Poll

Do I need a degree or my TESOL .. both or nothing at all?

Degree required
10 (71.4%)
Cheap TESOL?
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

What do I need to teach in China?

• 40 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: What do I need to teach in China?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 07:34:14 AM »
I took Oxford Seminars too and it did it a lot to prepare me for teaching. Raoul is right...it makes little difference in your job prospects. BUT it will  do a world of good for your teaching skills. Learn how to teach before you become a teacher...you'll be grateful later.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
Experience in front of a class is a wonderful thing to have in China! If you get some by doing a TESOL course, go for it.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 01:50:27 PM »
Oxford will not teach you how to spell...more along the lines of activities to do with kids, different approaches to teaching, cultural differences to consider, etc.  Hopefully you'll get an instructor who taught overseas and will bring his/her own experiences to the table.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Em

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:11:38 PM »
I am in the same boat as you Laura so thanks for asking the question. I also have no degree as I went to film school instead of university. I am at university now part time while I work but have only finished 2 papers (out of 24  ananananan) It's all too much with my hours at work the slave drivers that they are. I was hoping doing a TEFL course would make me somewhat employable (as well as my cheerfull disposition  jjjjjjjjjj) I am actually really worried about the whole thing though, especially the working visa situation.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
My missus got an online TEFL to work at a uni here in China.  She didn't have a teacher's degree so it was of some use as far as a certificate went.  The real work starts when you find yourself at a school in front of kids (even students at unis are kids to an old fogee like me).  At that point, you are either a teacher or you aren't.  Important to realize, that a teacher does make mistakes AND learns from these mistakes knowing that each new class, year, school will provide you with all kinds of opportunities to continue learning, to continue making new and creative mistakes. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:03 AM »
Eagle, very very few ESL teachers in China have a teacher's degree or PGCE... Most (like me) just have a BA in something totally irrelevant to ESL!
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:52 PM »
Some (like me) received their post secondary (tertiary) education at the college level and have no uni degree.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:50:35 PM by kcanuck »
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 12:15:54 PM »
You can find jobs here with almost any piece of paper - just some will be better paid and with better conditions than others.

But what do you NEED to teach in China?

A sense of humour
patience
a willingness to let your 'home world' disappear and be taken over by a totally different world
a high level of acceptance
an ability to live within your own skin and not rely on others
total adaptability and flexibility
genuine interest in others
creativity

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
Eagle, very very few ESL teachers in China have a teacher's degree or PGCE... Most (like me) just have a BA in something totally irrelevant to ESL!

So I am a freak  amamamamam
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

So I am a freak  amamamamam

Well, you said it we didn't.  ahahahahah Guess you really belong at the saloon and in China too.  agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:57:41 PM »
Lotus Eater ... wow! Words of wisdom and the best description of what is REALLY needed to teach in China.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »

So I am a freak  amamamamam

No, not a freak, but I do hope you're getting top dollar at an international school, rather than working in a bog standard TEFL position (Unless you enjoy doing so, I guess)
It is too early to say.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
You can find jobs here with almost any piece of paper - just some will be better paid and with better conditions than others.

But what do you NEED to teach in China?

A sense of humour
patience
a willingness to let your 'home world' disappear and be taken over by a totally different world
a high level of acceptance
an ability to live within your own skin and not rely on others
total adaptability and flexibility
genuine interest in others
creativity

Very good post Lotus.  It takes a long time to get used to the Chinese mentality, that is something that the CELTA could never have prepared me for, much of what I did on the CELTA was utterly irrelevant to my teaching here.
It is too early to say.

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
Not sure if I am getting top dollar and I am certain I am not teaching in the best of positions (farmed out). But it is all good.  agagagagag
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
Freak!