What does a foreign teacher do?

• 7 replies
What does a foreign teacher do?
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
In the olden days, there were "foreign experts". They arrived in the kingdom dripping with gleaming pearls of wisdom, which, in exchange for small numbers of red flags and the virtuous attentions of youthful maidens, were whipped away to be re-engineered in factories and turned into larger collections of red flags.

These days, all the pearls are gone and what's an expert left to do? What does s/he actually do in a classroom that a Chinese teacher doesn't? Is there even anything s/he should do differently any more?

What does a foreign teacher do, and would it be worth a salary increase?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What does a foreign teacher do?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
Have you tried demonstrating the fine art of yodeling? ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
We use the correct pronunciation when yodeling.  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
Calach, I reckon it might be a good idea to teach them the swear words of different English speaking countries. bfbfbfbfbf I have noticed that the type and amount of swearing seems to be on the increase in a lot of the movies I see. bibibibibi

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »
"International teaching methods".

1. Bellow the English
2. Get angry.
3. Get even.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
How about I put it this way:

As the years go by, do you want anyone to pay attention to how your teaching changes and develops?

Is there any particular standard that *should* apply?

CWL

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »
That is admin's job.  However, most admin don't realize it.  Worst of all, most admin couldn't teach if their life depended on it.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
Yes, whoever is the supervisor/dean/administrator, it's their job. And generally speaking, they don't do it. If they do provide feedback, it'll be vague or weird - "you can smile more," "you should show them your concerning", etc - and essentially unrelated to actual teaching standards.

Kind of guarantees that "foreign experts" are always and forevermore naught but independent contractors. That may be the nature of the work, but it does mean we're not real staff. Performance bonuses, professional development... promotion - can't meaningfully happen. Which I think probably suits a lot of people on both sides. But it does make staying on for a long time feel like a mistake.