Avenues for learning Chinese

• 65 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Avenues for learning Chinese
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »
The er thing is really mixed.  Here we say yidiandian instead of yidian(r).  But wan(r) is used all of the time.

And then of course in the markets, restaurants etc they chat in local dialect anyway.

Schnerby

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
I seem to have picked up that you speak your local dialect or at least sound vaguely local (correct me if I'm wrong) LE, so do you think this makes a difference to the way people relate to you?

Where I was the 'er' was considered rather formal and marked me as having learned elsewhere.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
When I came here I spoke with the 'er' - and was laughed at for sounding Beijing-ren.  My first Chinese teacher was studying his PhD in Oz and teaching Chinese and he was from north of Beijing.

If you can say a few words in local dialect they LOVE you!  But having done the majority of my learning here, I am now not 100% sure what is local dialect, what is local putonghua and what is 'real' putonghua!

My friends tell me I have a better accent than Kevin Rudd, even if I'm not as fluent! ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Schnerby

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
I had a conversation in Chinese with Kevin Rudd when I had no idea who he was!

When I was at school he spoke to students who were learning Chinese, Indonesian and Korean in Melbourne at a big conference. He did address us partially in Chinese. We were late into the room so I didn't hear the intro of who he was (oh some opposition politician) A friend of mine dragged me to talk to him afterwards, saying, 'hey you look like my friend's Dad' (and yeah he does look a bit like Dad).

For the record he does use the 'er'. I only remember because we spoke about sport.

So, if you want to learn Modern Cursive Beijing Standard then Kevin Rudd may be a good source.   ahahahahah ahahahahah

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 04:18:58 AM »
Eric

You were talking about some tapes you bought that were very good.  It was in another thread but could you give me the name of it so I can look it up.  akakakakak akakakakak

Thanks

Sorry, I did not actually see this until now. I think the ones you mean are the "Integrated Chinese" cd's. They are very good, but really only of any use if you get the books too.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 04:38:47 AM »

So, if you want to learn Modern Cursive Beijing Standard then Kevin Rudd may be a good source.   

Only if you live in Beijing - otherwise you'll get laughed at, corrected, especially on the s/sh, c/ch, z/zh, 'er', tones and other bits and pieces.

I had to laugh when I visited a university about an hour's trainride from Beijing.  There were signs up all over the uni directing teachers to teach in putonghua, directing students to use it speaking to each other.  (And the signs were written in English as well as Chinese - lingua franca!)

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 02:40:44 AM »
Right then. I'm keeping myself busy at work writing characters like my life depended on it but have realized one thing: Though I am swiftly picking up all the almost forgotten Chinese, greetings, questions, stock phrases and learning 10 new characters every day, there is still an issue with the food. Does anyone know of a good book/exercise or something of that ilk that guides you through the most common and general characters one would encounter on a menu?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »
I found this book. The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters, by James D. Macrawley. Anyone ever heard of it?

Acjade

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »
Nope. But I love his name.

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 12:01:30 AM »
Actually, I got it wrong. It's McCawley. But it is a cool name. Which I have now thiefed for a meany character in the long-awaited and much delayed Christmas calendar.

AMonk

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »
I found this book. The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters, by James D. Macrawley. Anyone ever heard of it?

Amazon.com (US) gives it 4-star rating.  Looks interesting.  I've ordered it.  Thanks, Eric.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 01:06:29 AM »
My pleasure agagagagag I got it used on Amazon (UK) for 2 GBP. We'll have to compare notes at some point.

Rajin

• Kickass and eat cheezeballs
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »
You could just go to a chinese restaurant and steal a menu! :D

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 03:12:09 AM »
Ok, rajin, let's indulge in a little experiment, eh?

Hakkebøf med bløde løg
Kylling med spinat, agurkesalat og rødvinssauce
Stegt banan med vanille is og hakkede nødder
Brændende Kærlighed
Jansson's Fristelser
Biksemad

If I were to steal a Chinese menu, how would I learn the names of the dishes or understand them? The above are all fairly common dishes to be found in local restaurants here. If you can, within the next three months, translate them for me, I will buy you the most expensive bottle of whisky Metro has agagagagag agagagagag

Monkey King

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:43 AM »
Tranlsate them into English? With the power of Google anything is possible.  You might be buying that whisky yet.

"Butter-fried bacon and onion on top of mashed potatoes" sounds yummy, albeit potentially heart attack enducing.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:47:01 AM by MK »