Tech problem

• 7 replies

Mister Al

• Wee McKenzie
Tech problem
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
When I try to go into gmail on my laptop it just keeps 'clicking'away but will not open the page. I've tried to get to the home page/sign in page through various avenues but to no avail. At first I thought it was a net problem, but I can get into gmail on my wife's computer in the next room and we both use the same internet line.  llllllllll  Any ideas what the problem might be?
Live your life and beat your drum
Hope your smiling when the angels come

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Tech problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »

which browser? which OS ? etc... details would help
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Mister Al

• Wee McKenzie
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:54:04 AM »
IE Browser (not sure of number) and Windows XP home.

Wife suggests I should change browser to Firefox, but not sure if I want to do that.

old34

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:13 AM »
At first I thought it was a net problem, but I can get into gmail on my wife's computer in the next room and we both use the same internet line.  llllllllll  Any ideas what the problem might be?

Two different computers from the same IP address trying to log in to two different Gmail accounts...especially if one of them is already logged in to one account. Thus the infinite "clicking away" on the other machine trying to login on the same line to a different account.

Maybe.

If you can log in to your account on her machine, you must necessarily log out of her account first.

P.S. Once you are "signed-in" to Gmail or Google or any of their services, your machine is signed in. Look in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. You'll need to sign-out to sign out of all Google services. (What I mean is, if your wife signs into her gmail and then starts surfing other sites, say here for instance, she's not logged out from Google or Gmail and this non-logout may be what's futzing up YOUR login from another machine on the same line.

Try having your wife log off her gmail account on her machine and then you log in to your account on your machine.

Does that work?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:02:39 AM by old34 »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
Worth trying, but not likely to be a problem of 2 machines on the same IP.  I currently have 2 instances of gmail and 2 instances of "Elite Universe Mail" (gmail for companies) running.  1 of each in IE and FireFox.

You don't have to give up IE, but could take Firefox, Opera, or Chrome for a test drive.

Of course, there is the ultimate fix to 90% of all computer problems.  Turn off everything, and reseat all of your network cables.  Power up and try again.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Mister Al

• Wee McKenzie
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
Thanks guys   agagagagag

I eventually solved the problem. I opened up one browser (IE6) and did this:

Tools/Internet Options/General/Temporary Internet Files/Delete files/ (a box pops up)'check' delete all offline content/click OK.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »
Clearing the cache - the next default step after powering down and reseating the cables.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
Meanwhile, do consider changing over to Firefox. They had to drag me over kicking and screaming, and it took a bit of getting used to, but I'm now a solid convert. Firefox really is better. I never use IE anymore unless I just have to.

Next, considering Linux and Open Office. I'm ready to kick $&#%#@$ Microsoft off my computer forever. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)