dogs. Rabies is supposedly rampant in some parts of China.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
polio boosters for mom and dad...a long shot but it is a water borne virus and it is still around in some parts of the world, likely not up north but it's one I took since I knew I'd be doing some travelling.  There's not a whole lot of water treatment infrastructure in this part of the world.  I think you'll also be surprised at how little sewage treatment there is (outhouses are very common up here, even at newer petrol stations) not to mention the landfill management techniques of burning trash or dumping it behind some fenced off area in the neighbourhood.  Of course,things are likely a bit better in the big cities but I'm sure most expats still don't drink the tap water.

Having said that...they've just found lead exceedances in several municipal water systems in Ontario (Canada) and we're a developed country.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:01:45 PM by kcanuck »
I am still learning. Michelangelo

George

• My view of China
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »
Rabies is supposedly rampant in some parts of China.
Yep, and isn't just confined to dogs...lots of furry little critters can be infected!!

Vegemite

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 04:30:17 PM »
Rabies is supposedly rampant in some parts of China.
Yep, and isn't just confined to dogs...lots of furry little critters can be infected!!

Dancing chooks?

Explains a lot... ahahahahah