Are whiteboard markers toxic?

• 14 replies
Are whiteboard markers toxic?
« on: November 30, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »
I'm thinking temporary tattoos...

They wash off with water.

And years later cause leukemia in your children?

(I'm not really thinking temporary tattoos.  I'm just wondering what I've done to my progeny cause I got bored one day.)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
Re: Are whiteboard markers toxic?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:18:19 AM »
Maybe but at least they take the pain out of a long day at school. awawawawaw

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »
All the ones I've seen are marked "non-toxic". And I've certainly come away with enough of the ink on my hands...

Of course, this being China, God only knows what kinds of nuclear waste are actually in those "non-toxic" markers... aoaoaoaoao oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
All the ones I've seen are marked "non-toxic". And I've certainly come away with enough of the ink on my hands...

Of course, this being China, God only knows what kinds of nuclear waste are actually in those "non-toxic" markers... aoaoaoaoao oooooooooo
They are probably safer than the milk. aqaqaqaqaq

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
They are probably safer than the milk. aqaqaqaqaq

Yeah...but so are the nuclear wastes. bpbpbpbpbp
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

a few years back, when i was involved in the music industry back in USAnia, the singer ran out of eyeliner so he used black permanent marker instead...  aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »
More specific than "Non-toxic" is "Xylene-free". But noxious fumes from markers are probably a fairly minor issue. Perhaps more alarming is the fact that anti-perspirant deodorants contain chemicals which may increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease.

So it's stink or go mad. Personally, I'm not worried, as I fully intend to do both when I get old (it worked for my grandparents) but some may be concerned.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
I would think that being kept properly supplied with functional whiteboard markers in ANY country would be more important that the toxicity levels.   llllllllll
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »
Pshaw.
Chinese chalk is invariably the cheapest variety conceivable and it breaks constantly; sentences written on a chalkboard in China tend to look like they were written by someone who suffers frequent periodic seizures.

And chalk is dusty; one tends to finish a day of classes looking like a baker's apprentice.

Marker pens just get tired after a few words; the trick is to carry a quiver full of them and rotate them as they begin to fade.

And: marker pens allow one to fill lulls in a class by grabbing one, taking the top off, inhaling the vapors deeply, and lapsing into 30 seconds of uncontrollable giggling.
Actually, of course, marker pen vapors (unfortunately) have no psychopharmaceutical effects whatsoever, but I figure: WHY should we tell THEM? uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah

One good thing I can say about chalk: The nub ends make excellent shrapnel for lobbing at the heads of sleeping students. bfbfbfbfbf

Oh...I had great luck with Powerpoint in the classroom. Just gotta know how to make a good slide that will serve as a focal point for discussion.

But now, back to our topic: whiteboard marker toxicity.
Marker pen vapors (unfortunately) have no psychopharmaceutical effects whatsoever. ananananan

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
I would think that being kept properly supplied with functional whiteboard markers in ANY country would be more important that the toxicity levels.   llllllllll

Ahha!  Another person who belongs to the band of people that white board markers hate!! 

Nah, another person who always arrives just after someone decided to waste every marker in the room giving themselves temporary tattoos, making colorful drawings on paper, leaving the caps off overnight, etc.

For one job, many years ago, I kept my own secret personal supply of whiteboard markers and NEVER let them out of my sight.  They worked great.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
The true secret to white board markers is putting the caps back on.  If the pen is not in contact with the board, put the cap back on.  Not a student in the entire world knows this secret.

Put the cap back on.

Or buy a pocket protector and walk around with three or four kept warm close to your quickly beating heart.

Chalk on the other hand requires only that you write a test word or two.  This'll crack the stick down to a functional nub.  Scatter handfuls of these nubs around your podium and you're set.

I never have used Powerpoint.  It's not the overhead projector of the teaching world?

Two things I learned somewhere.  If you display a photocopied picture of something, the students will ooh and ahh and listen to you; and if you include a graphic in a reading handout, the students will read more.

You'd think then that teachers with tattoos would be more effective.  Maybe too teacher-centered, tho.  Ergo, students with tattoos!  I shall have to wait for summer again.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
The true secret to white board markers is putting the caps back on...Or buy a pocket protector and walk around with three or four kept warm close to your quickly beating heart.

Heh, I do this - the warmth seems to help - just don't forget to remove 'em from your shirt pocket before after work drinks down the pub, or you'll look like a right knob.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
The true secret to white board markers is putting the caps back on...Or buy a pocket protector and walk around with three or four kept warm close to your quickly beating heart.

Heh, I do this - the warmth seems to help - just don't forget to remove 'em from your shirt pocket before after work drinks down the pub, or you'll look like a right knob.

A right knob? Shirt pocket not trouser pocket MK. I personally would be a left knob.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
Well, with you it's hard to tell. uuuuuuuuuu
And we are so howlingly offtopic at this point. Please, kids... hhhhhhhhhh

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
Looking like a knob?  I routinely show up at the Bookworm with a heart sticker in the middle of my forehead, so that ship sailed long ago.  Having whiteboard markers is far less twerpy- tools of the trade.

Chalk gets EVERYWHERE and takes more effort to erase.  I support whiteboard markers, and hoarding them jealously.  I know the kids like to draw on the board during break, but the stupid little bastards never put the cap back on properly, then the markers crap out on me in class.

A word of warning: use the blue ones for stuff you'll soon erase.  Once that ink sets it's a bitch to scrub off.  Red's like that too, to a lesser extent, but black and green wipe off just fine.

Oh, and keep one of those stain-remover sticks in your bag.  Whiteboard ink washes out of clothes... unless it sets.  Lost a great white shirt to this.  llllllllll
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com