Torrent download sites

• 28 replies

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
Re: Torrent download sites
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good e-book download site.  I'd like to see what my favourite authors have been up to since I left home.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
 OK...so I finally got wise to the wonders of Bit Torrents. A friend told me about BT a long time ago but I could never figure it out.

Anyways, I'm good to go know except for one little problem. A lot of the sites I want to use don't accept free web based e-mail accounts. How to access these sites without paying for a new e-mail account?

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
www.fastmail.fm

That usually passes for a paid account

If it doesn't work with their fastmail.fm tag, try again with a different one (fastmail have a number of different ones, e.g. contemporarydog@xyzmail.com, contemporarydog@fishmail.com etc)

I have used their site to sign up to a few sites that won't accept your usual email accounts
It is too early to say.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

Hola!

I have found torrents to be a real pain, and rarely use them. The reason being that for me about 80% of the time it does not work. The content is somewhat lacking, and if there is a movie I want to see, I can usually find it in a DVD shop. I like to watch TV shows and when I shop for DVDs, I look for these first. Problem is that there are almost no old series, and the stuff that they have I have already seen or don't want to see, but sometimes there are some real gems, for instance, every episode of MASH that I paid about 30 RMB for. It's hard to find old shows like that in the shops and almost impossible to find on Bit Comment or P2P (Limewire etc.)

I rarely even go to the DVd shops anymore because I can find my content online through various websites and search engines.

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showtopic=50956-This is a forum of things to find. This is my bookmark for Law and Order SVU.

www.tudou.com has a lot of stuff. Last night I watched about three hours of the Sopranos.

www.tom365.com- A Chinese movie website with all kind of good films about 1/2 of them American/foreign. They do update with newer films when they come out.

Senor

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
I have 3 supertorrents.org invites if anyone is interested.

Also have 1 invite to thebox.bz, which is devoted to caps of UK tv shows.

First in best dressed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:27:11 PM by Skygod »

fox

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »
I have 3 supertorrents.org invites if anyone is interested.

Also have 1 invite to thebox.bz, which is devoted to caps of UK tv shows.

First in best dressed.

Im very well dressed.  can i have an invite to both please???
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 05:13:59 PM »

Still waiting on Hainan Air to deliver my luggage so I'm fully undressed which i guess makes me best dressed :p can i have one please?
 agagagagag

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 06:49:36 PM »
I am wearing a suit, with a pair of cufflinks that matches my tie and a fedora. Can I have an invitation, please?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »
All I can say is that the invites would be greatly appreciated. bjbjbjbjbj
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

fox

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
i think skygod has ascended.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »

Meaning you did or did not receive an invite?

Inbox is empty, here.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:15 PM »
OK - philosophy time. Skip past this if you can't be arsed.

Before downloading I got plenty of free music, movies etc. I borrowed from friends and copied what I liked. I also made copies for friends of things I thought might interest them. And my friends reciprocated, of course. It was cool in two ways - it was a fun part of friendship which generated many interesting chats, plus I benefited from their tastes and discoveries.

Now we don't do that so much. We mostly just sit at home downloading huge quantities of stuff, much of which turns out to be disappointing.

Add to that the old argument that free downloading deprives the rising generation of talent of an income meaning they never get to fulfil their potential (sharing within a social group, at least somebody had bought the thing), and I'm wondering whether the closing of another torrent site is really bad news.

On the other hand, I hope I never again have to pay £10/$20 (yes, that's a typical UK/European price) for a CD/official whole-album download. If the entertainment industry really wants to reduce free downloading, IMHO they'll have to aim at selling in greater volume for much lower unit prices.

And I'm talking about the international scene, of course. In terms of traditional media piracy, I reckon China will continue to be a special case for a long time to come.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:58:07 PM by Foscolo »
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

fox

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »

Meaning you did or did not receive an invite?

Inbox is empty, here.

yeah, no invite.   ananananan

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »
Fox, what's your movie fix leaning towards? If you're into genre stuff I can send you some links that are direct download set-ups, not the BT stuff. It's esoteric though. Not mainstream, though not all of it is pure esoterica*.

I usually don't go and brag about invites publicly and then not deliver on them. That's what I hate about the torrent scene. Clandestine "invites" and other silliness. Too bad the pirate bay's blocked here. Anyway, there's a growing disenfranchisement with the clandestine side of bit torrent and there are people using alternate methods that cut out the, "share or die" philosophy and embrace the "share and share alike" philosophy. They do the direct download thing. A person puts it up and then others can take it as they see fit. It's actually closer to what FOS was musing about: sharing with mates and that kind of thing.

I also don't get into the mainstream whore shit. By that, I mean people who go online to grab any music or movie or whatever that they can easily rent, purchase or borrow (libraries still exist!) in their respective town or city or village; and in China a lot of Hollywood crap is available in DVD shops and only the most isolated or the cheapest of cheapskates would spend three days downloading a film they can get in superior quality for 5RMB or so.

I rely on the internet swaps to get stuff I will not find in China, and despite having all manner of esoteric finds in the best of its pirate DVD shops there are still a multitude of films and television programs I will never find here**. I simply can't stomach the majority of what Hollywood cranks out.

Sometimes those invite-only portals offer an avenue to find such things, but I'm discovering a world of direct-downloads that really fill the niche, and they are not "by invite only," though you do have to register to browse them. Send me a private message if you are interested in some of those links if you are looking for non-mainstream, outside Hollywood film and television entertainment. No invitation necessary. Simply a reliable internet connection, winrar, and some patience.

Boss or Noles might want to move this post upstairs if it's, you know: going to get some unnecessary attention. If you do, I understand why.

* for example: Monty Python and other reputable, but hardly mainstream entertainment.

**Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, anyone?
Haruki Murakami