Free ESL Teacher Training e-books - Download details

• 16 replies
Free ESL Teacher Training e-books - Download details
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:30 AM »
This is a message from abusalam in response to your download request of free TESL e-books.
Here is the download and access information.

Server Access Data
1. Download links

OUP books:
http://www.gelber-kaiser.de/TESL/Downloads/TESL_WiddowsonEtAl.exe

(4.79 MB)

Beaugrande "Friendly English Grammar":

http://www.gelber-kaiser/TESL/Downloads/Beaugr_FriendlyEnglGrammar-V2-Install.exe

(31.14 MB)

Other Beaugrande books and articles:
http://www.gelber-kaiser.de/TESL/Downloads/Beaugrande_LinguisticCourseFiles_Install.exe

(32.12 MB)

2. Access Data

User ID:         sperling2007
Password:      TESL2007

Instructions:
1. Click download links of the files you want to download. A window with two empty lines will pop up. In the first empty line, enter User ID as provided above. Do the same for the password in the second empty line of the window. Files should download now.
2. Some files are quite large in size. Therefore, a fast speed internet connection or at least use of a download manager software would be an advantage.
3. Upon succesful completion of download, install. For this, just follow screen instructions. Keep download files in a safe place for later reference or use.
4. The material is licensed for free use and distribution. Please be fair and make only good and responsible use of it.
5. Please keep all server access data strictly confidential for internet security reasons. It helps to maintain this service free of charge for other people interested in it.

REMINDER
Sometimes, the quality of the PDF files is far from perfect. This is due to technical conversion problems that I am not responsible for. The advice I can give here is to visit Dr. Beaugrande's site directly at:
http://www.beaugrande.com for alternative downloads and updates that may be of interest to you.

None of us has the intention of marketing or selling anything over here. We simply believe that even good education should be free and that everybody qualified should be given a fair chance in his/her educational pursuits. Parts of the materials available for download was generously donated by Dr. Beaugrande and sent to us on a CD-ROM for use by our school project.

Please feel free to ask any further questions if you like.
Now, I/we hope that you enjoy the material and that it may be of some use to you.

All the best - wherever you are!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Free ESL Teacher Training e-books - Download details
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:16:54 AM »
Thanks. There was a download request?  mmmmmmmmmm

Actually, some of this looks possibly OK...the grammar one especially.

Be warned that if you click the links above, once past the password you'll immediately start downloading. They're big ol' files.

Also, the 'gelber-kaiser' page linked here is operated by a religious organization that sells Bachelors and Masters "degrees in Christian education" in TEFL. However, you can do a straight download from the links presented and not see any of that stuff.
In addition, the links will download an executable file directly onto yor computer. Make sure and always scan ANY .exe for viruses etc.!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:20:24 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »
Raoul,

the text is from a standard reply form. Up to now, I only had a private message in this forum with a request for access. This is why I decided to post the information here.

It is true that the download files are on a school server of a religious organisation. But I want to make it explicitly clear that there is no intention whatsoever to "market" any of the services that this organisation offers here in this forum.

Anyway, please check out the material and if you find that there is some "marketing", I will delete the post. Thanks.

moon over parma

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »

Anyway, please check out the material and if you find that there is some "marketing", I will delete the post. Thanks.

What's up with this :
User ID:         sperling2007

???????????????????????

ESL Cafe affiliate, are you?

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »
ESL Cafe affiliate, are you
Where do you think we get our members from?  We save lost souls!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

moon over parma

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »

I'm not talking about refugees, George! You can count me as a refugee. I've had my fill of the cafe. However, I'm talking about insiders.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:32:23 PM »
Hmmmmm. I see what you mean.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:47 PM »
Oh this sounds like fun.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 06:46:43 AM »

I have simply written this somewhat lengthy text and posted it in the ESL cafe of Mr. Sperling. And since I am bit lazy and do not have so much time, I have posted it here for forum members, too...smile....And on "lost souls"...I have not been "lost...smile...

I'm not talking about refugees, George! You can count me as a refugee. I've had my fill of the cafe. However, I'm talking about insiders.

I am not a "refugee"; I am still a forum member there, too. It is quite a good with a lot of helpful information...as it is here, I assume.
I am in my end-fifties now, and I have been an "expatriate" (i.e., working abroad in the teaching field, mostly University/college lecturer/professor) all my life. In some cases, In some cases, I have experienced the somewhat sad situation that other expatriates at the same place or working at the same school did not associate with other colleagues. In other cases, we have had a lot of fun among ourselves like gathering in a pub on Thursday evening, singing old pop-songs - together with students from our school. Being an expatriate in isolation can sometimes be very painful in various respects. I appreiate the community, the exchange of experiences and opinions, communication, and receiving and giving a little help here and there, too.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »
Yeah, Moon...it's most likely that the Spoon was simply the first place where the links to the resources were posted; hence the password. I'll admit to being a bit puzzled overall, but I don't think Abusalam is a mole for Dave.

Abu, a lot of folks here are not exactly fans of the ESL Cafe (aka "The Greasy Spoon" or "Chez Fasciste"). Some good things have happened there, especially a bit further in the past, but the problems have come to outweigh the benefits.

The China forums have a pretty poor track record over the last years...awful management, people being banned for mentioning any other site or asking questions about why some guy has been allowed to absolutely run amok on the forum for the last 5 days, poor reception of China newbies by much of the membership, and so on.

It's also stunningly commercial. It's become the personal bitch of the advertisers. It's not that we really mind Dave making an honest buck or two to keep himself in bad haircuts and knobbly sweaters, but making a buck seems to have overthrown any remaining pretense of looking out for the interests of the teachers they claim to serve.
It's gone from being a potential solution, to being part of the problem.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

moon over parma

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »
Yeah, Moon...it's most likely that the Spoon was simply the first place where the links to the resources were posted; hence the password. I'll admit to being a bit puzzled overall, but I don't think Abusalam is a mole for Dave.

That's plausable. Abu. hasn't posted any other Cafe-esque links, so I stand corrected and I'm sorry if anyone's feelings were hurt.

The China forums have a pretty poor track record over the last years...awful management, people being banned for mentioning any other site or asking questions about why some guy has been allowed to absolutely run amok on the forum for the last 5 days, poor reception of China newbies by much of the membership, and so on.

This applies to their Korea and Taiwan forums as well.

Then there's the fact Dave's asks for more personal information: name, address, phone number, etc. BEFORE approving registration. It's kind of dubious. For many nations and territories on the ESL circuit it's the only big resource, too, so it makes it a quasi-neccessary evil for many who want to interact with a vast number of experienced teachers. Sadly, many of the forums just resemble a haven for a vast number of highly experienced, condescending goons.

I now answer posters directly through PM on there. I know what it's like to want information and to only get 100 posts of crap there, or to have legitimate posts yanked for no reason and only receiving threats of a ban when I ask what I did wrong so I can never do it again. Insane behavior. I mean, if I made a mistake that I didn't know about - which could very well be possible over there - I'd like to learn from it so as to not repeat it. No chance of that happening on the Cafe. They don't have 'mods' there. They have "guards." Absolutely no moderation exists there. Just punishment and pruning.

It's also stunningly commercial. It's become the personal bitch of the advertisers. It's not that we really mind Dave making an honest buck or two to keep himself in bad haircuts and knobbly sweaters,

or bad Richard Marcinko-like beards and having 1975-era Donny Osmond/Tiger Beat photos welcoming us to the main page. bibibibibi

but making a buck seems to have overthrown any remaining pretense of looking out for the interests of the teachers they claim to serve.

I'd add that there is no productive moderation there either. They tell you to contact mods if there's an issue, but you do - most pass the buck off as "well it was another mod who made that decision so I can't speak for them." You ask them who it was so you can adress it personally, and they send you a warning about questioning their powers and you may get banned.

Sounds real communist-y to me. Meanwhile blatant trolls with a seriously questionable racist streak continue to post there with seeming impunity for years on end (especially in the Korea and China forums). llllllllll

I agree.

I read there. I PM there. I no longer post there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:19:54 PM by moon over parma »

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 10:54:26 PM »

That's plausable. Abu. hasn't posted any other Cafe-esque links, so I stand corrected and I'm sorry if anyone's feelings were hurt.

This applies to their Korea and Taiwan forums as well.

Then there's the fact Dave's asks for more personal information: name, address, phone number, etc. BEFORE approving registration. It's kind of dubious. For many nations and territories on the ESL circuit it's the only big resource, too, so it makes it a quasi-neccessary evil for many who want to interact with a vast number of experienced teachers. Sadly, many of the forums just resemble a haven for a vast number of highly experienced, condescending goons.

I now answer posters directly through PM on there. I know what it's like to want information and to only get 100 posts of crap there, or to have legitimate posts yanked for no reason and only receiving threats of a ban when I ask what I did wrong so I can never do it again. Insane behavior. I mean, if I made a mistake that I didn't know about - which could very well be possible over there - I'd like to learn from it so as to not repeat it. No chance of that happening on the Cafe. They don't have 'mods' there. They have "guards." Absolutely no moderation exists there. Just punishment and pruning.

It's also stunningly commercial. It's become the personal bitch of the advertisers. It's not that we really mind Dave making an honest buck or two to keep himself in bad haircuts and knobbly sweaters,

or bad Richard Marcinko-like beards and having 1975-era Donny Osmond/Tiger Beat photos welcoming us to the main page. bibibibibi

but making a buck seems to have overthrown any remaining pretense of looking out for the interests of the teachers they claim to serve.

I'd add that there is no productive moderation there either. They tell you to contact mods if there's an issue, but you do - most pass the buck off as "well it was another mod who made that decision so I can't speak for them." You ask them who it was so you can adress it personally, and they send you a warning about questioning their powers and you may get banned.

Sounds real communist-y to me. Meanwhile blatant trolls with a seriously questionable racist streak continue to post there with seeming impunity for years on end (especially in the Korea and China forums). llllllllll

I agree.

I read there. I PM there. I no longer post there.

Moon,
I do not feel offended in any way in your asking a critical question. It is OK. And yes, I agree to have a place that is supposed to be non-commercial is also something to value. After all, it should be in the interests of FTs working in China under miserable conditions more than often. And since free trade unions are still something you can dream of in China, we need forums like this. 
There is another place at http://www.eslteachersboard.com/- it does not seem to be moderated, and it is somewhat strange to see how peoople there keep fighting and ranting over all kinds of things. Such things are not really helpful, and just being reasonable and fair towards other people keeps us going in good manner.
Have a great day...and have the sun and moon shining over not only over Parma but also places like Beijing, Wuhan, Shanghai....smile.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
Thanks, guys, for following the path of peace.  bfbfbfbfbf

I used to be fairly active on ESLTB. It's a pretty strange place indeed but had its moments. However, I came on one day to find that, under pressure from the school, they'd expunged a prominent negative review along with all references to it. The review was posted by a friend of mine; I knew it to be true and a story that needed telling. And now it was gone.

I kinda figured "What's the point?" at that time; I haven't posted there since then and I've removed their official link from our pages.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
Sooner or later, every barfly wishes aloud that we could get by without mentioning the Spoon at all.

Never gonna happen.  eslcafe.com is an integral part of the China experience for those who come over.  It is a great repository of teaching ideas and other info.

It's also a cynical propaganda whore for the crooked schools of China.  Someone's gotta throw the poor green newbies the odd lifeline.  Falls to us.

I wonder how Sperling rationalizes all this?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 12:39:12 AM »
Sit down sometime and figure up how much cash The Spoon generates...job listings, banner ads, speaking engagements, and more.
A fat bankbook can rationalize all kinds of weasel behavior...at least it can for too many people. alalalalal