What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2008, 05:59:19 AM »
It's a famous Chinese one.  Loaned my copy to someone and it has never returned.

« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2008, 06:50:19 PM »
It's one of the best novels I've ever read.  Keep an eye out for it, people!
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »

just started reading Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash which came highly recommended by some friends. pretty interesting so far
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »
Finished reading Galilee. Hmm.

Now going to try and get on with Ian McEwan's "Saturday" which I have already read some of, but which in my view has some seriously dodgy writing for such a good writer.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »
Tracked down Christopher Hibbert's "The Roots of Evil: A Social History of Crime and Punishment"...it's really good. The good old days weren't that good, if one was a criminal.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
George gave me Snow Crash.  Really enjoyed it, but Neuromancer by William Gibson was better.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2008, 05:10:44 AM »
Gibson is good.  Mr. N introduced them to me and I think I have all of his books, plus short stories now.

« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
For years now my dear, old, doddering dad has been clamouring on and on about a book. Normally, I pay no heed to the venerable old greybeard, as his incoherent mumbling usually revolves around the topic of me and my inability to appreciate the wonderful sensation of working with power-tools.
Frequently, the deluded chap will rant and rave for hours about different screws and show me drill after drill, sometimes he even gets so carried away that he hauls me off to a home depot, where he spends an hour salivating over yen another drill and complain about mom not letting him buy a digger. So you will understand that I am in the habit of tuning out his mad ramblings.
However, one thing did sink in. He has been going on about this book called "Francis" in which an American solider in Burma, this was when Burma was still called Burma, befriends a talking, flying mule named Francis. Well, you know me. Anything with talking animals get my attention. He only has a Danish translation of it and I don't read Danish translations of anything. They are anathema.
So I hunted it down, found an English copy on Amazon and read it last night. It's hilarious. David Sterne, "Francis", it will make you laugh out loud.
I'm sure that some of the..errr...more seasoned Saloonies have heard of it, possibly even watched the movie.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
That was made into a movie as well.  It was hilarious.  I saw it donkey's years ago - thank you for reminding me.

« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »
LE, I am envious...been trying to hunt down a copy of the movie as well.

« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:07 PM »
Started reading Alistair Reynolds's "Chasm City".  Had it on my shelf for ages.  It looks like just the sort of space opera I absolutely love (but haven't read enough of).
It is too early to say.

« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »
Finished with Laird Hunt's The Exquisite--it was rather unusual, but really cool. Now I'm on to Vonnegut's Slaughter House Five. I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally pick up one of his books.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2008, 01:36:11 AM »
just finished another Coelho masterpiece : The Witch of Portobello.

It's a great read but i feel like i have to go at it again because it's such a different way of telling a story...
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2008, 01:44:05 AM »
Anyone come across a chap called Jasper Fforde? Just started re-reading all his Thursday Next novels. The man is a genius.

AMonk

« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »
Just put in my Pre-Order ahahahahah for the newest Pratchett book....Nation (a kid's story)....and Folklore of the Disc World.  They are both due out in September of this year.

I will surely miss the man's stories....... alalalalal....... ananananan

But I've heard (interview on the BBC) that he's Pisched off and fighting mad about his "sentence".  No going "softly into that good night" for our boy.  He's started a charity and is funding research into cures.  Hope one comes soon enough to help him.  That would be really super.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:59:39 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...