Skin: eat or don't eat? or other stupid eating habits

• 42 replies
Skin: eat or don't eat? or other stupid eating habits
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »
I hope from the thread title you're not disappointed. I'm talking about fruits and vegetables folks.  

We have no food in the refridgerator so off we went to buy shtuff. Came home and I started picking. The g/f noted I never remove the skin off peaches, kiwis and she just realized I don't peel potatoes. Even the locals who I've eaten with find this wierd.   mmmmmmmmmm

Now mind you, if properly washed I do like orange and lemon rind.   ::)  

Any other eating habits the locals find odd in you?

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Skin: eat or don't eat? or other stupid eating habits
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »
I crunch the packets of instant noodles to make the pieces of noodle small, rather than long.  They figure this is pretty weird.

I also cook baked or boiled potato (in their jackets) whole, rather than sliced and diced.  Same with certain types of pumpkin.

I eat apples like apples (ie retaining a core in the centre), rather then cutting them into pieces, and I eat right down to the 'green' on watermelon.  I will eat capsicum whole (like and apple).

Technology determines food preparation. Chopsticks = small pieces, knives and forks = bigger pieces.

synthette58

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:57:01 AM »
I shared a whole (giant!!........for China) chicken last night with 4 other people - using only chopsticks!! (and I got the wishbone!! na na nana naaa!)

guess that makes me a 'real' man, eh????
 ahahahahah

(we have yet to see how the crabs fare next weekend.............maybe I'll just impale one and work my way in!  aoaoaoaoao)

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
With apples, I even eat the core.  Everything but the stem.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:11 AM »
I peel the skin off peaches. Hate the fuzz. Peaches have to be ripe enough so the skin peels off easily. I don't peel nectarines. 

I like my apples and bananas on the 'green' side, but my other fruit very ripe.

I eat watermelon down to the white part.  Prefer it sliced rather than scooped like the Chinese people do at home.

Wont buy a whole chicken in China even though I desperately want one.  The have the heads on and I don't want the head.  I have begged them to cut the head off (I will pay for it) but they refuse.  llllllllll So in 4 years here, with an oven too, no chicken.  Dang!! asasasasas llllllllll
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:54:54 AM »
We buy whole chickens all the time, my husband loves stewing them, usually whole, and making a great chicken soup, head and all. We don't eat the head, but it is there anyhow. However, they will cut the thing into pieces for us if we ask them, so I don't know why they refuse you DS.  mmmmmmmmmm

We also peel all our fruit in this house, and potatoes too since usually my husband is cooking Chinese style with them.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:28 AM »

(we have yet to see how the crabs fare next weekend.............maybe I'll just impale one and work my way in!  aoaoaoaoao)

Since you seem to be planning ahead, just shave closely and slather in oil. Sounds like you're planning a hell of a time for next weekend.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
Since you seem to be planning ahead, just shave closely and slather in oil. Sounds like you're planning a hell of a time for next weekend.

You are talking about food, right?

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
I think he is talking about crabs.  But the smaller variety  aoaoaoaoao agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »
Only in China! We went to a restaurant for dinner, cold meat and hot water. We tried to get the meat heated and the water chilled - no luck (no luck was not the name of the waiter  bibibibibi)

Ended up going somewhere else that had hot meat and cold drinks.

Ruth

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »
The locals think my habit of eating raw vegetables is odd.  My salad-eating habit in a land that cooks lettuce gets commented on.  When I serve carrot and celery sticks with dip I get asked, 'Do you always eat them like this?'
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »
Isn't this habit to do with the chemicals (E.g. DDT) and fertilizers (human feces) still used in many parts of China?

I know a guy married to a local gal who reminds him to "wash the peasant shit off" the vegetables before cooking. Yum.

Schnerby

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »
Ewwwwwwwwwww.....

But I love raw veggies!

I don't make salad here, and I cook pretty much everything. Fruit gets a good wash and I don't eat Kiwi fruit skin like I do at home. I know it grows on a vine, but I still couldn't wash it as well as I would like.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:24:31 AM »
As long as veggies are washed, there shouldn't be a problem. The Babe makes salads in summer, and I take tomato sangers to school.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:34:32 AM »
Rice.  I only eat half or less than half a bowl with my meals.  This bemuses the people I eat with, but the fellas are now used to taking half of my rice.