getting internet while traveling?

• 9 replies

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
getting internet while traveling?
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:33:20 PM »
I just got a new laptop....   agagagagag

Now I need to be able to get online Anyplace I wish.....
places that don't have wireless or a hardline connection.

What is the recommended way to do this in China?
By mobile phone?
Satalite?
Waving my hand over the computer & clicking my knees together three times..?

My laptop has many options built in....
but I stay dumb   bibibibibi
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Re: getting internet while traveling?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
You can do it over your mobile phone. You just need to open that connection at the office of China Mobile or whatever you are using.

A lot of places have internet cafes. You can try going there and connecting to the network - I've seen people doing it (in order to work on their own computer online). You just pay normal hourly rate of the Internet cafe.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
Yup. Mobile phones (cellular modems) are the way to go. You can arrange this service via any local mobile phone office, and cell modems can easily be bought in computer stores. It works pretty well, but there are areas with signal problems. This is especially true on moving trains, where you will likely lose signal from time to time.

I don't think satellite internet is exactly encouraged here. It makes it too hard to keep you safe from bad lie. vvvvvvvvvv

Do you know about 163? You can access the internet from anywhere in China via a phone jack and a standard modem. It's a little slow and pricy, but it works and I use it while traveling myself sometimes. You can also often buy IP cards that provide a number for relatively inexpensive phone-based internet access via a phone line. These things don't work on trains, of course, but they're dandy in hotel rooms and friends' apartments and so on.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

DaDan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:12:59 AM »
well......
youz twoz be right :)

turns out....
it may be true that any phone company may be able to get you online, as well as most computer shops being able to sell you what is needed.....
but  asasasasas

the English version of Windows Vista, even wit Chinese language installed,
does Not read many of the programs driving those devices sold at the pc shops...

Also... most will give you a card that is best used in the province you buy it in, outside said province will cost more & then a new card will be needed once empty.

Best to go to China Unicom;
For 1600RMB you get the usb modem thingy & 1600 hours of use  agagagagag
they give you two options, both good Anyplace in China...
one is 100rmb a month with 60 hours per...
one is 200rmb a month with 200 hours per....
spread out over as much time as the 1600 lasts.

I went to Lenovo...
they had goods for 700rmb, you get the modem thing & a card with 250 minutes...
600rmb for only the modem & extra cards are 100rmb per 250 hours :)
BUT.....
the cards are for each province, outside the cost is quite higher per hour.

So Unicom has the best offer to be had in this small city as far south as one can go in China,
prolly a few cities, both the pc shop guys & the Lonevo guys said to go there for cards / hours ;)

me pappy sayd... 

old34

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:23:13 AM »
Depending on your mobile phone model, you can just use the phone itself as a modem. The disk that comes with higher level Sony and Nokia phones will install the necessary modem drivers on your 'puter and you can connect through their software. (Sony-Ericsson PC Suite and Nokia PC Suite, respectively.) You'll need the Phone-US adaptor. Or with some phones you can connect by Infrared if you have it on your computer. My SE 550C will do this, but my Nokia N73 won't.

Cost an be expensive especially when traveling. However, I'm the wrong guy to ask. Why? Well, I don't know how this happened or why it happened, but I have had the same cell number for almost 6 years. About two years ago, I was suddenly granted VIP status. Still not sure how it happened, all the messages about this were in Chinese and what the benefits were, were like-wise in Chinese. I was first given a VIP card and later a new VIP SIM card. There are a few benefits I am aware of (such as I can use the China Mobile VIP Lounge at the airport and there are some China Mobile VIP lounges around town where I can run in, add money to the phone, recharge the battery, have free coffee or tea, etc.) But here's the best part - since I became a "VIP" (in their mind) every month my phone bill comes I get the itemized charges, for a total of, say 500 then I get a "discount" of say, 300 so my total bill is 200. It took me awhile to figure out that the discount every month exactly matches the charges for GPS and for Internet modem service. In effect, I get free use of my phone as a modem. It's the same thing every month. The discount equals the amount of online charges. It's been this way for about 2 years. None of my Chinese friends use their phones as modems so they're not sure what's happening, but they translate the charges and that's what it is. I (we) don't want to ask. The only spanner in this is that the total charges accrue through the month, so you need to keep the money on the phone topped up. The discount is taken off on the date of billing (usually the 5th or 6th day after the end of the month). Anyway, if you've had your number for a long time, look into the VIP service. As I said, I don't know how it happened or how I qualified, it just happened one day and I've been happily interneting through my phone and laptop ever since. For free.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
Neat, Old!  However, I won't be around China that long as there is too much of the world left to experience before I put myself out to pasture with the other 'geezers'.  One to two years per country is the best that I can do.

While travelling, I try to book hotels on-line that have Internet available in the room, usually for free.  At worst, a business centre in the hotel with one or two connections for Internet.  I have also used Internet bars.  Once in a while, I find a wireless link that someone hasn't password protected and get more free time.  I do like the idea of using the cell phone, but I doubt that I will go that route as I really don't mind not connecting when travelling and taking advantage of bazillions of photo opportunities.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

DaDan

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:09:11 PM »
I'm in the back seat of a car now, halfway treen Haikou & Sanya :)

The connection seems clear, a little not fast but....
I'm here writing this  agagagagag

I can Also use the modem thingy the same as a mobile phone, just plug in the mic & headphone that came with & dial on me bkeyboard  bfbfbfbfbf

best part...
I can use this mobile for girls dat know no English, text messeges... I'm able to copy n paste straight from the phone messege to an online translator  uuuuuuuuuu

& I'm not sure How I'll be able to use the alloted 7 hours a day...
me pappy sayd... 

DaDan

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
I'm on a bus going from Zhuhai to Guangzhou now...

`the net Still be working fo me...
agagagagag

but.... kina hard wit a moving, bouncing keypad
me pappy sayd... 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »

but.... kina hard wit a moving, bouncing keypad[/center]

3 words DaDan - Voice recognition software

laura579

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »
What about cell phones?  My friend over there has a cell phone that I can call from Canada and it very clear.  Does anybody have a cell with world calling and what is the price for this kind of phone?  We can get them here in Canada but they are around $400 which is crazy.  I purchased one in the states for $50.00 pre-paid cell only to find out it doesn't have anything that it advertised, I can't even access Canada from the US little alone China.   llllllllll

Thanks,
Laura   agagagagag