• 8 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Rudd pushing Mandarin in Aussie schools
« on: October 09, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »

Schnerby

Re: Rudd pushing Mandarin in Aussie schools
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
Back in 2003 I went to a seminar about why you should keep learning an Asian language (specifically Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean). Kevin Rudd, then shadow foreign minister, was there to speak with us and encourage us high schoolers to keep learning.

I spoke with him in Mandarin and was pretty chuffed.

I can see why he would push Mandarin. It doesn't make much sense to learn French or German in an Aussie school.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
You spoke with Kevie - that must have been an uplifting experience for you Schnerby!!!

Did you see him on "The 7.30 Report" tonight - " I make no apology for the government's hard line on illegal immigrants ................etc."  He must have been looking at the
'Overboard' video clips!!  I see his approval rating has now hit 71% with the Australian electorate.   And what is our hope for good government now that the Liberal Party is in Total Self Destruct Mode!!

OMG, I'm glad I can insulate myself from the mad goings on here in China!!

The brown stuff happens!!

lol
wOZfromOZ

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:29 AM »
Nice one Schnerby!

I come from his 'hometown' (as the Chinese would say) and even went to his high school (Namboooorrring High, that is!)
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:07:47 PM »
Dead set - Did you know the Kuskophf's at Woombye? - I used to go surfing with Drew most weekends when at uni back in the 70's@!

cheers
wOZfromOZ

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:33 PM »
Nope, sorry. Woombye is another suburb that I went to school in- actually went to nambour High in grade 8 and 10, and Nambour Christian College there on the main road as you enter Woombye!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
The problem with teaching Asian languages [properly] in Australian schools is finding qualified teachers. Aussie students give people with bad English hell, so native speaking Asian language teachers are rare. I had to "team teach" with an Indonesian teacher for a while, just to control the class. That's not a staffing luxury too many schools can manage.

On the other hand, you have local teachers who studied the Asian language at uni, but aren't anywhere near native speaker competence.

Luckily there is a new breed who spend a year or two in the country [eg, Japan and the JET scheme] before graduating as teachers.

Unfortunately, capable Mandarin teachers are the rarest of all. bjbjbjbjbj
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

Aussie students give people with bad English hell

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Schnerby

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
You spoke with Kevie - that must have been an uplifting experience for you Schnerby!!!

It was 5 years ago, and his profile wasn't so big then. Was kinda funny though.

My two high school Mandarin teachers were both non-native speakers. One had a gift for learning languages (he taught 5 languages at final year high school level  aoaoaoaoao) and the other learned Manadrin at university and has a Chinese hubby.

Only the one with the remarkable ability with languages was really up to the task.