What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1470 on: September 30, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
If I'm ever killed on a Segway, I think I'll delegate the search for assistance.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1471 on: September 30, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
If I'm ever killed on a Segway, I think I'll delegate the search for assistance.

That's the problem with the world today.  People are always looking to pass the buck to someone else on flimsy excuses like "I can't do it because I'm dead."

Lister: I know you're dead, Rimmer, don't whinge on about it!

Rimmer: Sorry to be a bore.

Lister: I mean, you're everything you were when you were alive. Same personality. Same everything.

Rimmer: Apart from the minuscule detail that I'm a stiffie.

Lister: Look, Rimmer, death isn't the handicap it used to be in the olden days. It doesn't screw your career up like it used to.

Rimmer: That's what they say, Lister. But if you had two people coming for a job, and one of them was dead, which one would you pick? .

Lister: It depends which was better qualified.

Rimmer: Bull pats! When was the last time you saw a dead newsreader?

Lister: Channel 27 have a hologram reading the news.

Rimmer: Oh, groovy funky Channel 27! Big smegging deal. You livvies hate us deadies.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1472 on: September 30, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »
Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint. (The owner does not respond.) Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...

(owner hits the cage) Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing!
Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call! (Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.) Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.
(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of parrots.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Owner: I got a slug.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?

Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1473 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:06 AM »
50 years ago today, Fred and Wilma and Barney and (hubba  akakakakak  hubba) Betty

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1474 on: October 01, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
I'm still looking for a copy of that episode where, when the guys are out of town, Betty and Wilma decide to explore their secret passion for each other.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #1475 on: October 03, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Check out the Larry Flint archives.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1476 on: October 03, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
Larry Flint and Flintstones should never be uttered in the same breath

One is a big fat loud-mouth egotistical ignoramous, the other is Fred

« Reply #1477 on: October 03, 2010, 03:30:45 AM »

Ruth

« Reply #1479 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
Many officials are still seeking an end to the National Day Golden Week, but they acknowledge that for now, mandatory holidays may be the only way to give workers time off, given that most companies ignore a law that guarantees workers 15 days of paid vacation a year — to be taken at a time of their choosing.
I didn't realize this was a law.  Just this past weekend I had a conversation comparing American holidays with Chinese ones. I see the 'everyone at the same time' vs 'two weeks at your request and timing' as the main difference.  Wonder when/if Chinese companies will begin following the law.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

xwarrior

« Reply #1480 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
This is from the advertisement for the college job that I accepted last year - it turned out to be all located in one small room:

Accommodation:  A free private apartment with the below-mentioned modern conveniences: bedroom, living room, bathroom, furniture, bedding, TV set, refrigerator,  washing machine,  DVD player.

We had a bit of a problem fitting the apartment into the room.

What I would really like to see is an advertisement for Foreign Teachers accommodation, similar to this  one offering apartments to Chinese university students:
http://www.chinahush.com/2010/10/06/advertisements-in-university-freshmen-service-handbook/#more-7377 

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1481 on: October 08, 2010, 02:04:10 AM »
Mario Vargas Llosa...do you know him? I only knew he was an author and from Peru...well, according to the news, he just won the Noble Prize for Literature...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

xwarrior

« Reply #1482 on: October 08, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Mosquito-borne disease outbreaks sicken 38 in S China

GUANGZHOU - At least 38 people in Dongguan, an industrial city in south China's Guangdong Province, have been infected by the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus, the local health department has confirmed.

Meanwhile, another 166 people were suspected of being infected and were still waiting for test results, the Guangdong Provincial Health Department announced in a statement late Wednesday.

Most of the infected suffered fevers, joint pains and rashes, it said.

"All the patients are in stable condition. There are no severe cases or deaths," it said.

Local health authorities have set up a task force of medical experts to oversee the treatment of the disease, it added.

The word "chikungunya" is Swahili for "that which bends up" referring to the stooped posture of patients afflicted by severe joint pains caused by the virus.

Chikungunya fever, like dengue fever, is a mosquito-borne disease.

The chikungunya virus is carried mostly by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. Most infections are reported in tropical Africa and southeast Asia where the average winter temperature is over 18 degrees Celsius.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #1483 on: October 09, 2010, 05:32:17 AM »

Road accidents kill 1,010 people over China's National Day week

BEIJING, October 8 (Xinhua) -- Road accidents killed 1,010 people in China from October 1 to 7, the National Day break, down by 25.5 percent from the same period last year, the Ministry of Public Security (MPS) announced Friday.

The number of people injured in road accidents during the week was 3,061, a drop of 45.2 percent year on year, said a statement released by the ministry.

A total of 2,653 road accidents were reported during the holiday, down by 41.2 percent, incurring an estimated 11.99 million yuan in direct economic losses, down 37.6 percent.

The statement said traffic was generally stable during, with no major or lasting traffic jams reported.

The MPS traffic management bureau dispatched seven work groups to the Beijing-T Expressway over the break to inspect the traffic situation.

Prior to the holiday, a huge traffic jam that stretched for at least 120 kilometers paralyzed the expressway.

Local traffic police in municipalities and provinces, such as Beijing, Henan, Guangdong, Hainan, Sichuan and Yunnan, all strengthened management in traffic arteries and major tourist routes.

I know there a lot of people in China - but I still find numbers like this scary. It is eqivalent to the entire population of a small town back home in New Zealand.

144   Pleasant point   1100   
145   Te kauwhata   1100   
146   Waikouaiti   1100
147   Maketu           1000   
148   Raetihi           1000   

- Bette Midler

« Reply #1484 on: October 09, 2010, 05:39:03 AM »
Mosquito-borne disease outbreaks sicken 38 in S China

As I've mentioned once or trice, since I was at  medical college, I had to research a lot of useless crap relevent information. World wide, the mosquito is the #1 most dangerous animal. Collectively, it kills more humans than all othe animals combined at approx 1M per year.

I made the kids guess which animal (and to confess, I didn't have a clue either)