What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1800 on: December 15, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
Or perhaps the police chief was not so amused at his daughters part time job.

« Reply #1801 on: December 15, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
Or perhaps the police chief was not so amused at his daughters part time job.

Or perhaps that people found out about her; I mean it is probably a well paid job given the amount of effort and time which would go into it. After all, won't she need to look after Dad in his old age? ahahahahah

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #1802 on: December 15, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
If you thought China was weird, consider Oklahoma.

A woman has been arrested there for trying to manufacturer methamphetamine inside the Walmart store where she was stealing the raw materials.
http://www.kvue.com/news/135448083.html
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1803 on: December 15, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm imagining store security confronting her as she leaves.  "Unless WalMart wants to admit to selling meth, how will you charge me with shoplifting?"
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #1804 on: December 20, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
Kim Jong-not il

Kim Jong-little unwell

Kim Jong-Dead

Kim Jong-stiff

Kim Jong-Little smelly

when we get

Kim Jong-clone of my father
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1805 on: December 20, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
Having worked briefly in a Wal-Mart, I think they should  sell crystal meth.
I always envisioned little packets of "Sam's Choice Crystal Crank" bearing a picture of Mr. Sam with his eyes spinning around like pinwheels.
It would have made those overnight shifts go a LOT better. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Monkey King

« Reply #1806 on: December 31, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
Looks like Bird Flu may be back:

December 30, 2011 (CNN)

A 39-year-old man in a southern Chinese hospital is suffering from what appears to be a contagious strain of avian flu, state media reported Friday.

Chen was in critical condition Friday at the hospital, the health department said.

Shenzhen borders Hong Kong, where more than 17,000 chickens were ordered culled on the same day that Chen was hospitalized. That decision came after a chicken carcass tested positive for avian flu.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/30/world/asia/china-bird-flu/?hpt=hp_t2

« Reply #1807 on: January 14, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
BANGKOK (AP) — The U.S. ambassador to Thailand warned Friday there is a "real and very credible" threat of a terrorist attack against American citizens in Bangkok.

The message said that "foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future." It urged Americans to "keep a low profile" in public and to exercise caution in areas where Western tourists gather
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

« Reply #1808 on: January 15, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »
BANGKOK (AP) — The U.S. ambassador to Thailand warned Friday there is a "real and very credible" threat of a terrorist attack against American citizens in Bangkok.
The message said that "foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future." It urged Americans to "keep a low profile" in public and to exercise caution in areas where Western tourists gather

"It urged Americans to "keep a low profile" in public"    ahahahahah
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #1809 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
If you can find access to the Jan. 16 edition of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, by all means do so. His mid-show segment on China is to die for.
Followed, by the way, by one of the funniest Colbert Reports I've ever seen. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1810 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »

A-Train

« Reply #1811 on: January 18, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »
...Followed, by the way, by one of the funniest Colbert Reports I've ever seen. bfbfbfbfbf

This is some of the most informative and hilarious string of episodes yet.  We need to have an election year each and every year.  Oh wait, WE DO!
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #1812 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
Colbert is entering the Republican Presidential primary in his home state of South Carolina. It was kinda sparked by a recent poll that showed him beating the pathetic actual candidate Jon Huntsman, who has since dropped out of the race.

Stephen was moaning about not being able to get on the ballot, by virtue of South Carolina "splitting hairs over little things like being two-and-a-half months late to file." He also mentioned that, due to the same deadline, former candidate Herman Cain couldn't get OFF the ballot.

So Stephen is asking South Carolinians, INCLUDING DEMOCRATS ETC. because any registered voter can vote in a primary in South Carolina, to vote for Herman Cain...which he'll take as a vote for Colbert.

It's brilliant. It's infuriatingly friggin' brilliant. :respect:

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #1813 on: January 22, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »

"It urged Americans to "keep a low profile" in public"    ahahahahah

I was in Iran during their revolution, bailed out in Jan '79 two days ahead of the Shah. This was a month or two before Khomeni returned and three or four before the hostage taking. The first sentences of Farsi (Persian) I learned were "Don't shoot" and "I am not American". I liked Iran, but in China the first whole sentence I learned was "ni hen mei" (you are beautiful) which is a vastly more pleasant sort of thing to learn. I'm not going back to Iran or Afghanistan anytime soon, which I consider regrettable.

I still kick myself for not getting some of the T-shirts that were around. They were overpriced & poorly printed, so they seemed a bad buy. In hindsight, a major missed opportunity.

One had a quote from the US ambassador "Keep a low profile" written across a bullet-pocked wall with a pair of eyes peeping over. Another was "Stay and die for BHI", since Bell Helicopter International was a major expat employer. Or "I ran from Iran" with a yellow stripe down the back ...
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

A-Train

« Reply #1814 on: January 23, 2012, 01:35:29 AM »
Colbert is entering the Republican Presidential primary in his home state of South Carolina.

Stephen was moaning about not being able to get on the ballot, by virtue of South Carolina "splitting hairs over little things like being two-and-a-half months late to file." He also mentioned that, due to the same deadline, former candidate Herman Cain couldn't get OFF the ballot.

So Stephen is asking South Carolinians, INCLUDING DEMOCRATS ETC. because any registered voter can vote in a primary in South Carolina, to vote for Herman Cain...which he'll take as a vote for Colbert.

It's brilliant. It's infuriatingly friggin' brilliant.
Great stuff.  Only garnered 1.1% of the vote but the light that he's shining on the ridiculous campaign financing system is priceless.  I sometimes wish he'd be a little more serious about it to get the message through to more people, but I suppose, that would upset the whole apple cart.

Pearl S. Buck