% of salary conversion to foreign currency

• 2 replies

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
% of salary conversion to foreign currency
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
Why do some (most?) Chinese uni contracts state a % of the salary the employee is able to convert into foreign currency? What does the employer care how much the employee converts? How can they enforce it?
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: % of salary conversion to foreign currency
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
Technically, Chinese money- the Yuan Renminbi- is still not internationally convertible and again technically can't be used outside of China. This is becoming something of a sham, but it's still the law.

Why do they care? When you convert RMB in China, you're exchanging them for a currency, such as the US Dollar ("Greenback"), the Australian Dollar ("Redback") or the Euro ("Brokeback") that can readily be transferred out of China...so therefore you are sending the wealth of the people out of the country.
This is considered "bad" in China, where they only like the hard currencies to be INbound.

Enforcement? Not much. The banks will exercise some control over international bank transfers, but not sure you'll have much problem unless you are sending out amounts large enough to be worth the trouble of looking up your records on a computer.
You can completely evade this enforcement by using a black marketeer currency exchange consultant to exchange your money, and either using Western Union for some of the transfers or physically smuggling the cash out yourself. This path is of course risky and recommended only for seasoned China veterans...but personally I almost never used official routes for currency exchange once I'd been there a while.

I never really had enough money to challenge the official limits. ananananan
Indeed, for most teachers this is a bit of bureaucratic kerfuffle that has meaning only to the Chinese. If you're not sending out tons of money, don't worry about all this.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: % of salary conversion to foreign currency
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
Just send all your RMB to me and I'll convert it to something else.
Like some very expensive baijiu for my collection.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com