A different New Year

• 6 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
A different New Year
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »
I went over to my favourite place on earth and celebrated T'tan New Year there with my friends.  Had an absolutely fabulous time, despite being followed by police, watched by the army and repeatedly told to be out of town by the 31st as the area was being closed to foreigners on that date.

Local night club.  Friend's daughter is one of the singers.

Another performer

The musos.  The instrument in the front right is a 'dram niang', traditional T'tan guitar.

Fresh food doesn't come to town very often, so it's buy up big time when the trucks do come.

The traditional belt-maker.  These belts are worn by the women and are often passed down in families.

Winter stockpile - keeping the stove going is one of the most important activities.

The day before New Year's Eve, the monks hold the Gedor festival to cleanse the past year and make the next year better. The festival is based around dancing and burning away teh bad stuff.

Monastery in the afternoon light.

Gloriously elaborate costumes

Prayer

Fire to cleanse the old year

The monk police, keeping everyone away from the dancing arena.  And they WILL hit people with the staff.

Horn players

Long horns and big drums.

Energetic dancing - yak and deer masks.

A more stately dance in amazing costumes.

Scary masks

A death dance

Death comes in a pair

See Ma, I can fly!!

A small part of the 3000 strong audience.  They came from 70-80kms away by truck, motorbike, minivan, 3-wheel farm trailer-bikes etc.

My favourite place on earth

Winter morning

I stayed with one of my friends in his village for New Year.  Here his wife, daughter and sister-in-law are preparing momos - T'tan dumplings.

Setting up the room for the New Year.  We did this around 11:30pm on New Year's Eve. The rugs are where people sleep - it doubles as seating during the day.

Offerings to the gods.  Barley flour, yak butter, yak cheese and sugar.

On New Year's Day, we got up at 4:30am, the women went to get water and when we came back, we had breakfast of tsampa and then dressed in new clothes to celebrate.

After the fellas came home from looking after the sheep and yaks all night we started eating and drinking and that continued all day!  We did the 'rellie circuit' and other rellies visited us. 

Next day I went to another friend's village and did his rellie circuit as well.

My friend's brothers, plus other nieces and nephews in new sarra (chupa) made by my mate's mother.

Another visit - oh those cheekbones!  akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak

Village basketball

More rellies.  The young fella in red is a local movie star.  (And Grand-dad got in a quick couple of pats on the derriere as well! ahahahahah ahahahahah)

Yak on ice.

It was a fabulous time, and I was so grateful to be asked to share this time with my friends and their families.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:51:55 PM by Lotus Eater »

Schnerby

Re: A different New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 03:30:04 AM »
Great pics, as always.
Such colour! It really does look to be an amazing place.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:42 AM »

They could start a band.  4 Alvins and a Chipmunk.

All four of them look like famous dudes.  Were they hiding out?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:53:21 AM »
No - fellas this yummy are everywhere in my favourite place!  akakakakak akakakakak ahahahahah ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Shroomy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Could you send the lad on the far right with my parcel, please?
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »
A colourful place, but I'm still not tempted to go there. Like Harbin Ice Festival, I'll look at the photos, thanks! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
Lotus Eater, how I envy your being able to live the dream. My heart appears to have put paid to my plan to teach in China. I now must view the experiences through your eyes. Thanks for taking the time to share this. bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag