College life or Uni life movies

• 21 replies

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
College life or Uni life movies
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
I have a number of students who are interested in watching some movies showing western world students.  They are really interested in seeing what it's like for students in our home countries.  I will forward a list of movies to them when all you guys and gals find the time to post them here.  Sad to say, but I don't have a clue.  We haven't done much watching of movies either back home in Canada or here in China.  Please help
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
Re: College life or Uni life movies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »
Take the Lead with Antonio Banderas.

It went over very well with my students, based on a true story.
Setting is a poorer high school in NYC, a ballroom dance teacher who tries to get through to the students through dance, they of course are into hip/hop but eventually come round and bring their own moves into the ballroom dance scene.  Lots of music and dance and though not really deep, it's a look at the struggles faced by students growing up on the 'other side' of town.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »
Ya, I saw that one.  Very good.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »
If you can handle a couple of films with High School themes, as well?

Stomp the Yard
Drumline
Sister Act 2
Stand and Deliver
Dangerous Minds
Goodbye, Mr.Chips
Patch Adams
Dead Poets Society
Lean On Me
To Sir, With Love
Legally Blonde

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 12:11:44 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 12:24:52 AM »
Some of those might be too violent, but all are good.

I didn't show Legally Blond to my students for only one reason.  She talks too fast and I don't think they could follow her conversations.  I think it is excellent for college life and has no sex or violence which I use as a criteria. 

To Sir with Love is also very good.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

babala

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:51:24 AM »
My students loved

Bring it On
Sixteen Candles
She's All That
Sleepover
Lizzie McGuire
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:59:04 AM »
Some of those might be too violent, but all are good.

Too violent?  I don't know.  The only one with an "R" rating was Dangerous Minds.  The rest didn't get higher than a "PG-13".  And Eagle did title this for College/Uni.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:16:28 AM »
Breakfast Club.

Best high school movie ever.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 01:32:55 AM »
I like the list so far.  Thanks all, and keep them coming.  I will give the final list to the students on Monday. bfbfbfbfbf
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 02:26:25 AM »
If... - very good (but you probably won't find it here) UK film about Oxford students going mental and machine-gunning each other.  Got the guy from Clockwork Orange in.
It is too early to say.

icebear

• ????
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 02:32:04 AM »
I'll second the Breakfast Club.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 03:57:49 AM »
... and I'll third it.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 04:41:46 AM »
How about:

American Graffiti
Mr Holland's Opus
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

moon over parma

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 06:54:52 PM »
 I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

There was an American series (short-lived, but able to sneak out a complete series DVD boxed set) called UNDECLARED. It's of recent vintage, and although it's a comedy, it still maintained enoug hcredibility that it could work. Going by a few visits to Shanghai a couple of years ago, I suspect it might be available on the China pirate sector.

What about REAL GENIUS? Not so realistic, but that springs to mind.

While a product of the late-eighties/early-nineties, HOW I GOT INTO COLLEGE is both a sincere, sweet little comedy, but reflects the anxieties over SATS, getting into the university one desires, and the universal anxiety one faces when they realize it's time to decide which path to take as an adult.

While bleak and not a great film, John Singleton's HIGHER LEARNING offers up serious topics that many young people face when entering the university system. Social problems, in particular, are the crux of this film.

Then there's a few I proably wouldn't show in class, but would offer up as suggestions to mature students:

THE RULES OF ATTRACTION, based upon the Brett Easton Ellis novel, and while satirical (ala black comedy) I found its take on some fascets of undergraduate life to be spot-on.

STORYTELLING is another.

Come to think of it, HIGHER LEARNING would be more appropriate here, than as a general presentation.

Those spring to mind as having some immediacy.

If it was more about college experiences through the ages or with an emphasis on entertainment then ANIMAL HOUSE, P. C. U., National Lampoon's DORM DAZE, FRATERNITY ROW, ROAD TRIP, OLD SCHOOL, DEAD MAN ON CAMPUS, R. P. M., DRIVE, HE SAID, and THE STRAWBERRY STATEMENT, and the Canadian aniamted series UNDERGRADS. However, I don't think any of them would be appropriate for class presentation. More on a personal recommendation thing...

If anyone is focused on high school then I offer up the following suggestions:

STAND AND DELIVER, DEGRASSI HIGH (a television series released as DVD boxed sets in Canada and America, so possibly lurking on the Chinese underground), MY SO-CALLED LIFE (same stats I mentioned for DEGRASSI), THE WONDER YEARS (a long shot, since I think only the first season has been announced for a boxed set - and its not until season 4 that its protagonist enters high school, so I guess this is more of a name-check suggestion than anything practical), the film adaptation of THE CHOCOLATE WAR, SCHOOL TIES,  ELEPHANT, and Frederick Wiseman's documentaries HIGH SCHOOL and HIGH SCHOOL II
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:59:05 PM by moon over parma »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:42:06 AM »
Mona Lisa Smile, Up the Down Staircase.