What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2655 on: September 20, 2016, 04:16:58 PM »
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2656 on: September 23, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »
Along with the Dalek invasion:

http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/0922/c90000-9118480.html

AnBot, China's first intelligent security robot, starts work at Shenzhen airport.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2657 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »
Whatever you to, don't press the EXTERMINATE button. aoaoaoaoao
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2658 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2659 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »
Chinese lecturer to use facial-recognition technology to check boredom levels among his students

A Chinese university lecturer is using facial-recognition technology on his students to help determine the level of interest in his classes, a tool he said could be used in wider education.

Science professor Wei Xiaoyong developed the new “face reader” to identify emotions which suggest if students are bored or stimulated.

His technique produces a “curve” for each student showing how much they are either “happy” or “neutral”, and that data can indicate whether they are bored, he said.

“When we correlate that kind of information to the way we teach, and we use a timeline, then you will know where you are actually attracting the students’ attention,” Professor Wei told The Telegraph.

“Then you can ask whether this is a good way to teach that content? Or if this content is OK for the students in that class?”...

Automating this kind of measurement means the next step is countermeasures. Special makeup, certain hairstyles, unusual frames for glasses, even just happy face masks. And eventually it means legal measures, like a codification of what aspects of your own public presentation you own or don't own. The old rule of "you own nothing in public" is an inadequate convention precisely because these days it serves only the interests of the data collectors.

Buy your emoticon shroud now. Or make your own! Draw a smiley face on a pillowcase and never be spotted again.

« Reply #2660 on: October 17, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
you need state of the art facial-recognition technology to know if your students are bored? Another case of technology making us stupider than we were before.

« Reply #2661 on: October 27, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
China officials stuff cotton gauze into air monitoring equipment to falsify results

China has detained five local officials after they jammed cotton gauze into sensors used to monitor pollution in an attempt to improve air quality readings, media reported.

The environmental officials had also tampered with computers to alter the results of pollution monitoring in the northern city of Xi’an, reports said.

China has vowed to wage a “war on pollution” and Beijing has set targets for local governments to cut levels of smog.

Authorities are also trying to collate emissions data to help them punish high-polluting businesses, but ensuring information is reliable has proved a challenge.

A member of staff from the Environmental Protection Bureau in Xi’an’s Chang'an district confirmed to The Telegraph that police had detained a group of officials in an investigation into falsified air quality data.

The Global Times newspaper citied local reports saying: “Officials in charge of environmental protection blocked the samplers to make the data ‘look better’ and avoid penalties for high pollution in their area of responsibility.”

Readings of PM2.5 – toxic particles small enough to deeply penetrate the lungs – can decrease by 30-50 per cent if cotton is used to cover air-monitoring equipment, an expert cited by The Beijing News said....

« Reply #2662 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
Average salary in major Chinese cities is $900 and growing

The average salary among 32 major cities in China stands at 6,070 yuan ($922.64) for job vacancies posted online for the winter of 2015, with Beijing topping the list at 9,227 yuan, followed by Shanghai (8,664 yuan) and Shenzhen (7,728 yuan), thepaper.cn reported according to online data released by zhaopin.com, a leading job hunting website....

China Daily, so who knows if the figures are real, but I was looking up average salaries today because a shopkeeper I know asked me mine and when I told him he was about set to lose his shit, which is something I haven't seen the locals do in freaking years and I just wondered because doesn't everyone know foreigners aren't automatic "rich man" these days? Don't they see regular staff owning cars and houses and put two and two together? I think they probably do but I wondered

« Reply #2663 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Trump 'tantrums' signal trouble for China-US relations – state media

After president-elect controversially spoke with Taiwan leader, Communist party-controlled tabloid warns Beijing must be ready to ‘strike back’

China must prepare to strike back against Donald Trump’s reckless “tantrums”, a Communist party-controlled tabloid has warned, as a series of snubs to Beijing from the US president-elect continued to generate diplomatic aftershocks.

Trump’s decision to hold a protocol-trampling conversation with Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen last Friday and his subsequent Twitter attacks on China have caused consternation in Beijing.

China’s official public reaction has so far been measured....

A-Train

« Reply #2664 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »
Trump 'tantrums' signal trouble for China-US relations – state media

After president-elect controversially spoke with Taiwan leader, Communist party-controlled tabloid warns Beijing must be ready to ‘strike back’

China must prepare to strike back against Donald Trump’s reckless “tantrums”, a Communist party-controlled tabloid has warned, as a series of snubs to Beijing from the US president-elect continued to generate diplomatic aftershocks.

Trump’s decision to hold a protocol-trampling conversation with Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen last Friday and his subsequent Twitter attacks on China have caused consternation in Beijing.

China’s official public reaction has so far been measured....

The Trump team's nuanced response to criticism.

Updated 12:10 AM ET, Tue December 6, 2016

(CNN)Stephen Moore, a former economic adviser to Donald Trump, defended the President-elect's recent call with the president of Taiwan, saying in a local radio interview that he didn't care if it upset China.

"Taiwan is our ally," Moore said in a radio interview Monday on the Big John and Ray Show on WLS AM890. "That is a country that we have backed because they believe in freedom. We oughta back our ally, and if China doesn't like it, screw 'em."
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #2665 on: December 10, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »
I'm of two minds re The Trump. On the one hand, he's really and truly not presidential at all. George Bush Jr at least had the pedigree. Trump by contrast is like a used car salesman. All that Art of The Deal crap is not special wisdom carted down through the ages. It's just, frankly, situational boorishness. But on the other hand, as a wild card he gets to say all the stuff "people" want to say, but to say it from a position of power. Which is kind of cool, even as it is inherently destablising.

A-Train

« Reply #2666 on: December 11, 2016, 12:44:03 AM »
I'm of two minds re The Trump. On the one hand, he's really and truly not presidential at all. George Bush Jr at least had the pedigree. Trump by contrast is like a used car salesman. All that Art of The Deal crap is not special wisdom carted down through the ages. It's just, frankly, situational boorishness. But on the other hand, as a wild card he gets to say all the stuff "people" want to say, but to say it from a position of power. Which is kind of cool, even as it is inherently destablising.

Well I hope the first brain is dominant. I have no doubt that he is a total sham. But, one who actually believes that he's the best and brightest. I also like that he can say things that others don't and wants to turn the system inside out. However, I don't believe he has the qualities to put it back together again in any workable way. This was a Change election and he was its agent. But, change isn't about blowing everything up, it's about bringing something new forward. Sanders was probably that person, but the DNC just had to put its thumb on the scale and snuff him out.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #2667 on: December 12, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
Trump Says U.S. Not Necessarily Bound by “One China” Policy

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump questioned whether the United States had to be bound by its long-standing position that Taiwan is part of “one China” and brushed aside Beijing’s concerns about his decision to accept a phone call from Taiwan’s president.

“I fully understand the ‘one China’ policy, but I don’t know why we have to be bound by a ‘one China’ policy unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Sunday....

AMonk

« Reply #2668 on: December 12, 2016, 11:31:03 PM »
The not-so-great T.rump R is at it again bibibibibi

T.rump = T.rex cousin, with small hands, large mouth and smaller brain
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2669 on: December 21, 2016, 07:22:44 PM »
China asks foreigners to put questions to Premier Li

China's central government has for the first time asked foreigners what they would like to ask Premier Li Keqiang as he prepares his annual work report for next March's meeting of the country's largely rubber-stamp parliament.

China has previously solicited questions from ordinary Chinese people for Li, which can be submitted online, but is now unusually using English to offer foreigners the same opportunity.

"Are you living, working, studying, traveling in China or doing business with Chinese companies? Do you want to have your say about what is happening in China, how it is making government policies and how you are benefiting?" the government said in an English statement on its website.

"Premier Li Keqiang wants to hear your views and include them in China's policy making," it said, next to a cartoon picture of a smiling Li.

"Individuals, businesses and other organizations with an interest in or expert knowledge on any issue can help shape the government work report in 2017. The Chinese government welcomes and appreciates your participation."

Underneath, foreigners are invited to offer comments on areas such as the environment, tax and "internet integration".

A few comments, apparently some from foreigners judging by their names, are also shown, though nothing on sensitive issues like human rights or censorship.

"I hope the government could do more to curb pollution," wrote someone identified as Adam.

"Cut more administrative fees and licenses," said another person called Gary.

The announcement appeared on the website on Tuesday.

Big Chinese cities like Beijing and Shanghai have thriving foreigner communities, and the government is also trying to attract highly qualified foreigners to live longer-term in China, especially those with science qualifications.

But it has run into problems with the country's notorious smog and tight internet controls putting some people off. The government has also had limited success introducing a U.S.-like "green card" system allowing people to become permanent residents.

Link: http://topic.media.gov.cn/topicdata/en/index.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:29:50 PM by Calach Pfeffer »