Why do western nations continue to arm other nations?

• 35 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Why do western nations continue to arm other nations?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »

But, whatever. I hate to come off sounding so uptight and such my first few days here, but I feel how I feel and so do others. I believe this forum has the ability to allow me to ignore posters that I feel are vulgar and rude... and if not, it's easy enough to create a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

You don't seem uptight to me. I don't think there is any problem in talking about what we find rude. I wish more people would talk calmly about these kind of things. many times when there is critism on forums it is either extremely aggresive or comes across as a sermon to the ignorant. You were neither.

As your grease monkey script, if you do create one, I will probably end up on your list as I tend to be rude and vulgar.

moon over parma

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »

I wasn't intending to point any specific fingers at any nations.

I didn't get the impression you were. I only agreed with with Lono Tiki in someone using a bird-flipping emoticon to a flag as being insulting. You weren't the one plying those theatrics. You presented an article and highlighted what you felt was pertinent. No snark. No insults. No deliberate nation-bashing.

Lono Tiki

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »
While I probably (got mixed feelings) disagree with Lotus Eater on this one, I think her post was good for starting a friendly discussion. As "moon over parma" pointed out, my beef was with the flipping the bird, not the article.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 11:42:09 PM »
alright everybody has made nice. Can we please go back to vulgar and rude now?

Lono Tiki

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
Not until the GreaseMonkey script is ready... cause I tend to really flip off the deep end on some topics. Best to be able to hide from those that'll provoke me.  wwwwwwwwww

George

• My view of China
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 01:19:05 AM »
I reckon it's not the "flag" that gets up people's noses, but the Government running that flag up the pole! I would never burn an Australian flag, but if john howard was on fire, I wouldn't spit on him!!!......not even  bbbbbbbbbb  on him. So don't get upset about USAnian posters hating USAnia. It's not the flag, but the wavers!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 02:14:41 AM »
The flag?  It is but a piece of cloth.  America was not founded on a piece of cloth.  It was founded on values and principles.  That's what I learned in grade school anyway, although revisionist historians might have another take. 

I'm an American.  I've paid my taxes.  I've even served my country in the military and risked my life in combat to help an oil rich so-called ally.  I am a patriot in the truest sense, but anyone can see that America has lost its way.  Socially, politically, and diplomatically, we have much to learn.  I have no qualm with anybody who chooses to point that out. 
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 02:20:11 AM »
The flag?  It is but a piece of cloth.
Disagree! It is a symbol of our country, but not necessarily a representation of our government. I will reserve the right to put shit on any politician I feel denigrates my country in any way, but I won't put shit on the symbol of my country.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 02:26:59 AM »
That's cool.  I have no interest in desecrating the flag myself, but I couldn't care less if others do.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:28 AM »
I have no special allegiance to the flag - maybe because of being forced to salute it every morning at primary school. It was after all the result of a competition - with a prize of $(pound)25 for the winning entry.  I would rather see a flag that actually encompasses some real Australian history - including Aboriginal history.

But I also see it as reasonable protest to burn a flag to demonstrate anger towards a country's policy - including the policies of your own country.

Unfortunately, the country's leadership is also the symbol of that country, and such is representative of the wishes of the people of that country.  Unless of course you happen to belong to a totalitarian country and have no voting rights.

This is one of the reasons I am currently deeply ashamed of Australia and by extrapolation those who voted for the current leadership.

Now flipping a bird to a koala or kangaroo - NEVER! An emu might get me.

moon over parma

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 08:33:03 AM »
That's cool.  I have no interest in desecrating the flag myself, but I couldn't care less if others do.

Agreed.

I don't like it, and I think the flag waving zealots and flag burning zealots are wastes of flesh who acomplish sweet  f. a. with their actions/thugism, but they have their right(s) to do it. Personally, flags make me sick. Beliefs are not something you attach to a rag. It's action. Actions are what prove the mettle of a man. Nationalism is little more than saber-rattling, chest thumping, mouth breathing insecurity on a international level.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:39:12 AM by moon over parma »

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:59 AM »
Wow who knew I would rub so many people in so many ways. I am proud to be an American. Just not proud for what, I feel, the majority of Americans stand for. The people don't even know the words (or commas) in the pledge of allegiance, but if you were to ask them who won American Idol they could tell you the winners for every season. The flag as a symbol of freedom has long since taken a different meaning, being marketed on t-shirts, blankets, and bikinis. The flag that was never allowed to touch the ground is now laid and sat upon or covering the nipples of a woman. I was not giving the bird to the real flag but a computer animation. Two of my brothers are former military, my father is a retired police officer, and I am an eagle scout; I just hate what America is becoming, or better...more blatantly becoming, Big Business at anyones cost.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:17:08 AM by The Clan »
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

moon over parma

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
Big Business at anyones cost.

Corporate communism. It's disgusting. I'm with you regarding the dire state the U. S. is in, and I strongly suspect will forever be that way. It's the quasi-combo of theocratic terrorism from the religious right and corporate communism by the coffer-liners. When over 50% of Americans refute the scientific facts of evolution you know the empire's on the road to ruin. Too bad calling Ghostbusters isn't an option. I've had my fill of the corporate communism and the Bush taliban.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »

Agreed.

I don't like it, and I think the flag waving zealots and flag burning zealots are wastes of flesh who acomplish sweet  f. a. with their actions/thugism, but they have their right(s) to do it.

The history of activism and real change is littered with symbolic acts such as flag burning, bra burning etc.  The symbolic action is a rallying call to many others to take part - it shocks and awakens far more than letters to the editor or other equally legitimate forms of protest. These forms of action - and they are actions - are reasonable protest actions.  They don't represent a "waste of flesh" unless they are followed by no other actions.  But in general those who have used these methods also employ many other forms of protest and action as well. This one often makes the news more easily.

I'm not too sure of the definition of 'corporate communism'.  I would have said more 'corporate fascism'.  Communism is (theoretically) the common ownership of capital, goods and services incorporating an equal distribution.  I don't see that occurring in any country at the moment - especially not in western or developed countries and clearly not within the corporate west! (That the communist philosophy hasn't worked to date because of the greed and ego of leaders is beside the point. ahahahahah)

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 03:24:50 PM »
Lets all just follow Marx down with all institutions! No wait I like my family.
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!