Chungking Mansions (Hong Kong)

• 18 replies
Chungking Mansions (Hong Kong)
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Go to murphy's bar on the main road at tsimshatsui. It's marked on the free tourist maps.

drink real beer, eat real food.

Pay a fortune, but it's worth it.

Well, I would. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip.  Will do.  I'm Irish too. chchchchch .  That main road on Tsim Sha Tsui is Nathan Road. I'm staying at the infamous/famous Chongqing Chungking mansions on Nathan Road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Mansions

Great place.  A great anthropological study.  People from all parts of the world congregate here.  Maddeningly complicated at first to locate your hotel/hostel. 5 blocks in one big building to start with.  In order to find the hotel/hostel you booked for, you have to find the right block first.  Then, you have a choice of 2 lifts/elevators, one goes to even number floors and one to odd number floors.  I think there's 16 floors altogether.  On the outside, the building looks  like shit  groggy.  But, inside, the hostels I have stayed in are pretty nice.  I mean they're clean and functional but you're probably not going to get any extra fun perks there like ping pong tables.  There are lots of hostels or hotels there between all the blocks. 

You can get some nice ethnic international (Middle Eastern/Indian/Pakistani et cetera) food on the ground/first floor and the second floor.  Indeed, anything else is catered for.  Mobile phones, SIM cards, all sorts of technology.  I'm on my 5th visit to Hong Kong now and this is my fifth time to stay in the Chongqing Chungking mansions.  I guess it's not for everyone.  It looks shoddy on the outside but inside it's run with military efficiency.  Just avoid the touts outside and inside who follow you about asking you if you need a room.  Ignore them as you would touts anywhere else.

And, well, Nathan Road, you'll find touts of a different nature too.  Again just ignore.  Great location at the tip of Kowloon peninsula.  Short walk away and you have a splendid view across Victoria Harbour of the magnificent Hong Kong skyline.
"I've been permanently banned from this place"

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: Chungking Mansions (Hong Kong)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:57:51 PM »
I have a story about that bar.

I was in HK for an international convention. After the convention a few friends decided we would have some beers there.

I went there, but they weren't there.

I walked up to the bar. Said, in my best Australian accent, "did an englishman and american walk into the bar?"

The guy paused while pouring a beer. He deliberated in thought, then said, "Is this some kind of a joke?"

Cracked us both up. Had to be there I guess.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »
How tall are you guys?  Whenever this Pfeffernaut is in Hong Kong he chooses to stay at Mirador just down the street from Chungking Mansions, but will take at least one meal a day in the Mansions on the first floor (and after a year in China, one meal of Indian food is usually all one needs for the entire day).

But jeez, the touts, the guys who hang out in and around the ground floor, I'm 180cm, and walking through those guys is like stepping into the forest.  And everyone watches everyone.  It always feels a little like swimming briefly with sharks.

I really like the area though.  I always take at least a day and just walk around the streets, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok, and so on.  One time it was on the tail end of a hurricane somewhere, and that was cool with the wind and the rain; another time there was a shoot out between police and some guys who tried to kidnap another guy but drove past the police station on their way home.  But I like the streets anyway, mostly for how they look.  There's something about the way everything is put together down there.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:51 AM »
I thought I was 174cm.  But I dated this Chinese woman who told me before I met her that she was 172cm and when I met her, she looked as tall as me.  So, maybe, I'm being optimistic about my height. (&)

The hotel I'm staying at at the Chungking mansions.  It's okay.  I was there before.  The boss lady put me in what she told me was the best room in her hostel/hotel.  It was on the corner of the Chungking building with a pretty great view of Nathan Road below.  The remote didn't work for the TV though.  I managed to turn it on using the buttons on the top of the TV but there was no BBC World Service. I asked to be moved to another room because the door was broken and couldn't properly lock itself when I went out.  The next room I was put in didn't have BBC World Service available on the TV either. Last time, I stayed in this hotel (this May), they put me in a room that had BBC World Service as one of the available TV stations.  Apparently, whether I can get BBC World Service depends on which room I'm in.  Some rooms, one can get the signal, some, one can't.  kkkkkkkkkk.  It's good to watch BBC World Service.  I can't get it in Beijing in my rented apartment in Dongzhimen.  I can get CCTV9 and maybe some English language movies on the other 50 plus channels I have, but no BBC World Service.

It's kinda a mixed blessing not having BBC World Service because it can be addictive viewing for someone like me who likes to try at least to keep fully abreast of world affairs.  Not having it, forces me out of my room to explore Hong Kong.

(&) I also wear height boosting shoes but that's not because of vanity.  They're comfortable shoes recommended by my foot doctor after I had a ankle operation in Hong Kong (Matilda Hospital on Hong Kong island) 2 years ago to fix a sore ankle problem.
"I've been permanently banned from this place"

Rin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »
Really enjoyed HK and staying at Chungking Mansions. I stayed one night in Mirador, then moved down the road to Chungking. ( Apple Hostel). Okay place. Great people! Can't wait to go back to HK!

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
I love HK. We went to Murphy's Irish Pub too. If I knew how to post pics, I'd enter mine here
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Hey guys, I'm planning on going to Hong Kong in the very near future and I noticed many many hostels in Chungking Mansions. A lot of the reviews I hear about this place make it sound kind of sketchy, and I'm nervous as I'll be traveling alone. Instead, I've been looking at some hostels on Hong Kong island near Admiralty. Am I being overly paranoid? I want stay in a location that I feel relatively safe in.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
I've stayed in Chungking Mansions and Mirador Mansions as a solo female traveler and I never felt unsafe really. The area is definitely a bit dodgy, but Chungking is a huge complex with loads of people coming in and out of it daily and I sort of felt like unless you went actively seeking out the dodgier bits it was pretty easy to avoid all of that. I'd say both are safe, just a bit unsavory, you know? There's definitely a difference!

Re: A rather low-cost alternative to the "Mansions" (Hong Kong)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »

Even in my early decrepitude, I'll still do the flop-on-a-friend's-floor thing (and I'll sleep at the airport to keep from shelling out for 6 hrs or less of privacy). Out of habit if not perpetual penuary, I still look for cheap digs when I travel on my own dime. One up from the flop house hostels that (young?) folks here rapsodize about is airbnb.com.

There are other web sites for the purpose, including some homestay sights that REALLY put you into people's homes (which airbnb can do too). Airbnb, however, has a well oiled website, seems to cover much of the globe, has user reviewers, AND (Ta da!) an endorsement from His High Holiness Himself, the mayor of New York! (It proved a godsend to numerous NYers after the hurricane).

I'm not a shill. I hold no stock. I have just used it for the first time to book 3 days in a tiny flat - all to myself - in HK later this month. Yes, it may prove the room from Hell, but nothing indicates - yet - that this will be the case. And did I mention cheap? 66rmb / night? Yes, Airbnb charges a variable fee for each use, but even when that's factored in, it seems like a good alternative to either the musty 3-stars or the iffy hostels / mansions.

IF I learn otherwise from experience, I'll be sure to report it! NOTE TOO that experience with this service on the mainland may be an entirely different animal. As they say, your milage may vary.
Zai jian!
Ref
"We have met the enema and ...."

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
When we went to a consulate run to Hong Kong, we stayed at Chungking Mansions.  The wife and I were not impressed.  I don't remember the name of the hostel we stayed at, but the room was cramped for two people.  The AC was stuck on cold and the beds didn't have blankets.  The elevators were cramped and 9 times out of 10 was full of freight.

The bathroom had just enough room to sit on the toilet and while the shower had plenty of hot water, there was barely enough room to turn around. Outside we got tired of being accosted over and over again by all the various Pakistanis, Indians and whatever nationalities if we wanted a phone card, the smelly food, designer (knockoff) handbags or "Rolex" watches. How many times can you tell the same people NO for them to get the idea you aren't interested.

The only good thing about the place was free internet and no VPN is required in Hong Kong

xwarrior

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
Good to see things have not changed at Chungking Mansions.

agagagagag
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:56 AM »
Shucks Casey, why dincha ask here first? Here's a list of inexpensive hostels and guesthouses where I've stayed in HK, or where my buddy stayed and he writes the HK book for Rough Guide.

- Alisan Guesthouse, Flat A, 5/F Hoito Court, Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay (entrance in 23 Canon Street) 2838 0762 http://home.hkstar.com/~alisangh, rooms $350. Between MTR and bay.
BUILDING DEMOLISHED spring 2013 - Bin Man / Clean Hotel in Causeway Bay, run by YoYo who accepts reservations on the phone, visited New Years' 2012. 1/F Central Bldg, 531 Jaffe Rd 2833-2063

These all in Chungking Mansions, 36-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui:
- Hawaii Guesthouse, Elevator A, 14/F, 2366 6127, rooms $90-160, always full because it's so cheap, must book ahead.
- New Peking Guesthouse, Elevator A, 12/F, 2723 8320, http://pekhotel.spaces.live.com, rooms $140-250, also very popular.
- Pay-Less, Elevator A, 7/F, 2369 5525, fax 3119 2666, $160-300.

Mirador Mansions, 56-58 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. The two below offer shared rooms for as little as $60/night, but bring your ear plugs in case of snorers.
- Cosmic Guesthouse, 12/F, 2369 6669, www.cosmicguesthouse.com, $180-240
- Garden Hostel, 3/F F4 Mirador Mansion, 2311-1183, $160-260, special features are lockers (bring your own lock), a spacious indoor area for sitting, and a spacious outdoor patio area with a sofa, table, and chairs.  They do Phillipino karaoke on Sunday evenings and martial arts on Thursday and Friday evenings.
- Star Guest House www.starguesthouse.com.hk  27238951  6/F 21 Cameron at Chatham

These in Sincere House, 83 Argyle Street, Mongkok (entrance in Fa Yuen Street):
- Dragon Inn Ah Shan, 14/F, 2787 5934, www.dragoninnhk.com, rooms $280, excellent place, very clean and friendly. Closest to exit D2 between Fa Yuen and Tung Choi street
King Wah, 10/F, 9770 5972 or 9031 5779, kingwahhostel@yahoo.com, $260, also very good.
- Dragon Hostel, 7/F, 2395 0577, dragonhostel@yahoo.com, $240
ALSO
- Yes Inn, 11/F, Rialto Mansion, 183 King's Road, Fortress Hill, 2881 7077, www.yesinn.com. Dorms and doubles, can't remember price but it's a good place, very well run and tidy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:17:11 AM by Guangzhou Writer »

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:56 AM »
Outside we got tired of being accosted over and over again by all the various Pakistanis, Indians and whatever nationalities if we wanted a phone card, the smelly food, designer (knockoff) handbags or "Rolex" watches. How many times can you tell the same people NO for them to get the idea you aren't interested.
Man-oh-man, you are dissing the ambiance and charm of Chungking Mansions and Nathan Road. That's Hong Kong heresy!

What I did once was think up a crazy line and shoot it right back at 'em for giggle's. I think it was "Monkey Queen Dominatrix???" Give that a try next time. It's sorta like a hawker talisman of protection so they can't slime you too bad.

Also, have a little heart. I reckon those Indians fellas who come to HK are worse off than indentured servants.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
Shucks Casey, why dincha ask here first? Here's a list of inexpensive hostels and guesthouses where I've stayed in HK, or where my buddy stayed and he writes the HK book for Rough Guide.

- Alisan Guesthouse, Flat A, 5/F Hoito Court, Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay (entrance in 23 Canon Street) 2838 0762 http://home.hkstar.com/~alisangh, rooms $350. Between MTR and bay.
- Bin Man / Clean Hotel in Causeway Bay, run by YoYo who accepts reservations on the phone, visited New Years' 2012. 1/F Central Bldg, 531 Jaffe Rd 2833-2063

These all in Chungking Mansions, 36-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui:
- Hawaii Guesthouse, Elevator A, 14/F, 2366 6127, rooms $90-160, always full because it's so cheap, must book ahead.
- New Peking Guesthouse, Elevator A, 12/F, 2723 8320, http://pekhotel.spaces.live.com, rooms $140-250, also very popular.
- Pay-Less, Elevator A, 7/F, 2369 5525, fax 3119 2666, $160-300.

Mirador Mansions, 56-58 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. The two below offer shared rooms for as little as $60/night, but bring your ear plugs in case of snorers.
- Cosmic Guesthouse, 12/F, 2369 6669, www.cosmicguesthouse.com, $180-240
- Garden Hostel, 3/F F4 Mirador Mansion, 2311-1183, $160-260, special features are lockers (bring your own lock), a spacious indoor area for sitting, and a spacious outdoor patio area with a sofa, table, and chairs.  They do Phillipino karaoke on Sunday evenings and martial arts on Thursday and Friday evenings.
- Star Guest House www.starguesthouse.com.hk  27238951  6/F 21 Cameron at Chatham

These in Sincere House, 83 Argyle Street, Mongkok (entrance in Fa Yuen Street):
- Dragon Inn Ah Shan, 14/F, 2787 5934, www.dragoninnhk.com, rooms $280, excellent place, very clean and friendly. Closest to exit D2 between Fa Yuen and Tung Choi street
King Wah, 10/F, 9770 5972 or 9031 5779, kingwahhostel@yahoo.com, $260, also very good.
- Dragon Hostel, 7/F, 2395 0577, dragonhostel@yahoo.com, $240
ALSO
- Yes Inn, 11/F, Rialto Mansion, 183 King's Road, Fortress Hill, 2881 7077, www.yesinn.com. Dorms and doubles, can't remember price but it's a good place, very well run and tidy.

Actually now that we have a baby to consider, Hostels are no longer an option.  Mrs. Casey has said it is either a hotel or nothing.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips gzwriter! I enjoy HK and go whenever I need a relief from the mainland.  Funny, since I think HK would be more stressful to actually live in than the mainland.  I've stayed at one or two of those mentioned, I think, but don't have the long term memory or any notes.  I've also stayed at Hakka's Guesthouse in the New Lucky House building 300 Nathan Rd 3F.  If they are full, the place next to the elevator with a Chinese name and little or no English spoken is decent enough.  Both have tiny rooms with tiny WC but decent security and wifi.

In between the Mansions and New Lucky House is a hotel called Sunny Day Hotel at 182 Nathan Rd.  I stayed there once a year or two back and it was decent.  It has a hotel feel instead of a guesthouse feel, with the lobby and uniformed staff etc.  The elevator is upstairs, though, so if you have lots to carry, it could be annoying.  It costs more than a guesthouse, but pretty reasonable for a Hong Kong hotel.  Need to book ahead in most cases. 

I've also stayed more than once at the Salisbury YMCA in the men's dorm. This is the Y so they don't have mixed dorms, but the dorms are nice.  Four beds per room, in two bunk beds. The ensuite bath has a real, separate shower and throne toilet and sink.  Lockers for your stuff.  The room is carpeted but maintained.  Two or three times, I got the room to myself.  Not bad for HK$275ish. I don't think you can book online for the dorms though.  Email or phone or show up.

As for the touts, I used to run away from them or get angry, but now I just smile and let them know I'm not interested.  I smile and shake my head, no matter how persistent they are. It seems to have worked, as I'm not bothered nearly as much as before.  I now see them as just guys trying to make a living in a tough situation.  I still don't want a suit or a copy watch or even a nice shirt, but I can smile to them and acknowledge our common humanity.  For my sake as much as theirs. On the other hand, I don't spend much time in the area.  I more often go to the Island or to the surrounding islands by ferry.