A teacher in a real mess

• 29 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: A teacher in a real mess
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »
And we laowai gotta stick together.

Naw, not all the laowai just the waijiao. Most of the businessmen I meet here are real... piyan

Get out as soon as you can. If the the school really has financial problems, there will just be a money grab with very little chance that the teachers (foreign or otherwise) will get their pay. No one will fix a problem here, they will duct tape it up until it explodes.

babala

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 11:45:53 PM »
Just an update

Nakeshia called me yesterday and no pay yet, normally they would have been paid then. They were told that the money went in yesterday just before 5pm but when they checked, there was nothing. I haven't talked to her today (I have to put money on phone) yet. She had an interview with a school in Suzhou today.

The other piece of news is that is seems the Chinese teachers are starting to bail. Chinese teachers have been seen moving out (never a good sign, it's like watching the canary come up dead out of mine).
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 11:54:20 PM »
Indeed.
As mentioned elsewhere, Chinese teachers don't have much portability. When THEY start moving on, you know it's getting serious.

Please try to get her out of there...

Where she lookin' in Suzhou? I've been making a lot of rounds and I'm pretty current on many of them. (PM is fine...)
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
I'm trying my best to get her out ASAP. She knows she is always welcome at my house and my school but the hours here aren't great when you have a child (ah hell, they are't the best to most). She is trying to find a job at an international school. Not sure of the name of the school she went to today. The interview today was about teaching math.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 12:41:46 AM »
Still no pay as of today. My friend is looking around but is keen to get out real soon, she is working part time in my school but doesn't like working weekends so is looking around for something else.

:(:(
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend's troubles. If she's looking to teach at international schools, has she tried Shanghai American School? I taught there last year, I could help her a bit... I'm now back in Canada but still have friends working there.

(This is off-topic, but now I know TIC actually means This Is Canada! Stupid me, I idealized home while living in China - I thought everything was perfect here!)
http://www.saschina.org/jobs/jobs.asp

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
For some reason I haven't seen this thread at all.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Nakeish. It would be best for you to pack and leave together with your daughter. And even better - to another city.
You can try to find a job in Beijing and Shanghai. At the moment Beijing's Wall Street English is hiring (www.thatsbj.com)

babala

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 07:41:42 PM »
I talked to Nakeshia this morning. In an intersting turn of events, the Chinese teachers were paid a portion of their salary but the foreign teachers have still not been paid. One FT bailed yesterday. She had a good interview yesterday and she has another interview in Shanghai next week so I have my fingers crossed for her.

fantomette, thanks for the link.

Cheeks, she doesn't want a training centre because of the hours. If she did, I'd take her right away. Her daughter is only 7 so she doesn't want to be out of the house as long as training centres require.

Vegemite

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 07:58:49 PM »
If she wanted to come up here, we have decent hours plus there are two other young girls, a six year old and a ten year old. They attend the local school and both mothers are sole-parents and their teaching schedules fit in well with school hours, they also share childcare. The families are Russian but the girls are learning English and are really good at Chinese.

Nakeshia

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
Fantomette,
Thanks for your offer to help. I'm interested in teaching at an International School, although I don't have a teaching certificate, I do have a Masters in Education and have been teaching here for 5 years. Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated.

Update for a teacher in a real mess: No salary as of yet. Word is maybe sometime this week. Don't you just love that word: "maybe"? Keeping our fingers crossed. Had an interview at Suzhou Foreign Language School aka SFLS, if anyone has any information about this school I'd love to hear it.

Hanging in there,
Nakeshia

babala

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:16 AM »
Hey just to report, she was paid her full salary yesterday  agagagagag

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 02:09:40 AM »
That's real good news.  bfbfbfbfbf Hope she finds something for next year though.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

phets72

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 10:00:45 AM »
Excellent - all the best for next year!

AMonk

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
 agagagagag Congrats on the pay!  Hope all comes straight on the job front, very soon.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »
In case of such disputes over pay in time, the PSB (Gong An) is not the right place to go. Contact the Bureau of Foreign Experts in your province instead. They often also have something like an arbitrition (mediating) function in such cases. Also remember it is illegal if the school fines you for having contacted Gong-An. If this happens again (salary nor paid in time or being withheld fore some reasons), please contact Bureau of Foreign Experts immediately. But only do so if you have valid Z visa converted into a residence permit. If you have come on a tourist of F visa, you may face problems with Chinese authorities for illegally working in China. Then, better do notr contact the authorities and leave the school immediately....
I myself had very positive experience with the State Bureau of Foreign Experts when I went there to explain my problems I have had with my previous school. Do not tell school before you do - let them have a certain surprise... a kind of "nice gift" from you. They hopefully will treat you more reasonably next time....smile.