What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1410 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:26 AM »
Ian Teh, Photographer

Reviewed in The NYTimes.

There is something almost timeless about Ian Teh’s photographs of China. And yet, they are shrouded in the darkness of the country’s burgeoning energy industry. They explore the emergence of an industrial machine.

They are all about change.

The China Mr. Teh knows has two sides. The first is occupied by the facades of towering cities like Beijing and Shanghai. The other is darker, sustained by cheap labor and energy. It is this side that makes development — and the degradation of culture and the environment — possible.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1411 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
Worlds largest traffic jam

Thousands of drivers on the Beijing-T Expressway just outside the Chinese capital have been snared by roadworks ever since 14 August – and the disruption is expected to last a further month. The tailbacks now stretch for a mind-boggling 100km and 400 police officers have been assigned to the area to quell rising tensions, with impromptu vendors said to be charging exorbitant prices for tea and noodles. Meanwhile, drivers resigned to their fate are reported to be passing the time with games of chess or cards. Some have requested concerts be performed on roadside verges.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/aug/23/worlds-worst-traffic-jam

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1412 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »
Oooh... Think I should buy a motorcycle and cruise up there to sell some overpriced noodles and drinks.  bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1413 on: August 25, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »
8 Chinese tourists killed when a tour bus was taken hostage in the Philippines.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38810942/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

« Reply #1414 on: August 25, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-11068063

has been all over the news today.

'woman caught on film putting cat in a wheelie bin

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1415 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:40 AM »
It's ridiculous how people treat bins these days

« Reply #1416 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I think you've missed the point of the article Stil.

Britian may come across as a largely uncaring and heartless country, but when we see something as horrific as a cat being put into a bin for over 15 hours, we get seriously angry. That woman has no idea the amount of stress that she could have caused that family. In our country, green bins denote recycling. Had they not heard that animals strained meows, they could have been fined a moderate amount of money for mixing plastics and cat, as well as having their collection privileges revoked. How would you like it is some old lady was the reason that you had to travel to poor parts of town to use their bottle bins? please think next time before you make light of Britain's environmental policy.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1417 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
I apologise. In Canada we use blue bins for recycling.

« Reply #1418 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
To clarify Stil's point, in Canada the household blue bins are open-topped, and comparatively shallow. Yes, we have the chest-high monster bins too, but those are only at shopping malls. The household bins are so shallow that even an English cat could climb out.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1419 on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »
I think you've missed the point of the article Stil.

Britian may come across as a largely uncaring and heartless country, but when we see something as horrific as a cat being put into a bin for over 15 hours, we get seriously angry. That woman has no idea the amount of stress that she could have caused that family. In our country, green bins denote recycling. Had they not heard that animals strained meows, they could have been fined a moderate amount of money for mixing plastics and cat, as well as having their collection privileges revoked. How would you like it is some old lady was the reason that you had to travel to poor parts of town to use their bottle bins? please think next time before you make light of Britain's environmental policy.

:D:D

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1420 on: August 25, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »

Worlds largest traffic jam

Thousands of drivers on the Beijing-T Expressway just outside the Chinese capital have been snared by roadworks ever since 14 August – and the disruption is expected to last a further month. The tailbacks now stretch for a mind-boggling 100km and 400 police officers have been assigned to the area to quell rising tensions, with impromptu vendors said to be charging exorbitant prices for tea and noodles. Meanwhile, drivers resigned to their fate are reported to be passing the time with games of chess or cards. Some have requested concerts be performed on roadside verges.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/aug/23/worlds-worst-traffic-jam

China's Mega Traffic Jam Tied To Illegal Coal Trade: Report

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/08/24/129404540/chinese-mega-traffic-jam-linked-to-illegal-coal-trade

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1421 on: August 26, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »

I'm sure it was a simple mixup.  She really meant to put the cat in the bin for biodegradable materials.

Of course, if the UK would just institute a proper pet recycling program, all that fur, meat, and other useful materials could be properly utilized instead of being composted. uuuuuuuuuu

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1422 on: August 26, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
I've lost count of the amount of letters sent to my local council inquiring about the correct method of cat disposal. I have been wanting to get rid of my cat for some time now, as he is rude and loud. I have even suggest them offering incentives such as a new cat after they get beyond their useful age.

Anyway, news just in on the cat recycling mixup...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3110434/Its-just-a-cat-I-put-Lola-in-bin-for-joke-whats-all-the-fuss-says-Mary.html

« Reply #1423 on: August 26, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
Judging by the photos, the little monster didn't suffer too much in that bin. Looks to me like she made out like a bandit. To think of all the treats that unthinking stranger have showered on that "unfortunate" cat and her owners... you could clothe and house and feed the poor on all that. (If they don't mind sleeping on a pink pillow, wearing a cat collar and eating salmon-flavoured catfood, that is.) I know, it's not agaisnt the law to pamper a cat, but still, don't you think such people ought to be shot?

« Reply #1424 on: August 26, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »
MY issue isn't with the fact that the cat is spoilt, rather that someone would spoil such an ugly cat.