What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1575 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/05/3107018.htm?section=justin

Taiwan to curb pollution by potty training pigs

Taiwan's environmental authorities say they are planning to promote toilet training for pigs to help curb water and waste pollution.

The Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) made the pledge following the success of a pig farm in southern Taiwan where the breeder started to train his 10,000 pigs in late 2009.

To keep his animals from defecating in nearby rivers, the breeder has established special toilets smeared with faeces and urine to attract the pigs, the EPA said in a statement.

This reduced the amount of wastewater by up to 80 per cent.

As well as making the farm cleaner and less smelly, it also helped reduce illness among the pigs and boosted their fertility by 20 per cent, the EPA added.

Taiwan has about six million pigs, most of them raised on farms in the centre and the south of the island.

Waste from livestock farms is among the main complaints about water pollution received by the EPA.

Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

old34

« Reply #1576 on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

To keep his animals from defecating in nearby rivers, the breeder has established special toilets smeared with faeces and urine to attract the pigs, the EPA said in a statement.

It doesn't work on the mainland with people. The toilets here are smeared with feces and urine, yet still people piss and shit on the streets and in the rivers.  ahahahahah
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #1577 on: January 05, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
I remember once a co-worker (who ran a hobby farm) telling me that pigs are actually clean animals. He swore that, given a choice, pigs will identify the low point in a field, and choose that as the place for deffecation and urination, so the shit would run downhill away from them. And they prefer to be fed uphill and away from the mess. It's only when you confine large numbers in a limited space that pigs get dirty. Or so I was told. Compared to cats, dogs and cigarrette smokers, pigs are very clean.

« Reply #1578 on: January 06, 2011, 03:21:20 AM »
It is true.  agagagagag agagagagag Pig breeders in the west can actually carpet the area where the sow's are.  They have a trough at one end of the sty area where the pigs go, leaving the rest of the area clean. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

A-Train

« Reply #1579 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:39 AM »
I concur.  I grew up around farms and they obey the golden rule..."don't shit where you eat".  They're dirty because they need a wallow since they don't have sweat glands.  And they are about the smartest farm animal as well.  Horses, of course, being the stupidest mass of hair on four legs.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1580 on: January 06, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
I remember learning in grade school that pigs are netoriously clean. If my students were half as hygenic, it would be a massive improvement.

The human anus is half an inch in diametre. There are no crosswinds in the washrooms (talk about a misnomer). The basin is about 10" x 20" or 1,000 times larger.

AND THEY STILL MISS!  bqbqbqbqbq

No wonder the archery Chinese bronze medalist was a huge surprise     ahahahahah
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #1581 on: January 07, 2011, 01:20:27 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk

Now I know why the johns at my university stink to high heaven even though the windows are open 24/7.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1582 on: January 09, 2011, 04:19:47 AM »
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1583 on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »
Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

• attend a sleepover
• have a playdate
• be in a school play
• complain about not being in a school play
• watch TV or play computer games
• choose their own extracurricular activities
• get any grade less than an A
• not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama
• play any instrument other than the piano or violin
• not play the piano or violin.
I guess I'll never make a good Chinese mother (thank God  asasasasas)

The fact is that Chinese parents can do things that would seem unimaginable—even legally actionable—to Westerners. Chinese mothers can say to their daughters, "Hey fatty—lose some weight." By contrast, Western parents have to tiptoe around the issue, talking in terms of "health" and never ever mentioning the f-word, and their kids still end up in therapy for eating disorders and negative self-image. (I also once heard a Western father toast his adult daughter by calling her "beautiful and incredibly competent." She later told me that made her feel like garbage.)

What a pile of  bqbqbqbqbq

If a Chinese child gets a B — which would never happen — there would first be a screaming, hair-tearing explosion. The devastated Chinese mother would then get dozens, maybe hundreds of practice tests and work through them with her child for as long as it takes to get the grade up to an A.

REALLY, come to my class you racist bitch are mistaken
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:44:29 AM by Day Dreamer »

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1584 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »
Maybe the article is talking about Chinese mothers living in the US,Day Dreamer
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1585 on: January 09, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
That article is full of tired stereotypes...

« Reply #1586 on: January 09, 2011, 02:03:20 PM »
Maybe the article is talking about Chinese mothers living in the US,Day Dreamer

I know it was and its still a festering pile of poot.
I'm not mad at you piglet  kkkkkkkkkk I know you didn't write nor endorsed it. But this is just another sanctamonious ignorant cunt person

« Reply #1587 on: January 09, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »
Wow!! Don't you feel sorry for poor Jed. aoaoaoaoao I wonder if she tries to make him perfect any of his techniques? uuuuuuuuuu

xwarrior

« Reply #1588 on: January 11, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
Just when I thought China was into the environment (recycling, pollution, atmosphere, green things) they do this

anuary 10, 2011 13:29 PM

China Publicly Burns 5.2 Million Pirated Books, Compact Discs

BEIJING, Jan 10 (Bernama) -- China's anti-piracy authorities organised public burnings of 5.2 million pirated books and compact discs Monday morning in several localities across China, Xinhua news agency reported.

They burned everything ? !!!  mmmmmmmmmm  There is a black cloud coming your way very soon.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1589 on: January 11, 2011, 02:31:31 AM »
Just when I thought China was into the environment (recycling, pollution, atmosphere, green things) they do this

anuary 10, 2011 13:29 PM

China Publicly Burns 5.2 Million Pirated Books, Compact Discs

BEIJING, Jan 10 (Bernama) -- China's anti-piracy authorities organised public burnings of 5.2 million pirated books and compact discs Monday morning in several localities across China, Xinhua news agency reported.

They burned everything ? !!!  mmmmmmmmmm  There is a black cloud coming your way very soon.