What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2460 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Is China Swarming with Foreign Spies?

The Communist Party is finally getting serious about ferretting out Western spooks. But a new counterespionage law, passed on Nov. 1, may be just a finger in the dike.

Sometime in 2011, Gen. Jin Yinan gave what he thought was a closed-door briefing at a corporate conference in China, where he spoke about the dangers of espionage. In September of that year, what appeared to be the official video of his remarks turned up briefly on the Chinese video sharing site tudou.com, before being taken down. Jin gave tantalizing details of eight recent cases in which senior Chinese officials had allegedly spied for foreign governments, several of which had never previously been made public. The highest-ranking official was Kang Rixin, a member of the elite Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leadership body, the Central Committee, and head of China National Nuclear Corporation, which oversees China's nuclear programs. The official version held that Kang was sentenced to life in prison in November 2010 for bribe-taking. But Jin said the real sentence was espionage: Kang had sold nuclear secrets to an undisclosed foreign nation, in a case that made the top leadership "extremely nervous."

Concerns about foreign espionage in China seem only to have grown. On Nov. 1 of this year, Xi signed a Counterespionage Law, replacing the 1993 National Security Law. The biggest change appears to be a greater emphasis on rooting out both foreign spies and their Chinese collaborators. When Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Secretary Xi Jinping and President Barack Obama meet in Beijing on Nov. 11 and 12, cyberspying will almost certainly be part of their discussion. But the new law suggests that it's the potential of human spies to wreak havoc that has China really worried.

It's difficult to build an open-source picture of foreign espionage operations in China: as in Kang's case, the Chinese authorities appear to hide espionage cases behind other crimes, to save themselves embarrassment. It's likely that many arrests and trials simply never come to public attention....
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2461 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
Universities in damage control after widespread cheating revealed

NSW universities are in damage control following a Fairfax Media investigation that revealed hundreds of students across the state were engaging the services of an online essay writing business.

On Wednesday, the Herald exposed an online business called MyMaster, run out of Sydney's Chinatown, that had provided more than 900 assignments to students from almost every university in NSW, turning over at least $160,000 in 2014....

Yingying Dou: The mastermind behind the University essay writing machine

At the helm of the company embroiled in a large-scale academic cheating scandal is a Chinese-born businesswoman named Yingying Dou.

The enterprising 30-year-old, who also goes by "Serena", has used her accounting degree to build a lucrative ghostwriting service, called MyMaster, aimed at Chinese international students.

As a flyer for MyMaster exemplifies, Ms Dou has ingeniously capitalised on the anxiety experienced by many overseas students.

"Are you racking your brains on your school work? Do you worry about spending $3000 retaking tuition on the failing subject? Leave your worries to MyMaster and make your study easier!," one flyer posted on a toilet door at the University of Technology, Sydney, read. ...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:15:37 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #2462 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »
Chinese state media give profs a chilling warning

BEIJING (AP) — Over two weeks, the Communist Party-run Liaoning Daily newspaper sent reporters to sit in on dozens of university lectures all over the country looking for what the paper said were professors "being scornful of China."

During visits to more than 20 schools, the regional paper wrote last week, it found exactly what it said it was looking for: Some professors compared Mao Zedong, first leader of China's communist government, to ancient emperors, a blasphemy to party ideology upholding Mao as a break from the country's feudal past. Other scholars were caught pointing out the party's failures after taking power in 1949. Some repeatedly praised "Western" ideas such as a separation of powers in government.

"Dear teachers, because your profession demands something higher of you, and because of the solemnity and particularity of the university classroom, please do not speak this way about China!" implored the article, since widely distributed on social media throughout China....

« Reply #2463 on: November 22, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
Sex Scandals and Victim-Blaming Bedevil Chinese Universities

Professors are harassing students, then facing surprisingly light punishment.

Reporting sexual harassment and bringing culprits to justice isn't easy anywhere, and Chinese universities are no exception. In the past two months, two sensational cases have highlighted the social shame and institutional barriers that female students in China face when professors abuse positions of power -- and the progress that's already being made to ensure they face real consequences.

On Nov. 20, liberal newspaper Beijing News revealed that Yu Wanli, an associate professor of international relations at the prestigious Peking University in Beijing, had sexually harassed an exchange student on numerous occasions, and that the student was pregnant with Yu's child. The scandal quickly flooded Weibo, China's huge microblogging platform. A post on the verified account of Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily condemned the professor's conduct, declaring that "chasing beautiful women should not become professors' secondary careers." But hundreds of other comments blamed the exchange student, positing that "the girl was also chasing the professor" and "while you are scolding the professor, don't forget the girl -- [sexual contact on] numerous occasions, she ended up pregnant.... I'm very suspicious." While Yu has now been expelled from the party, the exchange student is calling on the university to expel Yu from his position entirely. Yu refused to speak to the media, stating that "the university has already dealt with this matter; I have nothing to say." The university's decision has not yet been made public.

This was the second nationally publicized case of a professor harassing female students in as many months. On Oct. 10, at a large banqueting table in the Weichang Pavilion restaurant in Chongqing, a city of around 7 million people in southwest China, a recently retired art professor, Wang Xiaojian, shared a dinner with two young female students from the Sichuan Fine Arts Institute. Three days later, a blogger who had been dining in the same restaurant the same night as Wang uploaded to Weibo photos of Wang, ignoring the young students' protestations, forcibly kissing them both. The photos provoked hundreds of responses online, split between attacking and defending Wang. One article on the women's issues website Niubo commented, "I hope those bloggers trying to clear Wang Xiaojian's name remember, to refuse is not to flirt.... It just means no." But a defender of Wang wrote in the comments section of Chinese state media platform the Paper, "This kind of thing is very common, but it is not always as people think." The author added that Wang's "heart was kind" and that it was ultimately the photographer "who has caused the girls to lose their pride."...

« Reply #2464 on: November 26, 2014, 03:27:16 AM »
VOA EXCLUSIVE: Hotel in Guangzhou Serves as China’s Loose Ebola Quarantine

GUANGZHOU—A hotel in China’s southern port Guangzhou is a key part of the country’s largely unreported measures to prevent the deadly Ebola virus from reaching its shores and spreading. 

The “Hotel Canton” is like many others in Guangzhou, bustling with business, conferences as well as Chinese and international customers. But what few know is that it is also being used as a loose quarantine for recently arrived travelers from Ebola-hit countries in Africa.

Sources tell VOA that more than 90 people from Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and the Democratic Republic of Congo are currently staying at the hotel. Along with public security officers and doctors, they occupy up to five floors of the state-owned business.

All of those being monitored for the virus stay at the hotel for free and can freely travel in the city, in exchange for carrying a GPS-equipped mobile phone, and submitting to twice daily health checks.  ...

« Reply #2465 on: November 28, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
Confessions of a panda hugger

William A. Reinsch, former undersecretary of commerce for export administration under President Bill Clinton, offered a surprising mea culpa in the latest annual report by the U.S.- China Economic and Security Review Commission made public earlier this month.

Once among the more dovish U.S. officials toward China, Mr. Reinsch, the commission’s vice chairman, has described China as “dangerous.”

“It is a real disappointment for me to write these things,” Mr. Reinsch stated in an “Additional Views” section. “I have always been an optimist about the relationship, but that view is becoming increasingly untenable, as China asserts itself in ways that are inevitably going to bump up against our interests in the region and in multilateral fora.”...

/nobody else's new is good news

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2466 on: November 29, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »
He used too many big words for the average citizen to understand.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2467 on: November 30, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
What's in the news? Absolutely nuthin's in the news.

Chinese Students Make Foreign Teachers Eat “Spicy Sticks”

At first I was like, is "spicy sticks" a euphemism? But no. You have been warned.

« Reply #2468 on: November 30, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
I have already informed my students that any such prank pulled on me would result in me writing their exam in Danish...and then I gave them a quiz in Danish which I told them counted as 25% of their daily score just to make my point....no pranks of this sort has since been pulled on me. And those Sticks are not that spicy nor disgusting.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #2469 on: December 02, 2014, 03:26:40 AM »
I feel somewhat left out. None of my students this year have tried the "lets see if the the foreign monkey can eat this" prank on me. Not that it matters, I can ingest a far great variety of questionable comestibles than most and continue to function. I wish I had some really, really piquant hot sauce, hotter than my rather ordinary tabasco, to counter-challenge the kids with. Perhaps they have developed an intuitive sense of danger?

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2470 on: December 02, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »
Perhaps they have developed an intuitive sense of danger?

Mine have - they know not to 'eff around' with teacher Cruisemonkey... the consequences are dire!  bfbfbfbfbf
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2471 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »
I feel somewhat left out. None of my students this year have tried the "lets see if the the foreign monkey can eat this" prank on me. Not that it matters, I can ingest a far great variety of questionable comestibles than most and continue to function. I wish I had some really, really piquant hot sauce, hotter than my rather ordinary tabasco, to counter-challenge the kids with. Perhaps they have developed an intuitive sense of danger?

Check your local Carrefour or GweiloMart and see if they carry the Habanero sauce from Tabasco.  Less flavorful, but noticeably hotter.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #2472 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
Ugh.

Shunyi Foreign Foster Parent of 11 Disappears, Critically Ill Child at Hospital

Police are seeking the whereabouts of a fifty-something foreigner they suspect of child abuse whose eight-year-old foster daughter is recovering from surgery at a Beijing hospital.

The Legal Daily reported Thursday that the girl, called Phoebe, is one of 11 ethnic Chinese foster children the man has been raising in various apartments around Beijing, most recently at Capital Paradise in Shunyi.

The girl, who at 20 kilos is underweight for her age, is still in critical condition at the hospital after three surgeries to relieve a duodenal obstruction and kidney damage that doctors believe were caused by external blunt force. A volunteer attending to the girl claims she said she had been beaten by her foster father, who has not been seen nor heard from since November 24.

Reports say the man, referred to as Ray, lived for a time this year in a two-bedroom flat in Capital Paradise, where neighbors complained that the foster kids would occasionally be caught rifling through the trash to look for food. Area residents say the man was a frequent customer at the Pinnacle Plaza Starbucks where he would sip coffee while his children played in and around the store.

According to hospital officials, Phoebe is fluent in English and speaks only simple Chinese. She is extremely withdrawn and in her current condition is mostly too scared to talk to anyone.

The bulk of the Legal Daily report was based on an interview with a foreign volunteer using the pseudonym Xu Qiang, who claims to have helped the man take care of his 11 foster kids for several years.

This was the girl’s third trip to the hospital, the first two times being brought in by her foster father and also being checked out by him before doctors were satisfied that she had fully recovered. The third time she was brought in, on November 24, she was brought by a volunteer. Since then the man, nor his ten other foster children, has not been heard from.

Xu said Ray has been in China for over 30 years, speaks Chinese fluently, and as far as he knows, has not held a regular job. He has been raising orphans from infancy since at least 2004, with most of the children abandoned by their natural parents because of birth defects such as cleft palate and mental retardation.

Xu said Ray and an "old Chinese lady" occasionally found the children abandoned at train stations and other locations, while others had been brought to him. Ray posts the stories of the orphans onto a website at www.rayschildren.org and accepts donations to pay for the children's corrective surgeries, and the children typically remained with him afterward.

Xu and an additional witness contacted by the Beijinger claims Ray was harsh to the children in public, often pushing them, twisting their ears or yelling at them.

Xu said he volunteered at Ray’s house three times per week and would bring food each time, but it never seemed to be enough to feed the children, who seemed to subsist on potato chips and other junk food. The kids were trained to not answer the door unless it was a foreign face on the other side.

None of the children were formally educated and typically lived together in one room of a two-bedroom apartment in squalid conditions. The children were home-schooled and all have some level of reading and writing skills, although lagging behind kids of their age, Xu said.

On at least one occasion the children were spotted begging, in fluent English, in front of a foreign supermarket wearing tattered and dirty clothes.

Xu said that Ray would move every several months, and after each month would cease to contact former volunteers. Reporters interviewed Capital Paradise security guards who say he has since moved out, and Xu's latest attempts to contact the man via email and phone have failed.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:55:08 PM by El Macho »

« Reply #2473 on: December 06, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
How very sad EL Macho. I hope that the Chinese Authorities can catch up with him VERY soon, rescue the children and throw him in jail. I really hate to think what these children are being used for, or will be used for as they grow older. bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2474 on: December 07, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
What kind of diseased mind could even come up with a plan to abuse children like this? aaaaaaaaaa
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com