Forgotten Film Finds: We Speak Your Name!

• 106 replies

moon over parma

Forgotten Film Finds: We Speak Your Name!
« on: June 16, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
This is the thread for remembering films you saw that nobody else seems to remember (at least enough for it to be a topic of normal discussion).

My first pic is MAD MAGAZINE PRESENTS UP THE ACADEMY! (1980)

Ingredients:
Humor so quirky and odd that an embarassed MAD magazine publically disowned the film shortly after its release.
the late Tom Poston channeling Paul Lynde.
Pre KARATE KID Ralph Macchio as a mafioso's kid.
Barbara Bach looking hot and smoking pot
a killer soundtrack featuring The Modern Lovers, Blondie and Ian Hunter.
a pre-rehab Robert Downey, Jr. (his father directed the film)
It's so bad it's actually good.

Re: Forgotten Film Finds: We Speak Your Name!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
LE PETIT CON (The Little Shmuck)  French movie about a pseudo-intellectual teenager, such a hateful portrayal it has to be an autobiography.  i screamed with laughter throughout it... and have never found it since.

THE ALL NEW ADVENTURES OF MIGHTY MOUSE  Animated Saturday morning fair by Ralph Bakshi, noted for the Fritz the Cat movies.  A wolf in sheep's clothing: all kinds of adult, DARK humour stitched into it.  You can't find it anywhere. 
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
Mighty Mouse was brilliant!

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:00:29 PM »
MM...first seen in the 30s/40s....later (briefly) revived somewhere around the late 70s.  A selections DVD is available from www.moviesunlimited.com  and, of course, Amazon.com also has a choice of MM "bests" (but usually only from private sellers).

"Ghenghis Khan"...about GK...starred Omar Sharif and Telly Savalas.  And the Chinese Emperor was portrayed with girt long nails!!  He could have them, since he never did anything for himself!!!  A sign of wealth and power, back in the day!......and I can't find a copy for love nor money  asasasasas asasasasas
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 11:44:25 PM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

babala

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:36:10 PM »
Lost Angels with Donald Sutherland and Adam Horivitz from the Beastie Boys
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »
The comedic wit, wisdom and genius of those past Masters of the punch-line: Red Skelton and Danny Kaye.  Brilliant!!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 02:04:25 AM »
When I had glandular fever as a teenager I had to stay in bed for 6 weeks - boring as hell and of course it happened during the holidays, so no time off school!  The ABC ran a whole series of the Deanna Durbin movies and I ended up liking them.

Haven't seen or heard of them since.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 02:05:42 AM »
Probably just as well! Would remind you of glandular fever!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

phets72

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 03:40:32 AM »
Probably just as well! Would remind you of glandular fever!
ahahahahah oh my god I can't believe I'm laughing at the KFCed one! bibibibibi

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 03:44:15 AM »
I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch Caroll Burnett.  I can still remember some of the characters...Tim Conway flashing his panda and Harvey Korman in drag and Caroll as Nora Desmond..."I'm ready for my close-up Max."

I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 04:15:24 AM »
A great French film called... well I actually don't know the French title, but the English translation is "The Dinner Game"
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

moon over parma

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 05:12:49 AM »
A great French film called... well I actually don't know the French title, but the English translation is "The Dinner Game"
Le D

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 05:32:59 AM »
Or the (non)cult classic "They Call Me Trinity"?

moon over parma

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:40:57 AM »
Pic # 2:

Otto Preminger's LSD-tastic musical-comedy SKIDOO

Mob hitman Jackie Gleason is in hiding with his wife Carol Channing
until his bos, GOD (Groucho Marx) calls on him to whack imprisoned stool pidgeon Mickey Rooney. So, while papa hitman is away, his hot daughter is out hanging with pot-smoking peacenicks like John Phillip Law. Her mom joins in on the fun while mob torpedo Frankie Avalon has to go after Papa hitman since Papa Hitman can't bring himself to kill the stoolie when he has a moment of peace-lovin' clarity from licking an acid-laced envelope from his hound dog cellmate Austin Pendleton. GOD kidnaps Papa hitman's daughter, the mom and the hippies set out on boats to raid GOD's yacht in the name of peace and love, and using LSD in the prison lunch Papa Hitman and his cellmate escape to save Papa Hitman's daughter. The film ends with GOD smoking pot on a boat done up in some Krishna getup.

I couldn't make this up if I tried. Music by Harry Nilsson. Eye-socket burning nightmare courtesy of a nearly nude Carol Channing singing and trying to seduce Frankie Avalon.  Paramount Pictures released it. It has not appeared on American home video in any legal way, shape or form. My copy actually comes from Australian TV. So bad it's good. You will find yourself beating your head against the wall to get the theme out of your head.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:39:53 AM by moon over parma »

moon over parma

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 05:45:06 AM »
I really enjoy MY NAME IS NOBODY. Are you sure you're not getting THEY CALL ME TRINITY (Terence Hill & Bud Spencer) and TRINITY IS STILL MY NAME mixed up with MY NAME IS NOBODY (Terence Hill & Henry Fonda) and its sequel NOBODY'S THE GREATEST/A GENIUS, TWO PARTNERS & A DUPE/THE GENIUS?