What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Vegemite

Re: What's in the News
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2007, 05:11:40 AM »
Teen paints Queen's portrait in Vegemite
AAP | Thursday, 17 May 2007

BRISBANE: A Queensland teenager has painted a portrait of the Queen in Vegemite.

Sixteen-year-old Stef Chard, from the south-east Queensland town of Gympie, said she did not deliberately set out to capture the likeness of the monarch in yeast extract.

"When you run out of paint, then you really turn to the next best thing

Newbs

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
But it won only second prize at the Gympie Art Show.

Load of bloody philistines up that way, aren't they?

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »
Is that in response to that Jesus in Chocolate thing?
It is too early to say.

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2007, 01:46:48 PM »
Is that in response to that Jesus in Chocolate thing?

I think it was the Queen in Vegemite thing  ahahahahah
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »
Deaf-mutes sold to China pickpocket ring

May 24, 2007 - 5:29PM

Chinese police have detained the vice-principal of a school for deaf-mutes and other special needs children for selling 10 students to a ring that trained them to become pickpockets, the Guizhou Metropolitan Daily reported.

Police rescued the victims, the youngest of whom was 12, in Jiangxi and Henan provinces this month, the online edition of the newspaper said.

They went missing from their school in Liupanshui city, Guizhou, last month, the newspaper said, adding that the ring trained and required each person to steal and turn in 500 yuan ($A79) a day.

Zhu Xiangyu, 52, vice-principal of the school and vice-president of Liupanshui's Deaf-Mute Association, and four other suspects were taken into police custody.

Hundreds of deaf-mute students had gone missing since 2005, the newspaper said.

Bloody schoolteachers!! They'll do anything for a quid!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
Words fail me.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
Has reality TV gone too far?

Dutch kidney television show a hoax
Saturday Jun 2 07:48 AEST

A Dutch reality television show in which a supposedly dying woman had to pick one of three contestants to whom she would donate a kidney has been revealed as an elaborate hoax.

The show, which the broadcaster had said aimed to focus attention on a shortage of donor organs in the Netherlands, was condemned by Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende ahead of transmission and sparked controversy worldwide.

Identified only as Lisa, the 37-year-old woman who had been said to have been suffering from a brain tumour was to base her selection on the person's history and conversations with the candidates' families and friends.

The contestants were also part of the deception, although all three are genuine kidney patients.

"Their life is bitter reality," the presenter said after revealing the deception, just at the moment at which Lisa was to have made her choice.

Dutch Education Minister Ronald Plasterk hailed the show as a "fantastic stunt" and an intelligent way to draw attention to the shortage of donor organs.

The show is expected to set off heated debate between those who believe reality television has gone too far and others who believe the publicity was generated for a good cause.

Program makers apologised to viewers and said they hoped "outrage" over the show would turn into anger over the lack of organs for transplant.

Viewers in the Netherlands were asked to give advice via text messages in the 80-minute show, and appeals ran throughout for people to donate their organs.

Early in the show Lisa was shown selecting three people from 25 candidate profiles who matched her blood group.

"It feels like playing God," said a fraught-looking Lisa. "Think of it as playing Santa Claus," replied the presenter.

The show had set off a storm of criticism, both at home and abroad, though some kidney patients said ahead of the show that they approved of it because it drew attention to their plight.

Balkanende had said the show was detrimental to the whole business of organ donation and it would do the reputation of the Netherlands no good abroad, Dutch news agency ANP said.

Dutch embassies received complaints from people expressing their shock over the show.

Public broadcaster BNN, which came up with the idea, said it wanted to draw attention to the growing shortage of organ donors in the Netherlands.

"Money has never been part of this thing and no money will be made from this," said BNN chairman Laurans Drillich.

Callers to a local radio station had suggested the whole thing could be a hoax by BNN to build up its ratings.

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »
I am still trying to get over the vegemite/queen thing. A toast to the queen? I mean, who writes this stuff.

Reality TV left reality some time ago. Reality TV is to entertainment what the KT event was to the dinosaurs. I am remain unconvinced there is life before death.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
Mr. Nobody. I am so very glad you have started posting again.  bfbfbfbfbf I have truly missed your wit and candour.  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Welcome back to the saloon.   jjjjjjjjjj
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
G8 Africa pledge is a smokescreen: Bono
Friday Jun 8 23:01 AEST

Rock star Bono has denounced world leaders for producing a "deliberately misleading" pledge to fight AIDS and other killer diseases.

"I am exasperated," Bono told Reuters in a telephone interview at the Baltic resort where leaders from the world's rich nations were rounding off their three-day summit.

"I think it is deliberately the language of obfuscation. It is deliberately misleading," he added.

G8 leaders announced a $60 billion pledge to fight AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis with great fanfare but many activists were disappointed that they failed to set a timetable for the spending plans and that it contained little new money.

"They have taken language hostage. We wanted numbers but this is burobabble," Bono said, criticising the lack of a timeline and the fact that the pledge did not apply specifically to Africa.

"It is not real in any language. We are looking for accountable language and numbers. I might be a rock star but I can count."

The U2 singer and campaigner, who has been in Heiligendamm holding private meetings with G8 leaders, identified Italy and Canada as the main obstacles to a more ambitious deal.

He also expressed disappointment that German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the summit host, had not managed to convince her counterparts to make concrete commitments.

"We wanted her to be an honest broker - she has a history of that - but she hasn't managed to rein them in."

"I think Merkel showed passion and commitment but she hasn't turned that into real outcomes."

G8 leaders also restated pledges made to double aid spending made two years ago at a summit in Gleneagles in Scotland.

"They say they will keep their pledges on Africa but it is remarkable. In a 25 page document we can't see any evidence of how they are going to get to those. It is a maze."

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »
"I'm a rock star, but I can count"

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah love this.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »
I've never seen this term "burobabble" before. I know, I'm just not worldly enough.  But I like it and what should be it's logical synonym "bureau-speak." The former lends itself to easy abbreviation to yell out "BB! BB! when listening to politicians.

NOw, it's probably due a re-spelling to "bureau-babble." At least Bono's a rock star who can count all the way to and from the bank but I imagine the Reuter's reporter probably ONLY a groupie & p-t journalist who never did well on the J-School spelling test.

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »
burobabble ???

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2007, 10:18:29 PM »
Hope this embarrasses my government into stepping up.  But , knowing Harper, he probably talked some sh!t about why spend money on africans when there are Canadians with goalie helmets, and now has to back up his stupid words.

When I think of how many vicious diseases we could eradicate from history with a determined, sustained effort, this foot-dragging really pisses me off.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
When I think of how many vicious diseases we could eradicate from history with a determined, sustained effort, this foot-dragging really pisses me off.
More votes in killing people, Con!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/