Inbound shipping - how to get one large item into China?

• 5 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Inbound shipping - how to get one large item into China?
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Yeah, I should have done this when I moved and paid an exorbitant fee to have my personal belongings shipped over in a cargo container, but it's way too late for that now.

I'm secretly planning to acquire a canoe. (Secretly because my lovely wife who might be able to find this info doesn't want me to buy one.)  I can get a used one of the make and model my grandparents had at their home on a lake on eBay for a reasonable price (well under $1k).

The questions are:

How the heck do I get a 17' aluminum canoe shipped (door-to-door) to China for less than it costs to buy it?

What sort of fun can I expect from Chinese customs when this reaches the border?  Anyone have a clue what the duty rate is for used unpowered watercraft?

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Inbound shipping - how to get one large item into China?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
Yeah, I should have done this when I moved and paid an exorbitant fee to have my personal belongings shipped over in a cargo container, but it's way too late for that now.

I'm secretly planning to acquire a canoe. (Secretly because my lovely wife who might be able to find this info doesn't want me to buy one.)  I can get a used one of the make and model my grandparents had at their home on a lake on eBay for a reasonable price (well under $1k).

The questions are:

How the heck do I get a 17' aluminum canoe shipped (door-to-door) to China for less than it costs to buy it?

What sort of fun can I expect from Chinese customs when this reaches the border?  Anyone have a clue what the duty rate is for used unpowered watercraft?

get one built here... no other way.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »
Hey man, I might know a few local folk who can make one for you.

But, if you insist on international shipping, gotta add your local phone number to the address.

Also, second tip, just put your phone number on it. SRSLY, they literally will keep it somewhere forever, then ship it back, unless you include your local number.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »
I've encountered the Chinese obsession with the phone number being the absolute most important part of any shipping address, even if I'm sending to a US PO Box with a Zip+4 postal code.  mmmmmmmmmm

Did hook up with a guy connected to a boat building company once, but then he decided they couldn't handle aluminum or canoes, only medium sized fiberglass powerboats.

Tree, if you know someone in China (preferably as close to the Pearl River Delta as possible) who can really build a proper aluminum canoe, I'm sure I can get most of the specs and find a pile of pics covering quite a few of the details online.

Alternatively, if anyone knows someone shipping their personal household goods from the US to China, I'm willing to discuss subletting some space from them.
EscapedLunatic.com

old34

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
Find a Decathalon near you. They carry Boating and Fishing supplies. Visit or call and ask someone there where to find a boat/canoe.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:59:44 PM »
Find a Decathalon near you. They carry Boating and Fishing supplies. Visit or call and ask someone there where to find a boat/canoe.

Thanks.  I tried searching for canoes on their website.  All they had was a small inflatable boat.  Guess I can try to check one of their stores for more info.
EscapedLunatic.com