What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1590 on: January 11, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
Book burning...Yeah, who does that remind me of? Daft, silly morons...I am sorry, but burning books is just wrong, wrong, wrong...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1591 on: January 11, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
China's not the only place that sometimes burns pirated products to show off a crackdown on piracy.  Personally, I think some Chinese city should build one of those Waste-To-Energy incinerator/generators.  Then they could accept all things pirated and power a few million homes.  bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1592 on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
Why not send them to the poorer and remote places that can't get the real thing? Oops, bad idea, that would make sense   bibibibibi
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1593 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
Why not send them to the poorer and remote places that can't get the real thing? Oops, bad idea, that would make sense   bibibibibi

It would make sense, except that some enterprising individuals would buy up all those name brand pirated products from the recipients for a few fen on the kuai and then resell them online.
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Ruth

« Reply #1595 on: January 15, 2011, 12:50:31 AM »
From the January edition of the "Here Dongguan" magazine:

"At an auction for lucky license plate numbers held December 21, the plate (Guangdong character)S SS888 sold for RMB 550,000. The previous record in Dongguan was RMB 410,000 spent for the plate S SS999. The auction lasted less than five minutes."

And another one from the same magazine:
"Dongguan Police captured a gang of 16 counterfeiters printing fake 2005 series RMB 100 notes in Liaobu Town. The printers had already printed and sold RMB 56 million, for which they made a profit of 1.8 million. Police found another RMB 110 million waiting to be distributed."

Now, if memory serves me correctly, this is the name of the town where our own beloved Escaped Lunatic lives. Not sure where the clones live, but perhaps 16 of them are now in custody.  Just speculation... Not trying to start gossip or rumors  kkkkkkkkkk
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #1596 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
EL, make sure to use a live teller, and only pull out fifties.  gggggggggg llllllllll
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1597 on: January 17, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Sold 56 million worth and only made 1.8 million in profit? bibibibibi

Even one of my defective clones wouldn't be a party to such a poorly run scheme. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1598 on: January 18, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »
56 wasn't their cost.  Gotta give your buyers a margin in exchange for their risk.

Still, a little meager.  Maybe this was a promotional print run.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1599 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't sell a product that was of such low quality that I couldn't make at least 10% profits on my initial sales.  Far better to take more time, do it right, and make more money while selling less.  The chances of detection go down as the quality increases and the amount distributed is smaller.

Not that I've ever done anything like this. afafafafaf

Then again, my grandfather made some very interesting copies of Japanese and German documents (including currency) for the OSS during WWII, so I can say that my family has been involved in this sort of thing.  The quality was so good (same paper, same ink, incredibly good engraving on the plates) that no one (not even he and his fellow . . . copiers) could tell the difference between the originals and the copies.  At least some of those products got distributed in China. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #1600 on: January 23, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
This news does not affect me - I am not back in NZ and have no spare money - but it is a sign of things to come.

Not sure at this stage if the option will help FE's looking to transfer money but it could be worth looking into ...

Kiwi depositors are about to get their first Chinese currency-denominated retail accounts, signalling the beginning of a multi-year rise in the importance of the "redback" for ordinary New Zealanders.

The retail account will be launched early in February by HSBC, the first bank in New Zealand able to handle importing and exporting transactions in the renminbi, or "redback" as the Chinese currency is coming to be known internationally in a tag echoing the "greenback" nickname for the American dollar.

Details of the account are yet to be released – it is unlikely interest will be anything to get excited about and there may be some restrictions that are not found in accounts denominated in other currencies.

But it will add to the stock of currencies in which ordinary Kiwi depositors can hold money in banks.

Currently, internationally minded Kiwis at HSBC can have accounts denominated in US dollars, Australian dollars, euros, Hong Kong dollars, Japanese yen, British pounds, Singapore dollars, Swiss francs and Canadian dollars.

But China wants the redback to become one of the world's "reserve" currencies alongside the US dollar and the euro, and accounts such as HSBC's will start popping up at banks throughout New Zealand and around the world.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Monkey King

« Reply #1601 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
Put your Spring Festival plans on hold:

Chinese National TV reporting impending UFO/ET disclosure by Obama government

Or don't - apparently this was picked up by Xinhua from some conspiracy blog...and then reported nationally?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1602 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
We are certain that non of your Earth leaders has such information. xxxxxxxxxx
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1603 on: January 27, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
 My dog recently chewed a corner on a Michael Chabon book and got a "No!Bad dog" for it...

Holy Whack Spartanburg County Woman Burns “Evil” Dog
Tuesday, January 25, 2011   |  Comments: 0
An elderly US woman has been arrested and charged with felony animal cruelty after hanging a dog from a tree and burning it with an electrical cord.

The Associated Press reports that 65yr old Miriam Smith told law enforcement officers that she killed the female pitbull because it was a “devil dog” adding that she was scared it would harm children in the neighbourhood.

The dog had apparently chewed on Smith’s Bible.

Smith remains in custody and faces between six months to five years behind bars if convicted.

The dog was found under a pile of grass with the cord still around its neck by police officers.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord