Anyone teach the holocaust?

• 21 replies

Borkya

Anyone teach the holocaust?
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »
So next week I am teaching a movie discussion class about 'Life is Beautiful.' I can tell the students (uni--english minors) don't know much about the holocaust in general, so anyone got any good resources?

I want to teach an interactive class, not a lecture class so i need activities to get them involved. I tried googling "fun activities for holocaust" but that didn't turn up much. I want to get them talking in the class, so any sort of interactive idea would be great.

Thanks!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Anyone teach the holocaust?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
I tried googling "fun activities for holocaust" but that didn't turn up much.

aoaoaoaoao ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Most students will know about Hitler and think he is a 'bad man'.  However, the image of Jews is mixed in China given the gov't's views on Israel.

Why don't you have your students look at the history of "Chinese Jews"?  Many of them came here to escape the Russian Revolution and the holocaust and so you have some links with China, and some historical reports that your students can relate to.  You never know - you may even have some students who are descendants of the holocaust survivors, and can talk about personal family history.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:27:57 PM by Lotus Eater »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »
Of course, that's an almost totally different subject. bibibibibi

I had a few classes that talked about the Holocaust. Comparing/contrasting to the Nanjing Massacre and other such events in China is at least one way to approach it.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
What Raoul said plus the Japanese treatment of the Manchu 70 years ago. Its not the same, but it could make a good springboard. Its still in people's mind in Dong Bei
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
it's a pretty vast subject

i would probably approach it trying to get them to imagine what it would be like being jewish at that time and one minute you are a normal citizen then suddenly you have no rights, and then over time it just turns into a government drive to kil you all

that would take a lot of planning....

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:34:30 PM »
I left the book at my parents' house so I don't know all the details, but the highest military honor given to a foreigner in China was to a Jewish refugee in Shanghai who fought against the Japanese. There were a few others who joined the Chinese army in WWII.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

AMonk

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »
You could also try showing Schindler's List as a more realistic/factual portrayal or Night & Fog for a compare-and-contrast mini-Unit.  That/those along with Diary of Anne Frank should encapsulate the Holocaust for your students.....if anything can "summarize" such a horror.
Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »
What are you planning regarding the holocaust lesson?  Is it because you like the movie? If it is movie related, are you using the holocaust as a background to a story of love and courage etc etc?

Is it part of a history of the Jews?  If so, then it probably needs to be part of a much broader history including pogroms, diaspora etc.  Is it about inhumanity?  Then you could add Hotel Rwanda, Rice People etc to show this happens in many places.

Student seem to read The Diary of Anne Frank in middle school - many of them know it, or at least know about it.

Borkya

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:49:11 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, I think relating it to chinese events will help them understand it better. (Like the time we were discussing cities and I explained that washington dc was like shanghai in that it belonged to no province.)

Since it's almost the end of the semester I'll only have 2 hours to teach them the holocuast. I know, it seems kinda worthless but I think even a little is better then nothing.

Thanks for the links and suggestions.  bjbjbjbjbj

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:02:39 AM »
The Pianist is a better film about the holocaust than La Vita e Bella or Schindlers List imo

synthette58

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:02 AM »

Student seem to read The Diary of Anne Frank in middle school - many of them know it, or at least know about it.

To be perfectly honest, I think this has been somewhat discredited in latter years.
I'd be very cautious about "teaching" anything about the holocaust.........especially since most of what we know is regurgitated hearsay - a point of example being, the Nazi Shrunken Heads...........shown to be obtained from Africa sometime during the early 19th C.

I, myself, don't buy into the bilge that is reported by the press/tv re "the holocaust". When all is said and done, although being Jewish, yes, I'm a Revisionist.

Remember, history is written by the victors. Well, FGS, they had to justify the Nuremberg trials somehow - same as 'they' are going to have to answer for Guantanamo Bay etc. one day.

Maybe one could consider the Chinese Holocaust........
or, oh yeah, The Rape of Nanking.........December 13th 1937 (which, my father, at the tender age of 17, in the British Navy, was witness to, first hand!).

How many of our kiddies know about that?
Ask them........and it's a goddamned shame that they DON'T know about it!!

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 06:06:33 AM »
last entry in anne frank's diary

'my father just got me a drumkit for christmas' (sorry)

A-Train

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
I, myself, don't buy into the bilge that is reported by the press/tv re "the holocaust". When all is said and done, although being Jewish, yes, I'm a Revisionist.

How about the "bilge" reported by first-hand accounts?  So, there's a conspiracy to convince everyone that six million Jews were killed in order to justify the Nuremburg Trials?  I think a whole lot more Germans got away with crimes than were ever tried.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.