What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1545 on: December 04, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
Xwarrior, how bout this- you give us back our pav, we'll give you back Russell Crowe? Good enough deal?

:wtf:
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

A-Train

« Reply #1546 on: December 04, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
A victory indeed.  There's nothing more galling than another country, especially a bigger one, taking credit for your own's accomplishments.

Yes, and I think Austria, (the sneaky bastards), were the best at this.  They convinced the world that Hitler was a German and Beethoven was an Austrian.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

xwarrior

« Reply #1547 on: December 04, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
Xwarrior, how bout this- you give us back our pav, we'll give you back Russell Crowe? Good enough deal?

Sorreeee ...... even if you threw in Phar Lap, Crowded House and Split Enz they would not swing the deal.

Mind you we could go halves on Keisha Castle-Hughes  uuuuuuuuuu

and if you loaned me Nicole Kidman  akakakakak for a while (and didn't tell anyone back home) then we could have a deal    agagagagag 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #1548 on: December 04, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
A victory indeed.  There's nothing more galling than another country, especially a bigger one, taking credit for your own's accomplishments.

Yes, and I think Austria, (the sneaky bastards), were the best at this.

For a minute there you had me going - I thought you were talking about Australia!   bibibibibi
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1549 on: December 05, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
I have friends living here and I can't get a hold of them right now.

6 killed after explosion at internet cafe in southern China

http://is.gd/idK7w

« Reply #1550 on: December 05, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
Sure hope your friends weren't there Stil. 

Terrible when these things happen.   bibibibibi
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #1551 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:03 AM »
Harsh!  Hope it's nothing, people-you-care-about-wise.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

BrandeX

« Reply #1552 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:07 AM »
More details on the blast.
http://www.salon.com/wires/allwires/2010/12/04/D9JTFHN00_as_china_cafe_blast/index.html

Illegal business + negligence. Imagine that.

« Reply #1553 on: December 08, 2010, 04:39:43 AM »
Not sure if anyone already linked to this, but definitely interesting:  http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/12/02/what-is-a-college-degree-worth-in-china

A-Train

« Reply #1554 on: December 11, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
More reasons to love the American conservatives...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44958.html

Rep. John Shimkus is standing by a controversial comment that global warming isn't something to worry about because God said he wouldn't destroy the Earth after Noah's flood.

The Illinois Republican running for the powerful perch atop the House Energy and Commerce Committee told POLITICO on Wednesday that his understanding of the Bible reaffirms his belief that government shouldn't be in the business of trying to address rising greenhouse gas emissions.

"I do believe in the Bible as the final word of God," Shimkus said. "And I do believe that God said the Earth would not be destroyed by a flood.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1555 on: December 11, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »
Any comments? Do you guys notice any change in prices?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/world/asia/10iht-letter.html?_r=1&ref=china
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1556 on: December 13, 2010, 01:32:52 AM »
China’s Army of Graduates Struggles for Good Jobs

BEIJING — Liu Yang, a coal miner’s daughter, arrived in the capital this past summer with a freshly printed diploma from Datong University, $140 in her wallet and an air of invincibility.

Liao Tingting and Liu Yang in the room they rented outside Beijing. Ms. Liu eventually returned to her home province.

Her first taste of reality came later the same day, as she lugged her bags through a ramshackle neighborhood, not far from the Olympic Village, where tens of thousands of other young strivers cram four to a room.

Unable to find a bed and unimpressed by the rabbit warren of slapdash buildings, Ms. Liu scowled as the smell of trash wafted up around her. “Beijing isn’t like this in the movies,” she said.

And so on...
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

piglet

• Piglet's House
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

xwarrior

« Reply #1558 on: December 16, 2010, 05:44:09 AM »
Don't look at me .... I didn't force you to read this report!   awawawawaw

http://chinadailyshow.com/english-teacher%E2%80%99s-dead-poets-stunt-goes-horribly-wrong/
- Bette Midler

jpd01

« Reply #1559 on: December 16, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »
Wow, that guy is truly nuts  bibibibibi
And what's the deal with the police firing tear gas into the class room? Did they honestly have no idea that it is flammable??
Nice case of a crazed English teacher and stupid police.
The family asked for an interesting donation instead of flowers:
In lieu of flowers, their parents have asked mourners to donate a steady supply of traditional, status quo-promoting examples of Chinese cinema.  llllllllll llllllllll
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.