When to reject offers? (related to late visa obtainment)

• 5 replies
When to reject offers? (related to late visa obtainment)
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I have a question for you all involving when I should reject offers that I don't want. It's more intricate than that though:

-I have 3 job offers
-1 I really want to take
-School year starts September 1st and I get my Bachelor's degree August 5th
-They can't start processing my visa until after August 5th
-All schools seem a little anxious about me getting the visa on time

So my concern is if I were to accept the job and reject the others, and then have it turn out a month or two from now that they won't be able to process my visa on time therefore not hiring me. By the time August rolls around and I were to find that out it would seem like I would be all out of luck for a university job (I would think?).

Basically, is this a realistic concern or am I just worrying too much? Everything sounds great and I couldn't be more excited, but I am pretty anxious.

Re: When to reject offers? (related to late visa obtainment)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Hi pjmuggsie :)

Can your university provide you with a 'certificate of completion of course' or a transcript before August 5th?

Some schools will accept this to get the ball rolling.

I'll tell you all my secrets but I'll lie about my past. (Tom Waits)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
When to reject offers?
When the pay is too low, absolutely or in terms of hours required.
When the employer can't or won't get you a Residence Permit.
When something about the contract, location, housing, etc. is simply unlivable for you.
When you strongly suspect you're going to get abused or ripped off.

Now...what you really need is a Residence Permit (RP), not a Visa. They're often confused, but definitely not the same thing. You generally pick up a new (not a renewal) Visa in your home country, or an intermediate third country, not China. A Visa gets you into China legally, but the RP is what actually lets you live and work in China.
Your degree status has no bearing on a Visa..but it definitely DOES have on applying for an RP.

On the case you cite...you should be fine. If the school can definitely get you an RP, and takes care of you while it processes, there should be no trouble at all. bjbjbjbjbj
When you enter China for a job, once you come in on your Visa you have 30 days to apply for an RP. As long as you're within this period, or the school can show that your RP is well in process, you should have no problems coming to teach September 1. bfbfbfbfbf

That said, be aware that things like offering jobs to more foreign teachers than they need and then withdrawing offers to the overage, or suddenly withdrawing your offer because they found another foreigner who demonstrates more stupidity than you do (ie by agreeing to take a lower salary), are pretty common in China...even in the face of a signed contract with you.

Be aware that in China, contracts are simply amusing novelties, sort of like party favors. Employers can and do violate or ignore or unilaterally change them with impunity, especially at someplace other than a SAFEA-regulated university. Chinese employers will get jiggy on using your contract to make sure YOU hold up YOUR end of the bargain, but show zero compunction to use it to regulate THEIR behavior. However, pasting Chinese contract sheets together for that plush 2-ply comfort, then rolling them tightly around a short cardboard core, at least makes them of some possible utility in the bathroom. ahahahahah

And be aware that in China, many schools' Foreign Affairs Officer (FAO), whose primary job it is to get you the documents you require, will in fact know next to nothing about actually getting you those documents. But since revealing this ignorance (or trying to eliminate it) would be too embarrassing for the FAO, they will say just about anything that pops into their heads, and/or make a total bollix of your applications, requiring extra time and hassle.

TIFC ("This Is Fucking China"). Coming here is always riskier than staying home. bibibibibi
Take some comfort from the fact that in most cases, things tend to come close enough to working out. agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
Hey thanks for the post it really clarified the RP/Visa thing up for because I was using them interchangeably. My main question here was when I should reject the 2 other offers I didn't want and not just leave them hanging. Luckily that cleared itself up for me without having to do it myself.

I completely understand the whole FAO incompetency you brought up. I contacted strictly universities and every one had a different answer for me. The good thing is I signed a contract with a SAFEA-regulated university where I know of several teachers already there. The lady in charge seems pretty knowledgeable about the process and all signs are good right now.

Anyways, I appreciate the response, and if you're still reading this do I need a to get a visa? Or since they're setting me up with an RP is that all I need?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
What you need is the paperwork to get a Z visa.  That's the proper visa for conversion to a res permit for those who want to work in China.

The school should be able to provide you with this.  They may balk a little since you don't have the bachelor's degree quite yet.  Just remind them that if you show up without it, they can instantly cancel your contract, so they aren't really risking anything.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
I just went through this recently with my folks and my mom did need to give the school a scanned copy of her degree before they could process her invitation letter she needed for her Z visa (not residence permit, but the Z visa she got while still in the States).

I came over to China way back in 2003 but, like the OP, at the time I hadn't recieved my actual diploma yet and I got a certified letter with the school seal on school letterhead stating that I'd completed my coursework (similar to what Cass suggested). That worked 8 years ago but I'm not sure it would cut it now. You could always try it though. I simply went to my advisor at my uni and he whipped something up for me.