Other Sources of Job Leads?

• 15 replies
Other Sources of Job Leads?
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »

Fellow Earthlings:

This question may get it (and me!) wacked for apostasy, but I will risk it because, as much
as I dig this hangout and read with glee the posts with the most, I despair that more job leads are not to be found here.

To be sure, what's to be found here has far more credibility. (I'll make minor corrections to one AFTER I'm employed elsewhere!) And I have the Prime Directive down: head-hunters are, on the whole, best avoided.  But are there any other sites that folks here use for leads, pointers, hints, or just plain name-dropping?

Why dare I ask? Simply: it takes so damn long to contact uni's one by one... and I'm a bit on the slow side. (Yeah: another damn perfectionist English major who never learned how to cut corners and rule-of-thumb it through life.)
A Blanket 谢谢!
Refdesk

"We have met the enema and ...."

Re: Other Sources of Job Leads?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:08 AM »
I've used the Chinatefl dot com site before.  I didn't use the services of the agency, which has scads of threads complaining about it, but used the map thingy with the ads separated by province.  Click through to a school that interests you. Some of the contact info and indeed all of the info may be out of date, but you might be able to find a uni there.  

Refdesk, what are your qualifications?  Maybe someone at Raoul's might have a job or know someone who is looking for a teacher.  This is a good type of thread to throw out your degrees/certs and experience, just in case.  Couldn't hurt.

Don't think you'll get whacked but I just noticed this is in the school info thread, so you might be moved to another room.  It might get physical with some of the bouncers.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
A couple other places that ain't too bad but you must sign up:

http://www.echinacities.com/

http://jobsitechina.com/Index_en.aspx

They are a step above the greasy spoon, not much better but better than nothing
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
It also simply depends on what sort of job you want and how strong an applicant you are going to appear to the school. Many of the good jobs will not use the alternate sources you are talking about but will do their recruiting directly because they simply get enough good applicants approach them directly. What I did when I was first looking for a job was to simply choose the city... find the details I could for universities in the city and emailed them ... I used the same information for all of them ... copied and pasted the text of the email, attached the CV, and waited for the responses.  On paper I am a relatively strong applicant for what they are looking for, but I had 5 possible jobs within a week or so ... and accepted the best option.  The work was simply in finding the email addresses, not that much harder than trying to find someone else to do the looking for you, and not necessarily have your best interests in mind
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
Our own job links page is a wee bit out of date I think:

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=86.0

What you are doing already seems about right, that's just how it is.

As others have said, your qualifications, experience and preferences are going to have a big influence on what jobs you are going for, and that will in turn influence which websites we might recommend.

There are generally three types of jobsites IMO: 

The catch all places like DAVES etc. where you have to sift through the dregs in order to find the one or two good ones. 

The local websites like Shanghai Expat etc which may have some gems but only want people on the ground, often want you to sort out your own visa.

'Serious' job boards for linguists, international school teachers, uni' subject lecturers and the like - better jobs but higher demands in terms of quals + experience.

To be honest, like teacheraus said, a lot of the good schools/jobs never advertise because people hunt them down or they have people recommended to them.  Being in the right place at the right time or bumping into the right people (i.e networking) also gets people jobs they might not otherwise have heard of, or even on paper be qualified for.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:51:22 PM by MK »

xwarrior

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
I The work was simply in finding the email addresses,

This site has a list of places qualified to hire foreign experts ... and most of them have an email address:

http://www.anesl.com/schools/info.asp?province=&page=1 

Note: this is Page 1/69

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Borkya

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
I found my job from Raoul's but in a non-traditional way. I just kinda paid attention to what people said, who seemed happy with their situation, and looked specifically at what they said over several different posts. (Stalkerish? I like to think it is dilligence. agagagagag) Then I contacted them to find out the school specifically if they didn't say, then researched schools and contacted them directly if I was interested.

Thanks to ETR, ended up at my place where I've been pretty satisfied for the past 5 years.

So Raoul's IS a good place to find a job, though it isn't exactly the normal 'job board' route.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
I found my job from Raoul's but in a non-traditional way. I just kinda paid attention to what people said, who seemed happy with their situation, and looked specifically at what they said over several different posts. (Stalkerish? I like to think it is dilligence. agagagagag) Then I contacted them to find out the school specifically if they didn't say, then researched schools and contacted them directly if I was interested.

Thanks to ETR, ended up at my place where I've been pretty satisfied for the past 5 years.

So Raoul's IS a good place to find a job, though it isn't exactly the normal 'job board' route.

that's a great point Borkya. Cyber version of networking with due diligence.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:19 AM »
I have found some decent leads, in the past, on sites like eChinacities and The Beijinger, as well as other city-specific English language expat sites -- Shanghai Expat, GoChengdoo, GoKunming. They are hit and miss and there's a lot of crap there too, but the leads are at least "live" in that the places that advertise there are definitely looking for people and are not just recruiters looking to add you to a mailing list.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »
Unfortunately it is not always that simple I have stuck over two years in my current hell place in the hope that I will eventually find something better.

Enduring dead leads and mountains of not replied to applications and enquiries, now it seems I have to do the unthinkable and roll the dice with recruiters :(. Seems the fates are against my, to be honest recently I have been thinking of bailing and just chalking up China as an unpleasant time that is best forgotten.
Still standing

opiate

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 06:34:09 AM »
Friends.

I've gotten more jobs through friends than I can remember.....and I don't have many friends. Started working part time for a high school from a recommendation by a friend a month or so ago...that rolled into a private class with 7 students and three full time job offers. Though on the down side, I did have to endure a few dinners with high school vice principals and a couple of guys who own private schools. Baijiu......how I hate thee.

Relationships are key in China.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »

Relationships are key in China.

Yep

Wow! To show my gratitude: more quesitons!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »

Fēi ​cháng ​gǎn ​xiè​ / 非常感谢 / Thanks very much to all who posted in response to my last question: an impressive, indeed, humbling amount of helpful feedback. Busy with my current gig, I wasn't able to shout "Thanks!" sooner. Every opinion and suggestion will be considered (including the one I'm least adept at: make a lot of friends. Sigh.)

But I do now have 2 suggested locations as to where I might look next, one from a fellow Yank (whose kin was there some time ago) and another from one of my many lovely upper-classperson type students, viz., Wenzhou (Zhejiang Prov.) and Enshi (Hubei Province). These names were dropped as the result of my saying that I'd like to try a smaller [sic] place either along the coast or deep in the outback. Wikipedia gave me these universities (and none other - a good sign if you've atavistic hermit genes):

Hubei University for Nationalities
http://Http://www.hbmy.edu.cn

Wenzhou University
http://en.wzu.edu.cn/

Wenzhou Medical University
http://sis.wzmc.edu.cn/

Any and all that any and all might be able to tell me about these cities or schools will be read and re-read until the pixels fade.
谢谢你们,
Ref
"We have met the enema and ...."

old34

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »
Not being judgmental, (OK I am a little bit, though I like your style)... But from your style of writing and questioning-Wenzhou would not be a good fit for you. It's not you, it's them. Hubei might be more your style.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.