shouldn't that be bi-mitual?
Whatever, we're cool with you, whatever your sandwich-spreadual orientation

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1831 on: March 29, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Kotex assures woman that moldy tampons aren't unusual

​Ladies, you regularly check your unused tampons for mold, right? Well, you're going to from this day forward, because we're about to tell you how a woman found spots of black mold growing on her new, unused Kotex cotton tampons. In a follow-up letter after she complained, the company explained it was probably bread mold, based on previous tests of the multiple times this had happened before. We'll give you a moment to stop screaming uncontrollably. OK, there we go. After the pictures of the offending feminine product she posted to her blog went viral, the company contacted her again offering to do a more thorough investigation of the mold and, hey, coupons for more tampons!

http://now.msn.com/living/0328-black-mold-tampon.aspx

"And when you are finished with one, you can harvest the yeast and use it to make bread." - Another helpful consumer tip from your friends at Kotex.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1832 on: April 12, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
Changsha Edition

CCTV reveals poultry polluted by industrial rosin

A wholesale poultry market in Changsha, capital of central Hunan Province was shut down after vendors used carcinogenic rosin to remove bird feathers.

But chicken and ducks from the market are still being sold in local supermarkets and restaurants, CCTV, the state-run broadcaster, reported yesterday.

Yangjiashan Poultry Wholesale Market sold nearly 40,000 chicken and ducks a day and had a market share of 65 percent in Changsha and surrounding areas.

The vendors were seen on the TV footage of immersing slaughtered birds in a pot containing industrial rosin to remove feathers. A vendor could denude 200 ducks a day, four times faster than using a machine, the report said.

The market management admitted that the industrial rosin they used is toxic, lead-laden, harmful to kidney and liver, and can cause cancer.

But the vendors were reluctant to use edible rosin because its price is twice more expensive as compared with industrial rosin.

NATO

« Reply #1833 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/apr/24/girl-falls-through-pavement-video

The thought has crossed my mind more than once or twice when walking on the pavement here. In chengdu in 2010 there was a story about a stretch of sidewalk sinking a few inches near the busiest shopping area.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:43:25 PM by NATO »

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1834 on: April 25, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Egad! aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao

That looked a lot more solid that some places I walk over regularly. aqaqaqaqaq

Somebody buy that taxi driver a few free rounds.  He deserves them. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1835 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
British guy attempts to rape a Chinese girl, a crowd stands by watching until a hair salon owner comes out and beats the crap out of the British guy. Chinese internet users can't decide whether to hate on foreigners for trying to rape their countrywoman or their fellow Chinese for standing around watching.

This is in Chinese, but there's a video of the incident. http://wei.sohu.com/20120510/n342889687.shtml?pvid=tc_news&a=&b=%E8%80%81%E5%A4%96%E5%9C%A8%E4%BA%AC%E7%8C%A5%E4%BA%B5%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E5%A5%B3%E5%AD%A9%E9%81%AD%E5%B8%82%E6%B0%91%E5%9B%B4%E6%AE%B4

and

http://news.sohu.com/20120510/n342870754.shtml

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1836 on: May 11, 2012, 03:41:07 AM »
I've reading about this. It's been all over Sina weibo.

Three big stories in a row with foreigners. Young guy in Nanjing shares some food and conversation with an old beggar lady, Brazilian in Dongguan beaten while trying to thwart a robbery and now this guy.

Keep an eye on this one folks. If it's all confirmed (even if it isn't) that this guy was trying to molest the girl, then watch your backs going out at night. The heat, alcohol and a little anti-foreigner sentiment could lead to some trouble and not just in Beijing. This is all over the web here and the responses have been really, really ugly.

Might be a good weekend to catch up on some reading.

« Reply #1837 on: May 11, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking Stil. This one has me a bit worried for some of our members with Chinese wives and girlfriends. For sure, if I were a foreign guy I wouldn't be going out to bars or discos and trying to pick up Chinese women this weekend.

xwarrior

« Reply #1838 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:45 AM »
TIC

There is an outside chance that in some of the incidents all is not what it seems.

Pickpockets usually work in gangs. Usually 2 or 3 members follow the pickpocket - pickpocket immediately passes wallet etc back to one of them so that he/she cannot be found in possession should someone become suspicious of their action. 2 then passes the object to 3 who leaves the scene.
2 and 3 will sometimes deal physically to the victim of the theft if there is a chance that the pickpocket is going to be restrained from leaving the scene. They will claim that they came to the defence of an innocent person who has been unfairly accused of a crime.

Their may be a similar modus operandi operating in the "rape" case. Beijing Cream carries a story about the possibilty that the girl took something out of the guys pocket:

http://beijingcream.com/2012/05/foreigner-assault-in-beijing-update-what-is-that-thing-the-girl-appears-to-grab-out-of-the-mans-pocket/#more-2577

It is possible, then, that these are not situations where outraged citizens have attacked foreigners. It is also possible that they are.

The internet has the ability to inflame passions in this country I agree with Stil that it is a time to 'take care out there.'
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1839 on: May 11, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
Some of the commentary on that video indicates that the girl already had something in her hand earlier, so it wasn't something she grabbed out of his pocket.

This is another reason to be VERY careful walking into the middle of a situation.  In Dongguan, the foreigner needed rescuing.  In Beijing, the foreigner needed more than he got (assuming that this is exactly was what it appears to be).

No matter what was going on, I'm pretty impressed with the much smaller Chinese guy who kept after him even after taking what looked like one hell of a punch.  Also, once the foreigner was down, several people kept intervening when someone was trying to kick him in the head.

I've told my wife that if she wants to do it in the middle of a busy street anytime soon, she's got to be on top. afafafafaf

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1840 on: May 14, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »
Apropos to our discussion about traditional culture/language, a primary school in Guangzhou has forbidden the students to speak Cantonese, saying speakng dialect is what "low quality" people do (the school denies using this wording, but who knows).

http://post.news.tom.com/s/gallery_56000A8F5645.html?source=SK_NS (this article is in Chinese)

I remember seing signs in schools back in Yunnan saying "please speak Putonghua" but I don't think it was ever a rule that the students couldn't speak dialect amongst themselves. Hell, half the teachers couldn't even speak proper Putonghua and I doubt Guangzhou is any different, so good luck with this rule ...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:34:40 PM by The Local Dialect »

« Reply #1841 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
They have/had rules like that in Canada (Quebec).  Were students were not allowed to speak English in the school.  Even brothers and sisters couldn't speak to each other in English.

I doubt rules like that really work but it depends on how zealous the school leader is. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #1842 on: May 15, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
They have/had rules like that in Canada (Quebec).  Were students were not allowed to speak English in the school.  Even brothers and sisters couldn't speak to each other in English.

I doubt rules like that really work but it depends on how zealous the school leader is. 

Some years back, I was at a foundation course school, getting students ready to study abroad. We made some effort to create an English environment with posters, movies, etc. but we never went as far as asking students to speak English to each other, except in class. Perhaps we should have.

At one point, the boss lady (who spoke excellent Chinese) freaked out about too much Chinese in the environment, and took several steps to change it. Some she backed off on within a few days, such as telling Chinese teachers (a majority of staff) to speak only English in the staff room and that she would fire them for using Chinese with students, even outside class.

Others she held to. She still threatened to fire Chinese teachers for using Chinese in class. The university that we were attached to would put up notices in our building in Chinese. She told them to send those to her admin assistant for translation; anything posted in Chinese would be torn down on sight.

Finding the right balance here is clearly a problem. How do you encourage L2 use when L1 is so much easier? Can you do that without being obnoxious?
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1843 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »

Some years back, I was at a foundation course school, getting students ready to study abroad. We made some effort to create an English environment with posters, movies, etc. but we never went as far as asking students to speak English to each other, except in class. Perhaps we should have.

At one point, the boss lady (who spoke excellent Chinese) freaked out about too much Chinese in the environment, and took several steps to change it. Some she backed off on within a few days, such as telling Chinese teachers (a majority of staff) to speak only English in the staff room and that she would fire them for using Chinese with students, even outside class.

Others she held to. She still threatened to fire Chinese teachers for using Chinese in class. The university that we were attached to would put up notices in our building in Chinese. She told them to send those to her admin assistant for translation; anything posted in Chinese would be torn down on sight.

Finding the right balance here is clearly a problem. How do you encourage L2 use when L1 is so much easier? Can you do that without being obnoxious?

When I worked for Web they had what sounds like a really cool idea called 'English Friday' where noone in the school was allowed to use anything but English for one day a week. My school abandoned it because all of the teachers and tutors were rubbish at English lol

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1844 on: May 27, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
Cannibal serial killer arrested in Yunnan

Yesterday AFP reported that ‘Police have detained a man suspected of murdering more than a dozen boys and young men, chopping up their bodies and selling the flesh to unsuspecting consumers’.

There had previously been a trickle of reports about teenagers that had disappeared in Yunnan. On May 8, the Global Times English edition ran a story titled ‘Yunnan town fears serial kidnapper‘. On May 24, the Chongqing Economic Times published a report titled ‘In Jinning County, Yunnan Province, 17 people have disappeared – there may be a serial killer’, naming Zhang Yongming as the suspect.

The earlier Global Times story speculated that the missing young men were possibly victims of a ‘serial kidnapper’ who may forced them to work in illegal brick kilns near Kunming. The brick kilns’ theory was actually thought up by the parents of one of the missing youths, Han Yao. His parents never suspected a serial killer; such evils barely exist in state media, while kidnappings of young men are not uncommon in the provinces. Most end up in coal mines or illegal brick kilns, but more educated kidnap victims sometimes even end up tricked into running white-collar scams like pyramid schemes.

Therefore the kilns theory was quite feasible: the Global Times report mentions one man name Lei Yusheng from Yunnan who says he escaped such a place after being grabbed off the street by ‘two strong men… armed with a sword [who] pulled him into a van. He was then taken to brick kiln where he was forced to work with 30 other men from 2 am to 12 noon every day.’

This sort of trafficking is now so ubiquitous the police barely bother to investigate and it lands on the parents to conduct their own searches. The Global Times report also mentioned another case:

One of the most disturbing cases involves Xie Junhai, a 16-year-old student who left home to collect his report card on January 27 and never returned.

‘I have searched more than 100 brick kilns. Some wouldn’t let me enter. I had to plead with the local villagers to take me in. I have not found any trace of my son,’ said Xie’s father.

The search was pointless because Xie’s son had been the victims of a prolific serial killer, a 56-year-old farmer named Zhang Yongming who lived in a shack near the cold storage unit where victim Han Yao was last glimpsed. Zhang Yongming should have been the police’s first suspect: In 1978, he was sentenced to life in prison for murder, after dismembering a victim. He was released in 1997 and lived within a two kilometer radius of all the victims. The local villagers certainly suspected something was up with Zhang: the Daily Telegraph reported on May 24 that ‘last December, [Zhang Yongming] was found trying to strangle Zhang Jianyuan, 17, with a belt outside his house’. Police arrived at the house of the convicted murderer but Zhang ‘laughed off the episode, saying that he was just fooling with the boy.’ The cops also seemed to have a good sense of humour, as they ‘simply told [villagers] he was mentally ill’.

As sadly undeveloped as China’s mental-health awareness is, this failure to detain Zhang for attempted murder probably resulted in the hideous deaths of up to seventeen boys.

Grisly details that have so far emerged include that police also found human eyeballs preserved inside wine bottles, and human flesh hanging up to dry, (according to a now deleted article on Guangxi News. The AFP report says that ‘green plastic bags containing what appeared to be white bones protruding from the top were seen hanging from his home’. Zhang is now thought to have fed human flesh to his three dogs and sold portions on the market, telling people it was ‘ostrich meat,’ according to the Hong Kong Standard.

The official reaction has been predictable: censorship. For example, Weibo searches for ‘Jinning’, ‘Yunnan disappeared’ and ‘Yunnan murder’ (晋宁, 云南失踪 and 云南谋杀) are blocked. Jinning county police chief Da Qiming has been sacked, alongside the head of the Jincheng township police station, Zhao Huiyun. A special Public Security Bureau task force has been sent from Beijing to supervise the case: this is the Crime Investigation Bureau (CIB), the Chinese equivalent of the FBI. While the CIB employs expert staff, they are normally brought in to deal with cases that threaten public stability, and they serve ministerial ends. The victims’ parents will probably be largely ignored, the case declared exceptional and individual, and the public afforded little further protection.

http://www.danwei.com/cannibal-serial-killer-arrested-in-yunnan/