Food fantasies and fetishes - what are you craving?

• 105 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Food fantasies and fetishes - what are you craving?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
Awwww...you remind me of one of the possible titles of my probably-never-to-be-written China memoirs: A Fridge-Full of Donkey Meat Dumplings
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
etr, if you look carefully at a lot of those skins, the pattern on the skin is often spray-painted on.

There are people in China hunting endangered animals for their various parts, but they're usually not stupid enough to hawk pelts on the street.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
Now you've done it.  I'm craving donkey dumplings.

AAAAAHHHH!!!!  While I was typing that, an insatiable craving for Donkey Burgers formed in my mind.

I'm still looking for civet meat.  Someday I WILL have a civet burger with cheese!
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 12:04:23 AM »
I dunno, RD. I think this would make a better song than a memoire

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »
You hum it and I'll play along
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

old34

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
McDonald's China currently has on offer a bacon double cheeseburger not at all like their standard double cheeseburger. Larger patties than regular/Big Mac patties, smaller than the quarter pounder patty I remember.) On a large sesame seed bun with a....piquant sauce...that isn't all that bad. Not sure what it is-maybe Big Mac Sauce mixed with a bit of ketchup + black pepper.

One thing I've found in Beijing since moving here is that there are lots of places that serve hamburgers and fairly cheap (20-30 RMB) for a fair sized burger+fries. But the meat they use is poorly chopped/minced. I find a few bone fragments in almost every burger which, along with the undercooking, puts me off. 
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
I kicked the McD's burger habit cold turkey many years ago.  I do occasionally eat their fries and ice cream, but have had one too many "quarter pounder before cooking, eighth (or less) pounder after cooking" and "wow this tastes like cardboard" experiences to ever play burger roulette at their tables again.
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
Now the man is toying with me - he says Air Canuck's 1 free suitcase policy means no room for Cheezeez.   amamamamam

He's not serious though.  Can't be.  kkkkkkkkkk

I'm afraid it's true... and just one of the reasons I will not fly with them.  kkkkkkkkkk  Besides, on long-haul transpacifics, the stewardesses on EVA are much more pleasant  afafafafaf than Air Canucks's flight attendants - who tend to be aging 'union' hags and boys 'a little light on their loafers' (not that there's anything wrong with that).
 bibibibibi
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
I saw Air Kanuckistan is also limiting the size of that "personal item" you get in addition to your carry on bag to something about the size of a very small purse.

No way to bring a laptop, a few other items to valuable and delicate to trust to the baggage barbarians, and a sufficient supply of snacks you've been craving1 to endure a flight.  Glad I spotted that the last time I was in a US airport.

1. Look Ma!  I'm on topic.
EscapedLunatic.com

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2012, 01:15:15 AM »
good old aussie pies are basically all I crave these days. I have to find if the shanghai pie place does mailorder. It's a bit far for a daytrip.

Had home made bratwurst tonight, with fried onions and tomato sauce on home made crusty bread.

You people who can just buy the stuff are so lucky. Went nuts in a Wellcome last week in HK, but teh timtams are down to just 6 and now Mrs N and little miss N are addicts and I have to SHARE!! ananananan

Swan tastes like tough old goose, the only time I tried it, medieval style. Peacock too.

ETR, why don't you pickle your own herrings? The vikings did it so it can't be too hard. Surely some other fish tastes like herrings if you can't get thems, and add some dill and peppercorns and some little cucumbers or whatever is your taste. I like them with mustard sauce, hot, on toast for brekkie. But I would experiment with kippers before pickling fish, if I was so inclined.

We make sourkraut here sometimes, and pickled onions etc.

Gunna do something about a stovetop smokehouse one of these days.

And a still. They ran out of Vodka in this city anywhere practical nearby, again!!!!
 aoaoaoaoao
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »
Now the man is toying with me - he says Air Canuck's 1 free suitcase policy means no room for Cheezeez.   amamamamam

He's not serious though.  Can't be.  kkkkkkkkkk

I'm afraid it's true... and just one of the reasons I will not fly with them.  kkkkkkkkkk  Besides, on long-haul transpacifics, the stewardesses on EVA are much more pleasant  afafafafaf than Air Canucks's flight attendants - who tend to be aging 'union' hags and boys 'a little light on their loafers' (not that there's anything wrong with that).
 bibibibibi

:) yah ... I was on one of the very last flights to squeak on with two free checked bags last year.  I flew Air Emirates back and forth the last time and must say that although there was the rather long stretch in Dubai's terminal 3 to drag my arse dog-tired arse through for 9 hours - it weren't so bad, really.  ...beat the SNOT out of the pay-for-the-privilege-of-having-my-knees-jammed-up-under-my-chin-for-14-hours direct flight via air kanuckistan. AK can suck it.

I was referring to the cheezies back there - as in - [he can't be serious about refusing to bring them to me! o_O noooooooes!!!]...  

I've got a ONE SNACK MIND lately.  I'm actually using anecdotes about what has become the legendary Cheezie debate to elucidate grammar.

Now he says he's gonna pay for a second checked bag ... (I should alert him about the carry on change though - that's bloody ridiculous!) ... but he says the Stupid Store up the road that could always be counted on to stock the hawkins' IS OUT!   ananananan

He lands on Sunday night!!! With Cheezies ....? OR WITHOUT o_O.  aoaoaoaoao

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:30:59 PM by Maifeilan »
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
if he comes without, send him back.
Or as the spartans would say, "with your bag of Hawkins or on it"

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »
Had wife interrogate a meat seller at village market.  No donkey meat.  No idea where to get donkey meat. ananananan
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
You can get it at our local Metro supermarket I posted a pic a while back (or sent it to RD I forget which)
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
Offerings at Metro vary over time and by city, but I'll try to check soon.  Thanks Piglet!
EscapedLunatic.com