Weather Check

• 1321 replies
Re: Weather Check
« Reply #900 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
It is really cold in Beijing today, 9 degrees outside right now. Definitely the coldest day of the year, which makes me think teacheraus' weather has headed down this way. I'm not ready for it to get cold yet, we still have until mid-November before the heat gets turned on.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #901 on: October 18, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
Beautiful Dongguan is a little toasty again, so the ACs are back on with the windows closed.

I need an umbrella for my table.  Then I could take the laptop up to the roof and work from there once temps fall a few degrees again.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #902 on: October 19, 2010, 04:48:07 AM »
Montreal: 7C outside, 22C in the flat. :)

Ruth

« Reply #903 on: October 29, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »
Walked into class yesterday and was greeted with "Aaaaaaah" from the entire class.(The rising and falling sound doesn't translate into print.)  I had an idea what the exclamation was about, but decided to pursue it anyway.

Me: What's wrong?
Them: You're so strong.
Me: Why?
Them: So little clothes. 

Temp was 18C.  I was wearing a short sleeved sweater.  I'm glad to be wearing it again, as it's one of my favorites.  Too hot to wear in the summer. Not warm enough for the winter.  Perfect for crisp fall days.  They were wearing leggings, coats, sweaters and probably layers of long johns.

This weather is fabulous.  I love it.  Warm sunny days and cool nights for sleeping.  I'm missing the colored leaves that I believe go along with this kind of weather at this time of year.  Alas, not to be found in the sunny south.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #904 on: October 29, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
Ruth, hear hear!

First time in winter pj's last night, lovely to curl up in bed! Sky's a lovely flawless blue (even for Guangzhou!), crisp mornings warming nicely by lunch, what's NOT to love?

Students of course dislike it- and dislike it more when I tell them it's only going to get colder  uuuuuuuuuu!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #905 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
Hi there to you all, and particularly Ruth and Becster.  I too, am enjoying this wonderful weather.   I put on a pair of jeans yesterday for the first time since leaving Australia in August!!  I have not quite got to the winter pj's yet, but I am thinking it will not be long.  So good, to snuggle up in bed, without the air con or even a fan.

I love this time of year.

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.

bxbxbxbxbx

xwarrior

« Reply #906 on: October 29, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »

enjoying this wonderful weather

... wish I was back in Zhaoqing!  ananananan

For most of this week it has been 2C overnight and struggling to get up to 3/4C in the daytime.

Still, looks like we are in for a good spell over the next few days and we may get back into double-digits.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #907 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
Just wait until a warm day here in the tropics in December.  I've gotten shocked looks for wearing a t-shirt on a 24 degree day.  Since it was "Winter", I was obviously incredibly strong to be outside without wearing a parka.  ahahahahah

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ruth

« Reply #908 on: October 29, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
Yes.  I've sweltered here at Christmas in my Christmasy clothes.  Santa just about melts.

« Reply #909 on: October 30, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »
I wore my "real" winter coat a couple of days this week - because it got down to -8/-9C without the windchill factor added in. I have a class on Monday that doesn't finish until 6 and start teaching at 8 on Tuesday morning and one thing I learnt well is that the temperature goes down as soon as the sun does and takes a while to come up in the morning. Monday and Tuesday both got all the way up to 1C, though the wind chill factor did mean that it actually never felt like that (not that even that is warm). I have some intereting conversations with some of my students about the weather here - because the students come from all over the country and I have 2 classes with around 30 Freshmen. For many of them it is the first winter they have had away from the weather of the South. We also have an American teacher for whom this is also a first "real" winter. She grew up in Southern Califoria and has just spent a couple of years teaching in the South. I actually find it difficult at the moment to remember what the temperatures you are describing feel like - All I know is that cold would not be a word I would use.  But we are lucky that China is big enough to have weather to suit all of us at least some of the time.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

AMonk

« Reply #910 on: October 31, 2010, 04:39:17 AM »
....All I know is that cold would not be a word I would use....

The Brits have an expression that might suit - Cold enough the freeze the balls off a brass monkey aoaoaoaoao ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...

Ruth

« Reply #911 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
teacheraus, I'm wondering what your students from the south are wearing in the negative temps you are describing.  Their sisters here are bundled up and we're in the high teens.  I can imagine them in layers of long johns, wrapped in quilts and still not warm enough.

« Reply #912 on: November 12, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
We in Harbin are currently having what is called "Heavy Snow". This is something that we only experienced once last Winter in mid April - and which did a very good job of disrupting the city. One of the forecasts forecast "3 to 6 inches". Looking at how much has falling in the relatively short time since it started (less than 3 hours) I think anything is posible and it will probably not be easy to get around the city tomorrow morning. The view from my window even in the dark and nor being able to see very far due to the snow, looks just like winter looked last year.

I can remember saying last April that it was good that the heavy snow happened when it did (ie after it had started to warm up - because if it had happened in "real" winter it was possible that it would not melt until around March.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #913 on: November 12, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
We had heavy snow fairly early last year here in Beijing and it seriously did not melt all winter, until maybe March-ish. It turned black and disgusting of course, especially the parts clumped around the trees, sitting outside in Beijing for 3 months -- totally nasty!

« Reply #914 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
It is a glorious sunny day in Harbin today. Looking beautiful with all the snow from the last few days. It is currently -12C at 10:54am. The forecast was for something like -2C but at this stage I don't think it is going to get there.