What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1305 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
What would be the fun in living in a place like that?  I much prefer being the only white guy in the village.  bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1306 on: March 05, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
Going swimming in the rivers?

China’s government on Tuesday unveiled its most detailed survey ever of the pollution plaguing the country, revealing that water pollution in 2007 was more than twice as severe as was shown in official figures that had long omitted agricultural waste.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/world/asia/10pollute.html?sudsredirect=true

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #1307 on: March 05, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »
Author to sue James Cameron over Avatar06:00 AEST Fri Mar 5 2010

Beijing man Zhou Shaomou claims he wrote a science-fiction novel called Tale Of The Blue Crows in 1997 which bears striking similarities to the plot of Cameron's film, Sky News reports.

The book centres around a group of explorers who travel to a distant planet inhabited by blue-skinned beings, he said.

"I wrote in my novel that their space journey took them six years but in Cameron’s movie the journey takes them five years nine months and 22 days," he said.

"I was shocked when I first saw that — it is too close."

Zhou said he never thought he would get a publishing deal for the book so he released it online, where he claims it has been read by more than 10 million people.

He now plans to sue Cameron for $162 million in copyright infringement.

Zhou has reportedly tried twice to get his case heard in China but was denied both times.

Beijing-based lawyer Yang Huipeng told Sky News that Zhou would be better off taking his case to a US court, where any legal judgement would have greater effect.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1308 on: March 05, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Author to sue James Cameron over Avatar06:00 AEST Fri Mar 5 2010

Beijing man Zhou Shaomou claims he wrote a science-fiction novel called Tale Of The Blue Crows in 1997 which bears striking similarities to the plot of Cameron's film, Sky News reports.

The book centres around a group of explorers who travel to a distant planet inhabited by blue-skinned beings, he said.

"I wrote in my novel that their space journey took them six years but in Cameron’s movie the journey takes them five years nine months and 22 days," he said.

"I was shocked when I first saw that — it is too close."

Zhou said he never thought he would get a publishing deal for the book so he released it online, where he claims it has been read by more than 10 million people.

He now plans to sue Cameron for $162 million in copyright infringement.

Zhou has reportedly tried twice to get his case heard in China but was denied both times.

Beijing-based lawyer Yang Huipeng told Sky News that Zhou would be better off taking his case to a US court, where any legal judgement would have greater effect.

he should sue the smurfs as well

Dex

« Reply #1309 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
Boy oh boy...

...RIP to greed. I hope.
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #1310 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:11 AM »
What if he's right? It wouldn't be the first time.

On the other hand, the folks who brought us Pocahontas and Fern Gully are still in discussion with Cameron
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1311 on: March 07, 2010, 02:54:56 AM »
The Last Samurai has the same plot.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1312 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
gullivers travels, robinson crusoe etc

« Reply #1313 on: March 07, 2010, 05:43:48 AM »
princess mononoke, dances with wolves...

it's a standard narrative trope
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1314 on: March 12, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
Professor charged over 'wife-swap' parties

A professor in east China's Jiangsu Province has been charged with assembled pruriency after allegedly operating an online partner-swapping community that organized 22 illegal orgies.
The professor, 53, surnamed Wang, allegedly joined 18 of the games, becoming the oldest and highest educated participant, Xinhua news agency reported today.
Another 21 members of the community also faced the charge by Qinhua District People's Procuratorate in Jiangsu's capital Nanjing, Xinhua said.
Under Chinese law, assembled pruriency constitutes organizing sexual activities for a group of men and women.

Wang faces up to five years in jail if convicted.

Wang, an assistant professor at a Nanjing university, had been living with his mentally ill mother after being divorced twice, the report said.
He launched an online community to promote the games, where he encouraged couples to swap partners, Xinhua said. At its peak, there were 190 members, prosecutors said.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2010/201003/20100311/article_430882.htm#ixzz0hrfDLDJs

« Reply #1315 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »
Some students raised this in class today...took me a while to figure out what they were talking about. Apparently this man is very famous in China these days.
http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news10678.html
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1316 on: March 12, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
That's a pretty crazy story...

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #1317 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
Some students raised this in class today...took me a while to figure out what they were talking about. Apparently this man is very famous in China these days.
http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news10678.html

China Smack (http://www.chinasmack.com/) is an interesting site, English summaries of hot topics on Chinese blogs and net forums. Fascinating.

They covered "Brother Sharp", the cool-looking homeless guy, a week or two back. A current story says the net.buzz about him enabled his family to find him. He's had a shave and is back in the home town.
http://www.chinasmack.com/stories/brother-sharp-family-reunion-netizen-photoshops/
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1318 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
Hope everything works out for the poor guy.
BTW - How is the state of China's mental health services?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1319 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
Should we be surprised that Professor Wang was arranging sex parties?  bhbhbhbhbh
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com