This week's avatar: alternate headings

• 2187 replies

old34

Re: This week's avatar: alternate headings
« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2010, 03:51:57 AM »
Whatever happened to that idea of modifying the Saloon so that the avatar only appears on one page?

Once again, though it's fun for many, some of us access the Saloon in public places in China where people all around us are, like, "look at what the laowai is looking at."

I've mentioned it before a couple of times. It's really annoying. Keep it on the front page, but lose it from the "Unread posts page" which is where I usually land when I visit the Saloon.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #676 on: November 16, 2010, 04:12:01 AM »
Was thinking the same thing, RD. Can Jerry Springer be far behind?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #677 on: November 16, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
If only her midsection were as small as her skirt.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #678 on: November 16, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
I'll take the super-sized roll with that O.J.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #679 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
That is not where you wear an armband   asasasasas
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #680 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
bkbkbkbkbk bkbkbkbkbk
I have a feeling that Bucket-Baby is going to haunt us for a long time.... ahahahahah

Meanwhile...for limiting the "cover" pic to the front page...
Brethren and Cistern, I feel your pain. And no, we haven't forgotten.
This is a very technical issue, and as such the bailiwick of our dear friend Nolefan. (One time I spilt my drink in one of them machines and big scary sparks came flyin' out, and I'm never goin' near 'em again! kkkkkkkkkk )
And guys, Br'er 'Noles is a very, very busy man. He has a Real Job (more than one, actually) and works long days trying to scratch a living out of the stony, inhospitable soil that is Beijing. And when he's not working, I strongly suspect he's either spending some time indulging in Dirty Little Monkey activities or is pasted to the sofa in a tequila coma religious trance.

I too have tech modifications I've wanted for a very long time...including a revamp of the cover picture. But the reality is that we have to work with Nolefan's very limited schedule. That's just how it is. Please never forget that it is only through the loving generosity of this lovely man that the Saloon continues to exist at all.  He deserves patience.

And the cover pic goes back to the very first days of this site. It's as much a part of the Saloon as Uncle Bertie (for you newcomers, that's the guy in the upper-left corner of the page), school horror stories, near-fatal hangovers, or chlamydia. I am sorry for the inconvenience it causes some of you, but as such, I'm not willing to eliminate it to accommodate a relatively small minority of members. (And no, my jealousy over not being able to afford a smart phone, especially in the USA where mobile-phone users are being bent over and screwed by the service providers to an unconscionable extent, has nothing to do with this...)
PLEASE be patient. We'll do what we can. bjbjbjbjbj

In the meantime, I at least hope you've noticed my own attempts to meet you half-way. I been changin' the pitcher real reg'ler-like, and I'm trying to limit the size of the photos to as small as possible... bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #681 on: November 17, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
I think I've been back in the US too long...What's the problem with the photo?
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #682 on: November 17, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »

Spot on!  Since I'm back on Earth for a visit now, she looks slightly overweight, but more than acceptable.  Back on Planet China, she's the poster girl for obesity.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #683 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »
"Will you still need me,will you still feed me when I'm sixty four?"

« Reply #684 on: November 17, 2010, 06:10:03 PM »
"Will you still need me,will you still feed me when I'm sixty four?"

She must discern between kilos and years
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #685 on: November 17, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »

Spot on!  Since I'm back on Earth for a visit now, she looks slightly overweight, but more than acceptable.  Back on Planet China, she's the poster girl for obesity.

It's not her weight. There are plenty of Chinese woman bigger than her. It's her choice of clothing.

Although that may be normal attire for an American girl these days. I don't know, I don't like to visit the States.

« Reply #686 on: November 18, 2010, 02:59:22 AM »
It's not her weight. There are plenty of Chinese woman bigger than her. It's her choice of clothing.

Although that may be normal attire for an American girl these days. I don't know, I don't like to visit the States.

I was commenting on both. I've seen some horrible fashions since returning home. I'm just glad my wife hasn't adopted such styles.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #687 on: November 18, 2010, 06:17:59 AM »
to put it bluntly, it's the discontinuity between the outfit and the belly. See, the outfit is supposed to be sexy but instead accentuated the grosser elements of the physique in question. She'd look hotter in overalls. It's the irony. Something along those lines.

Yeah, but she'd still be considered borderline sexy in the USA (and downright slender in Tennessee - if you want to feel thin, visit there).  Personally, I enjoy tacky clothing like that on a girl, but only if she's built for it.  In China, she's definitely not built for it.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #688 on: November 21, 2010, 01:51:48 AM »
I don't like to visit the States.

Between the notorious rudeness and bullying of their customs officials, and that new nudey machine they installed at airports, I can't say that I'm too keen on touring America either.  Shame, I really like the people.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #689 on: November 21, 2010, 02:05:03 AM »
I don't like to visit the States.

Between the notorious rudeness and bullying of their customs officials, and that new nudey machine they installed at airports, I can't say that I'm too keen on touring America either.  Shame, I really like the people.

Try it when you look like you could be Middle Eastern. It's frightening. A fine place with wonderful people but it's not worth crossing the border any more.