Marriage Question

• 16 replies
Marriage Question
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
Hi, I've been through the marriage threads and couldn't find an answer to this specific question. I think that some of the folks on here have direct experience of this, if so, please fill me in...

My wife and I were married in Ireland. Now that we are returning to the PRC, what exactly do we need to do to register our marriage over there?

What do we need to bring? Will our (obviously, translated by Chinese a notary) wedding certs be enough?

Is it even necessary to register the marriage?

All answers very welcome...  agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

George

• My view of China
Re: Marriage Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
We were married in Australia, and haven't bothered to register the marriage in China.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
@George: and there's been no disadvantages to this?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
If we were staying in China and I was looking for a spouse visa, I would probably have to register. Otherwise, I see no reason.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
Hi, I've been through the marriage threads and couldn't find an answer to this specific question. I think that some of the folks on here have direct experience of this, if so, please fill me in...

My wife and I were married in Ireland. Now that we are returning to the PRC, what exactly do we need to do to register our marriage over there?

What do we need to bring? Will our (obviously, translated by Chinese a notary) wedding certs be enough?

Is it even necessary to register the marriage?

All answers very welcome...  agagagagag

Is your wife Chinese .... I am assuming yes.

I wouldn't register it in China .... almost no need to.  What kind of passport is she own?  Do you plan to have kids that will be born in China?
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Fozzie, I don't think it's required to register your marriage in China. If you were going to try for a Spouse visa, some kind of social benefits (such as they are in China... bibibibibi ) or so on, then you might have to at least show a marriage certificate...but otherwise I don't think you need to register anything.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies,

yes, my wife is Chinese. We have no idea as to whether we want kids in China yet, I suppose I figured it would be a good idea to do this just to prepare for all eventualities (e.g. I get the boot from my school and need an emergency visa!).

Do we reckon that all I'd need to register is my marriage certificate and a passport?

I'll have to get my mammy in law to do some sniffing around before I head back. When I know, I'll update this post with exact details.

bfbfbfbfbf
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
One thing your wife may need to do is change her marital status on her hukou to married rather than single. Otherwise I don't think there's any need to go through the Chinese registration process. Getting your marriage certificate translated into Chinese and the translation notarized should be enough for visa purposes. Having a marriage registered in China or not won't affect your future kids one way or the other. They can still get your citizenship or her citizenship (one or the other) no matter where you got married. In fact, if you plan on getting them your Irish citizenship then having a Irish marriage certificate when you apply for it could only help things, not hurt.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
I do know that legally, marriages are legally binding in both countries, so married in one, married in both.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
One thing your wife may need to do is change her marital status on her hukou to married rather than single. Otherwise I don't think there's any need to go through the Chinese registration process. Getting your marriage certificate translated into Chinese and the translation notarized should be enough for visa purposes. Having a marriage registered in China or not won't affect your future kids one way or the other. They can still get your citizenship or her citizenship (one or the other) no matter where you got married. In fact, if you plan on getting them your Irish citizenship then having a Irish marriage certificate when you apply for it could only help things, not hurt.

thanks LD and Mr. Nobody,

good info
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:01 PM »
I do know that legally, marriages are legally binding in both countries, so married in one, married in both.

Does that include the 3 extra wives I picked up in the Middle East?  ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:51:01 AM »
Nope.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
Does that include the 3 extra wives I picked up in the Middle East?  ahahahahah

No. You have to say "I divorce thee." nine times.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:41:20 PM »
EL never said they were his wives
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:27 AM »
Stay on topic, knuckleheads. akakakakak
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)