Bought and paid for

• 66 replies

Hossuru

• boni pastoris est tondere pecus non deglubere
Re: Bought and paid for
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »
The judges penalized the American girls more harshly than their Chinese counterparts.

In the words of Bela Karolyi "the Americans were ripped off".

See also: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/18/olympics2008.olympicsgymnastics

They cheat, no doubt about it.
I guarantee you that if they played fair, they'd have no medals in gymnastics.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:48:26 PM by Hossuru »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »
Nastia's score correct, says beleaguered judge

Linda Pearce | August 20, 2008

A SCORING controversy has engulfed the Olympic gymnastics competition for the second consecutive Games, and this time a Sydney judge is caught in the maelstrom. Gymnastics Australia yesterday defended Helen Colagiuri, the experienced official criticised by Soviet great Valeri Liukin after his daughter, all-around champion Nastia Liukin, failed by the tiniest margin to win uneven bars gold.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/gymnastics/aussie-gymnastics-judge-comes-out-fighting/2008/08/19/1218911722757.html
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »
 bibibibibi

The 'people' in general have been ripped off by the Olympics for at least 20 years.

Whatever happened to sports for sports sake? When professionals got involved, it started to suck. With drugs and politics it completely sucked.

If 'people' stopped paying attention to things like the Olympics and more to local sports, it might be better.

Maybe an arts festival or something would do as good. Or a Science Fair.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
We were watching female basketball between Czech and Aussies. So at the end Czechs had to do some 4-pointer. And on display it was some 5-pointer which doesn't even exist in the world of basketball (I don't know the terminology but the commentators were like - someone obviously made a mistake because there is no such thing). Aussies were winning anyway so that extra point wouldn't do any good to Czechs but watching that makes me wonder how many *mistakes* have been actually made so far.

Hossuru

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »
Whatever. I just lost almost all my respect of the Chinese because of this.
They know those girls aren't 16 and still let them compete.

F'in Pathetic.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »
The judges penalized the American girls more harshly than their Chinese counterparts.

In the words of Bela Karolyi "the Americans were ripped off".

See also: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/18/olympics2008.olympicsgymnastics

They cheat, no doubt about it.
I guarantee you that if they played fair, they'd have no medals in gymnastics.

The link is a little different than bought judges.

Intresting guarantee. Do you mean the men's team too?

Whatever. I just lost almost all my respect of the Chinese because of this.
They know those girls aren't 16 and still let them compete.

All Chinese? Come on man, it's sport. If you're not cheating. you are not trying hard enough. All countries, all sports.

Hossuru

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »
I'm talking women only. My family has gymnastic ties (women's) so I'm used to seeing these routines.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »

All Chinese? Come on man, it's sport. If you're not cheating. you are not trying hard enough. All countries, all sports.

Cheers, Still.  agagagagag It's only cheating if you get caught. I'm a big sports fan and I love cheaters. Roberto Duran anyone?

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
 BTW I went to the welterweight boxing quarterfinals on Sunday. There was a match between Korea and the US. The American sat on his heels for two rounds and finally the Korean opened up. The Korean won most of the key exchanges and won 11-9. Deservedly so. The Americans in the audience behaved terribly, booing the guy who made the fight. At the concession all I heard was Americans whining about the decision.

I am SO sick of hearing people complain about the scoring in the games. Nothing more annoying than a sore loser.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »

I am SO sick of hearing people complain about the scoring in the games. Nothing more annoying than a sore loser.

Amen..  agagagagag agagagagag
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »
One thing i don't like is the sort of free agency thing going on.

The 'strongest man in the world'. Super heavyweight weight lifting champ for Germany but last Olympics competed for Austria. He had a fight with the Austrian Olympic committee so moved and became a citizen of Germany.

Americans fast-tracked citizenship to compete for Russian basketball.

Many countries are doing this including most if not all 'Westerrn countries'

When one of these atheletes win and then runs around with a flag, it really seems ..... off.

This seems like organized cheating to me. I prefer the pure type of cheating, like throwing an elbow the ref can't see kind of thing.

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »
If the athletes were not allowed to run a victory lap with their countries' flags, if their sundry flags were not raised, if their respective anthems were not played, would that make a difference?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 06:36:30 AM »
Run with your flag - that's great but if you get citizenship soley to compete in the olympics is it really your flag?

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
Now that, my friend, is a good question. Ask Ben Johnson, who went from pride of Canada to shame of Jamaica in less time than it takes to pee in a cup. (And the American they gave his gold to wasn't clean either, but that's another story)

Rajin

• Kickass and eat cheezeballs
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »

Right. I'm pissed about a bronze.

The reason I brought it up was because I believe the judges need to be more competetant. Competition after competition, we've seen judges miss HUGE deductions and points.

Boxing. Gymnastics. Baseball. Take your pick and you'll find judging which hasn't been up to par whether my country was in it or not.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:10:00 PM by Rajin »