The football/soccer thread

• 188 replies
Re: The football/soccer thread
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
Grant has done a decent job though.

It was about time someone other than the Big Snore won a trophy, even though it was Spuds.

Let's home pompey can pull off the FA Cup to go with it!

Apparently if cardiff were somehow to win the cup, they wouldn't be allowed into europe.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
Yeah grant has done well, but then with the squad at his disposal so he should. I'm just not convinced he can make the right choices when things aren't going our way.

Apparently if cardiff were somehow to win the cup, they wouldn't be allowed into europe.
Really? now i want them to win, just to see what happens.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »
Well, apparently it's to do with the fact that they're welsh.  UEFA has said that their only route into Europe would be via the Welsh Cup (which they can win and then get into Europe, IF they get through those endless preliminary round things in the summer) or the League of Wales if they took part.

Presumably this also means that if Cardiff got to the Prem and got to say 4th place, they still wouldn't make the CL.

I agree, though, it's an interesting question and I hope it happens.  I like these little football irregularities.  Enjoyed all the conundrum over Liverpool winning the CL and not making 4th place a couple of years ago, although I was kind of pissed off that UEFA granted them special dispensation.  Liverwank do get away with a lot I find. 
It is too early to say.

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 08:04:14 PM »
apparently it's to do with the fact that they're welsh

That's a good enough reason for me. ahahahahah

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
I wonder if the 'The Old Firm should be in the Premiership' bunch have considered this question.

Cardiff would have serious grounds for complaint if they won the FA Cup and then weren't allowed into Europe, and then Celtic/Rangers joined the Prem and did get into Europe via it...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
Good results all round in Europe. I'm happy because Lampard and Ballack are starting to look good together.

I've seen the Arse-nal highlights and they looked pretty good, and so did Utd apparently although not seen there game.

I'm even hoping Liverpool get the right result next week.

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2008, 03:19:01 PM »
We got hammered at pramfield though  asasasasas
It is too early to say.

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
A question if anyone has time. Why were Liv playing WSTHM on a CL night?  Does the schedule get changed during the winter with all the various cups?  Always wondered this..

At the risk of making enemies I'm really starting to like ARS. Iswa the match Milan 2 weeks ago and they were fine although it ended 0-0. And from what I read they were the better side by far in Italy. They seem like a plucky young team that you can't help cheering for---not all primadonnas (yet!)   Maybe I have it all wrong though..

Where can I find a bootleg ARS shirt HAHA.

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
Not entirely sure but it has something to do with Inter playing in a domestic cup, although why that wouldn't be postponed in preference to the CL i don't know

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
No - the fixture was meant to have been played right back at the beginning of the season.  It was moved because Liverpool were playing in a Champions League qualifier.  This was in August.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
Thanks dudes. (Where is the scratching forehead smiley?) And last week the Carling Cup was on an EPL weekend. So they would NEED to change the sched as the season goes along right?

Hmm - back to the cabernet sauignon I guess.

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Wow! The F.A. cup is back.

Pretty amazing results yesterday. Obviously i'm not happy Chelsea lost, but hats of to Barnsley. Beating Liverpool and now Chelsea is quite a feat for them.

not since 1987 has the last four featured none of Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool or Chelsea.

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
Yes! Hadn't seen that result but it was about time a non big-snore team won the Cup!
It is too early to say.

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 05:31:25 AM »
Cardiff look like having won at boro.

Just one prem side left :D

Meanwhile, we are having a nightmare at Spuds.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 05:32:41 AM »
When's the Euro Cup start?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com