Food fantasies and fetishes - what are you craving?

• 105 replies
Re: Food fantasies and fetishes - what are you craving?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 07:22:09 PM »
We have avocados in Dalian.  Pricy  bibibibibi  6 / 100rmb  asasasasas
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
A few things I havn't made in a while, because I've been too lazy busy. Cheese and onion bread. Leek and potato soup. Roast chicken. I should do one or more of these while my mother in law is visiting. Maybe this weekend. Pancakes with maple syrop and either bacon or brekkie sausages would be a fantastic weekend brekkie! Hmm, can I get pancake mix here? I'll have a look at my favourite haunts on Saturday

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
avacodos - I have seen in chengdu quite often at Sabrina's country store across from Sichuan uni. and here in Shanghai I see them quite often at every store I have been too including century mart - and not a bad price either.

Pancake mix is also quite widely available. Metro carries a few different brands, carrefour, Auchan, City shop all also carry some. I have found it in every city i have been too as I love my pancake brekkies. Usually with some fruit added. The hard part to get is the maple syrup (at a decent price).

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
The foreign grocery store has avocadoes for 38 kwai for 500 grams. Problem is that you must buy 3 at a time and they are small

We also have an "Avocado Lady" who brings them in from Yunnan for 18 kwai each. Her's are the size of cantalopes! But not big on taste

goodnews/badnews
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
Jusco in Guangzhou always has avocadoes, just can't remember how much they are though. Now everyone's talking about them, think I'll buy some this weekend to put on toast  bfbfbfbfbf.

Specialty foreign food shops like Corner's Deli in Guangzhou/ Donnguan and Metro stores have pancake mixes (Betty Crocker)- I've seen blueberry, and buttemilk as well as plain in 1kg boxes. I've gone off pancakes for awhile- all the oil/ fat it takes to make them! But I do have a box in the cupboard for when I do feel the need to tear into some again, as well as a BIG bottle of maple syrup to drown ém in!

I just wish Corner's would hurry up and get the 'Better for Bread" flour back in, it's been a few weeks now and I want to keep my stash up for pizza making!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

AMonk

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »
I'll put up a recipe for Pancakes in the Recipe Section, by Friday evening (my time).
Moderation....in most things...

xwarrior

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:49 AM »
Pancake mix is also quite widely available.

We always made our own Pancakes back home - I have never tasted the packet variety. It is a pretty basic mixture of self-raising flour/eggs/sugar/milk. Our pancakes are cooked in butter - a dab wiped around the pan - so there is no oil taste. I look forward to seeing Amonk's recipe.

New Zealand is not big on maple syrup. The two standard dressings are:

1. Golden Syrup - so sweet that after 2 pancakes you think that you will throw up if you have one more (kids love them)

2. Lemon juice/Sugar - sprinkle sugar over the pancake and then squeezes of lemon juice (a taste sensation)

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

flip

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
Since I'm in Canada (in the land of the French to be more precise), I'm missing me some sweet and sour beef I had at the Teddy Bear Hostel in Emei Shan.  Hostel food had only been so-so until behold, this plate of pure taste-awesome hit my tongue.  Oh man I wish I had ordered on the first night and not on the last!

I know, though, that I'll be jonesing real bad for some poutine when I'm abroad.  Anyone know any place that has this?  I believe while I was in Shanghai there was a fancy shmancy restaurant owned by a Canadian in the Shanghai Financial Tower, but I don't know if she would serve that...it's not exactly a fancy food.

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
where? -- good price!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
I'm already plotting to gain about 5 kg while visiting the US.  I can already hear the call of wild Cheeze-it's waiting to be hunted down and eaten. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
Don't worry EL, you'll soon find a way to work  uuuuuuuuuu it off! bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
I know, though, that I'll be jonesing real bad for some poutine when I'm abroad.  Anyone know any place that has this?

The Bookworm in Suzhou used to serve poutine. Don't know if they still do.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »
I brought something back with me in September.  Sitting in my lap now is the ONLY box of reduced fat Cheez-Its in all of China (at least the only one I'm aware of).

I've defended this box valiantly.  My best friend almost opened it out of curiosity in September and I snatched it away from her and tossed some chocolate her way as a distraction while I hid it.  My wife wanted me to take it to her hometown for Spring Festival.  "Get your own box" was one of the better mottos used to promote Cheez-Its. uuuuuuuuuu

The expiration date is approaching.  If I don't do this now, I'll have a box of stale Cheez-Its.  I'm about to rip it open and go face down into the box.  If I don't make it back, please know that I was happy during those last moments.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

old34

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
I brought something back with me in September.  Sitting in my lap now is the ONLY box of reduced fat Cheez-Its in all of China (at least the only one I'm aware of).

City Shops in Shanghai carry them, though at 74 RMB a box, I'm not that big a fan of them.

http://is.gd/KnH5kO
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Go to Taobao and type in "Cheez-It" and you'll get about 10 hits and most of them cheaper than CIty Shop. So you can have them delivered to your door the next time the urge strikes.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.