palatino linotype

• 3 replies
palatino linotype
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
Why? It's a horrible font. Why do "writers" prefer it?

I acquired a copy of Scrivener (it's a drafting software thing that writers swear by and at), and it's chock full of Palatino Linotype in the tutorial. I've been looking through writers forums online, and lo, palatino linotype as the default forum font. But it's horrible! It hurts my eyez!

When Microsoft Word switched from Times New Roman to Calabri, I was like, no way, man. Now I'm like, way, man, because Calabri looks nice. I could cope with Ariel too. But Calabri is what I sue for all Word docs now. It also looks like shit in Scrivener, so perhaps it's not the font's fault. Maybe Palatino Linotype, underneath it all, is just perfecto.

/courier new
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: palatino linotype
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
But Calabri is what I sue for all Word docs now.

Is that a typo or do you mean litigation?

I don't see the big problem with palomino, not much different from the others you mentioned.

I use both comic sans and chalkboard. Especially for the little guys when I want them to rewrite what I wrote. It makes a big difference mostly for the letter "a"  And no extra curls or such so the kids see the same as when I write on the board
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
I'm just being all professionally and such. Grammar be dammed. I used to sue but then I used use.

In the printing of a novel, the favoured fonts turn out to be Garamond, Palatino, and Minion, and some others. Not Times. Thus I;m trying to make this Scrivener software show text like it would look in a book.

Apparently (source: internet) Palatino is preferred for non-fiction and Minion for fiction. They both look like spindly arse on my monitor, except when I squint and lean in close.

I need new glasses.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

old34

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
Scrivener is fantastic for working on docs, research, articles, etc. Been using it for years. Yes, the tutorial is written in Palatino (it's a PDF so the font is set) but that seems to be the creator's choice. And HE HAS created a a magnificent program so give him some slack. When you create your own Scrivener document, you are free to choose your own font (from whatever is on your machine).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.