They're Bigger and Longer in Jiangsu

• 9 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
They're Bigger and Longer in Jiangsu
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
Our neighbors up the road just unveiled the world's tallest pagoda. If ya look closely, ya might pick Eagle out of the crowd!

The all ways-helpy China Daily adds:

NANJING - Leading Buddhist monks from China and overseas have gathered in Changzhou, in east China's Jiangsu province, to inaugurate the new Tianning Pagoda, believed to be the tallest pagoda in the world.

Buddhist monks participate in the opening ceremony of the Tianning pagoda at Tianning temple in Changzhou, China's eastern province of Jiangsu, April 30, 2007. The pagoda, which is 13 storeys, or 153.79 m (504.56 ft) high, is the tallest pagoda in the world. [Reuters]

Standing 153.79 meters, the 13-storey Zen Buddhist pagoda is nearly 42 meters taller than the Shwedagon Paya in Burma and 7.2 meters closer to the heavens than the Khufu Pyramid in Egypt.

Construction of the pagoda, which occupies about 27,000 square meters and cost about 300 million yuan (US$38.5 million) to build, began in April 2002.

Very tough wood from Burma and Papua New Guinea was used in the construction, while 75 tons of brass and gold went into the top of the building.

An enormous bronze bell, weighing 30,000 kilograms, graces the 13th floor. It can be heard from a distance of five kilometers.

Tianning Temple, one of the four largest Zen Buddhist temples, dates from the prosperous Tang Dynasty. It has been destroyed and rebuilt five times in the space of about 1,350 years.

The current abbot of Tianning Temple, 70-year-old master Songchun, has long cherished the desire to rebuild the pagoda. He has spent more than a decade raising the funds.

Tianning Temple and monastery is not Changzhou's only claim to fame. The city on China's Grand Canal is also known for its ancient comb industry and a Dinosaur Park containing dinosaur bones and fossils from all over China.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Newbs

Re: They're Bigger and Longer in Jiangsu
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Ain't that Eagle's neck of the woods?  Did he get an invite?  Do you need a dancing white monkey at the inauguration of a Buddhist pagoda?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »
Top photo, 3,724 rows back, 12,693rd guy from the right! bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Motzie

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:45:56 PM »
 bkbkbkbkbk

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
What a magnificent erection!  May this one stay up for longer.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

babala

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »
I hate to say it guys but living in Changzhou for over 2 years and seeing the temple everyday....I think it's giant eyesore uuuuuuuuuu
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:10:25 AM »
Sorry folks, but I wasn't there.  I was in Xi'an having a great meal in the Muslim Quarter when this all went down.  But, do not fear!  I will make a special visit (on a rare clear sky day) to the pagoda in order to take photos.  I did get a peek inside about a month ago and was suitably impressed.  Do they make erections bigger in Texas?
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:16:17 AM »
Do they make erections bigger in Texas?
No.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:44:44 AM »
The title of the post always catches my eye and I never quite remember what it's about... afafafafaf
I am still learning. Michelangelo

gengrant

• Go Phoenix
    • School Website
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:13:22 AM »
Do they make erections bigger in Texas?
Y'all are always tryin' to come up with ways to peek under me kilt!  It ain't happening.  My Texan erection is stayin' put under wraps for now.

afafafafaf
It\'s all good...unless it\'s moldy...then it\'s bad.

Newbs

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »
Okay Eagle you won!  Outta watching some unveiling of something in China and being the dancing white monkey OR tucking into some ripper food in the Muslim quarter of Xi'an, I reckon I know which one I'd prefer. bfbfbfbfbf