What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Vegemite

What's in the News
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
A warning for some of us...

Alcohol damages women's brains faster than men's
Reuters | Tuesday, 24 April 2007

The brain-damaging effects of alcohol strike women more quickly than men, a new study conducted in Russia confirms.

Female alcoholics performed worse on a number of tests of neurocognitive function compared with males, Dr Barbara Flannery from RTI International in Baltimore and her colleagues found.

However, Flannery cautioned in an interview with Reuters Health, the findings aren't good news for alcohol-dependent men. "Women are vulnerable to the extent to which they will experience the negative consequences of alcohol abuse and alcoholism more rapidly than men, but men will also experience it

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
So..... if ole Barbie there is a bit of a drinker herself, how can we trust her findings?

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:21:59 PM »
Latest findings indicate that the 'inactive product' created by alcohol dehydrogenase (the enzyme mentioned) is actually several times for active in the body,worse than alcohol itself, seems to be a carcinogen and probably is responsible for more of the damage to liver and brain than the alcohol itself. It is also this same substance that causes Chinese people to go red - they lack one of the genes to deal with this chemical in the blood. Which is acetaldehyde, for those that care.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »
Cool, Mr. Nobody, I care.  Like the chemical info and stuff like that. bfbfbfbfbf
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Vegemite

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:36:06 AM »
...this same substance that causes Chinese people to go red - they lack one of the genes to deal with this chemical in the blood. Which is acetaldehyde, for those that care.

I must have Chinese blood in me...I go red :-[

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
I must have Chinese blood in me...I go red
Nah! That's just embarrassment at your drunken behaviour!! ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
A smaller proportion of westerners also have this gene deficiency.

It means a reduced ability to deal with acetaldehyde. If alcohol makes you really nauseous then maybe you have this problem. It will also make for severe hangovers, and increased risk of damage from drinking.

Alcohol also dilates surface blood vessels. If a perosn is pale, then they will also go red. It isn't as obvious with darker people. Unless they have this gene problem.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Vegemite

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
I must have Chinese blood in me...I go red
Nah! That's just embarrassment at your drunken behaviour!! ahahahahah ahahahahah

I never get embarrassed kkkkkkkkkk,

...if one can't remember how can one be embarrassed :-[

Besides, it's my PI genes - we were originally settled by the Asians...a long, long time ago - so that bloody gene must have stayed stuck jjjjjjjjjj

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »
I just wanted to share this story from todays' guardian.  But it made my eyes water, so be warned.

A man burst into a busy central London restaurant and chopped off his own penis with a knife in front of horrified diners, police and reports said today.

The man - identified by the Sun as a 35-year-old Polish national - ran into Zizzi, in the Strand, at 9pm on Sunday.

"This guy came running in then charged into the kitchen, got a massive knife and started waving it about," Stuart McMahon, who was eating at the restaurant with his girlfriend, told the paper. "Everyone was screaming and running out as he jumped on a table, dropped his trousers and popped his penis out. Then he cut it off. I couldn't believe it."
 A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said a man aged between 30 and 40 was the only person hurt in the incident, and that his injuries were self-inflicted.

He was taken to hospital, where his condition was described as stable. According to the Sun, the man was being assessed by psychiatrists and was expected to be detained under the Mental Health Act.

The paper reported that police had subdued the man with CS gas spray and recovered his severed penis, which surgeons at St Thomas' hospital in central London attempted to re-attach. It was not known whether the operation had been a success.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »
OH MY GOSH!
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »
OH MY GOSH!

Do not order the Polish sausage in that restaurant!!!!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 08:24:44 PM »
 asasasasas Beat me to it, Stil.

Vegemite

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 04:42:01 AM »
Poor, poor guy...

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:27 PM »
Poor guy???? What about the poor unsuspecting diners?  aoaoaoaoao
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
Japanese!!  llllllllll llllllllll And we thought Chinese were silly!

Japanese fooled in poodle scam
April 26, 2007 - 8:59PM

Thousands of Japanese have been swindled in a scam in which they were sold Australian and British sheep and told they were poodles.

Flocks of sheep were imported to Japan and then sold by a company called Poodles as Pets, marketed as fashionable accessories, available at $1,600 each.

That is a snip compared to a real poodle which retails for twice that much in Japan.

The scam was uncovered when Japanese moviestar Maiko Kawamaki went on a talk-show and wondered why her new pet would not bark or eat dog food.

She was crestfallen when told it was a sheep.

Then hundreds of other women got in touch with police to say they feared their new "poodle" was also a sheep.

One couple said they became suspicious when they took their "dog" to have its claws trimmed and were told it had hooves.

Japanese police believe there could be 2,000 people affected by the scam, which operated in Sapporo and capitalised on the fact that sheep are rare in Japan, so many do not know what they look like.

"We launched an investigation after we were made aware that a company were selling sheep as poodles," Japanese police said, the The Sun reported.

"Sadly we think there is more than one company operating in this way.

"The sheep are believed to have been imported from overseas - Britain, Australia."

Many of the sheep have now been donated to zoos and farms.