If you were me?

• 86 replies

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
If you were me?
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:02:29 AM »
After experiencing first hand how contracts, promises, and assurances can mean little once you arrive, I am extremely hesitant to believe anything offered by a school (or recruiter), and I have no intention of commiting to anything until I arrive and personally inspect the situation.  Therefore, my plan is to narrow down my job search to three or four cities and potential jobs in those cities.  Then I will take a vacation of sorts to China in September and interview the various schools in those areas. 

If I had it all to do over again, this is how I would have done it here (in Korea).  But China is not Korea so I am probably overlooking or completely ignorant of something.

I've heard that most of the good jobs at public schools, universities, and reputable buxibans will be taken by then.  Is that true?

The most attractive destinations that I am considering thus far are Suzhou, Hangzhou, Qingdao, and Haikou.  Any other suggestions?  China is so big and overwhelming that it is extremely difficult to narrow it down.  The only deal-breaker criteria for me at this point are air quality and size of the expat community.  I am open to and appreciate any first-hand recommendations

Are there any dress code guidlines for teaching different ages and for different types of schools? I hate wearing a tie, especially if it is hot and humid.

I have tons of questions but I noticed how long this post is getting so I will practice some humility and let it go with this for now.  Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: If you were me?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:33:21 AM »
Hey Bam,

Welcome to the Saloon!

You've been told right. The peak hiring season is June and July; most schools will be wanting you to arrive by late August/early September. There will still be some jobs in September, but most of the cream will long since be skimmed.

You've chosen nice cities. Heard mixed opinions of Haikou; the really nice part of Hainan is more down around Sanya.
All of those cities, especially the last 3, are extremely popular and have considerable competition for jobs. Earlier birds will definitely get better worms.
I'm in Suzhou...great place, but most of the private schools here are real slime pits. Be very careful; happy to consult before you come if you'd like.

Other options...Dalian, Nanjing, Wuxi, Xiamen, Shanghai are nice places.
Don't get your hopes up too high on air quality. Most places are at best "bad" by Western standards. Cities right on the coast (Dalian, Qingdao, Xiamen, etc.) might be slightly better.

Most schools don't have dress codes. Sure, they love it if you wear a tie, but most won't make a case of it if you don't. Corporate jobs are most likely to require a tie. Some schools do require it, so be sure to check. EF used to require ties in some places- not sure if they still do, but you don't want to work for them anyway.

Sounds like you got a good eye-opening in Korea. China is the same bqbqbqbqbq with different flies on it, I'm afraid. 'Cept Korea pays better.

If ya got more questions, bring 'em on!  bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  You've given me more cities to consider and research schools in. 

Missi, do I have to sign a binding work contract with a school before entering China in order to come in on a resident visa as opposed to a tourist visa?  If so, the trip to Hong Kong doesn't sound so bad.

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive listing of Chinese public schools by location and hopefully with some type of contact info?  Private and chain schools are easier to find and contact, but they are not my primary target.

Raoul, you said that most of private schools in Suzhou are real slime pits.  Which ones aren't?  I read your review of Web and I can see the good and the bad of it, but it might not be a bad place to start out at with a six month contract or so as I get my footing in China.

Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
A comprehensive list of public schools?  If you find one, Bambam, please post the link here for the rest of us.

I have to agree with Raoul on the visa question.  You do NOT want to be inked into a job before you've seen what's what with your own eyes.  Putting money by contingent on a Hong Kong run would be a better tack; but if you have to do this, it means by definition you have a job. Why isn't your school footing the bill for the trip?

Yes, most school jobs are long gone by September; there will be the odd position that opens up at the last minute, though, and the school will be desperate.  I scored a great job once for this very reason, so keep your eyes open when the time comes.

Training centres can be deeply treacherous places... but then again, at least half of us work for them.  Their advantages are that they hire year round; they tend to provide more lesson material than a school job, and therefore demand less preparation; and the students are usually motivated to learn.  The disadvantages are that you will probably have to work weekends, when your students are free from work/school; there is generally a high student turnover (their jobs come first); and the centres generally want you to work a very long week, 25+ hours.

I'd recommend opening a dialogue with as many training centres as you can, negotiating rightup to the day you fly out.  Have a plan B, C and D- if a centre finds someone they fancy more at the last minute, they drop you without a scruple.  Plus, as I said,you need to see things with your own eyes before committing.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:04:09 PM »
All major schools in China could be found on google - those that run English programs and hire foreign teachers. Smaller schools won't be even mentioned on Chinese sites - there are just way too many! A lot of agents hire foreign teachers to work for regular primary schools. Salary is not bad. But usually no benefits - just pure rate per class. Normally you'd be teaching in 2-4 schools a week and it requires a bit of travel. I know one agent who gets more or less ok deals in Beijing (120-130RMB an hour + transportation fee; you get paid on your bank card at the end of every month and it is one of the few agents I know who is trustworthy). I knew one in Harbin but I lost touch with her. Speaking of which I should find out where she is now and what she is up to hmmm.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »
Ok, sorry for a tiny hijack. I just got a reply from that lady in Harbin. Thanks for inspiring me to try and make a contact with her again!  agagagagag

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:34:08 PM »
A comprehensive list of Chinese schools ca be found on Wikipedia.Wikipedia is once again blocked in the PRC but it can be accessed through Anonymouse.

babala

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:09:39 PM »
Hey BamBam,
           Someone mentioned Yiwu but I work with a teacher who just came from there and he had nothing good to say about it. If you come to Zhejiang, if you don't come on Z visa you will have to do the Hong Kong run.

As for Web, I have been working for them for over 3 1/2 years now. Raoul's post was very accurate. I am Head Teacher at a Web in Taizhou, Zhejiang. If you are interested in Web, you are welcome to send me a resume ttbmurphy@hotmail.com or if you want to work at a Web in a different city, I know teachers in the Wuxi, Chengdu, Changzhou and Xiamen centers.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »
Thanks babala. If I decide that Web is the way I want to go, I will send my resume to you and of course ask a few more questions.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:10:20 AM »
I would also echo second thoughts about Yiwu. So-so at best.

You are being very smart in avoiding the chain schools! I'm glad to see that...

Suzhou schools...hmm...
GEM is under new management and seems to be acceptable. There's a New Oriental school here that looks promising, but they don't seem to have much in the way of full-time work. Shane (WARNING: CHILDREN!) got rid of Mr. Ma and may be at least worth a look.
Web teeters on the edge. The more I gather about them the less I like them. You could certainly do a lot worse, but you could also possibly do a lot better. I don't really endorse this company...I just don't NOT endorse them.

The rest here (that I have knowledge of) ain't nothin' but a bunch of mangy dogs.
You do have to be quite careful in Suzhou. It's extremely hard to get licensure to issue residence permits here, and a lot of squalid little companies will try to suck you in anyway. A number of them will outright lie about their ability to obtain a residence permit for you; I have seen this first-hand. Do be careful.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »
I just want to add that Web is a chain school. There are good ones and bad ones. If you choose to go to any chain school, make sure you find out the info about that specific centre.

My friend used to work at the GEM in Suzhou and she always spoke very well about them but mind you that was at least 2 or 3 years when she was there.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:52:11 AM »
As far as I am concerned, Yiwu is a business city. Tons of factories and companies offices are located there and it is like urban-industrial zone. You'd be a bit too bored there. Yes, there will be some foreigners but a lot of them are just passing through or coming on short business trips.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:53:01 AM »
Why not Qingdao? Actually, Korean community is pretty big there - about 50,000 or more. And it is by the seaside and you can take a 19 hours boat from Korea to Qingdao if you wish so.

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:13:03 AM »
More questions. 

Is it true that air conditioning is rare in Chinese classrooms?  This doesn't sound very appealing when the heat and himidity are stifling.

How about Cheese?  I love cheese.  Cheese, or good cheese anyway, is extremely hard to find here in Korea, but I have found imported cheese at a premium, and I am willing to pay more and even travel to procure it.

Thanks again.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:17:18 AM »
Yeah, we gots cheese. Maybe not your favourite stinky, mouldy, bacteria-laced cheese, but normal cheese for normal persons.
No, we usually don't gots air-con in classrooms! They cost money and interfere with the bottom line!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/