Art Exhibition

• 4 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Art Exhibition
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:56 PM »
Specially for Schnerby!

This was held in an old textile factory area that is being renovated to become an art space.

One of the exhibits - very large, and the head does a 360.  The tree trunk in it is partly petrified.  After this exhibition it is being packed up and sent to Germany for an exhibit there.

The artist - you can see it is a self portrait.  Cang Xin - and if you know me, you know I have a predilection for long-haired Mongolians!

There was a pit with dozens of these 'bodies' - human body with sheep horn heads!.  Visitors were asked to fill in the pit.  there was a bit of a problem because some of the locals were slipping into the pit to rescues the models to sell!!  He Xiangyu.

Yours truly doing my bit for art!

This one has been constructed by dehydrating Coca-Cola, molding it into the shape of a Terracotta Warrior and then smashing it to bits.  Behind it one of the photo exhibits by Mathieu Borysevicz can be seen. He Xiangyu again.

Another installation

The water wheel represents the textile district.  The 'flanges' of the wheel are 56 chopping knives each owned by a former worker from the area, and represent the 56 years the factory ran.  There are gold fish in the water, and the corner statues have been made by one of the artists in the studio area.  Wang Ningde.

The medium frame photographer who was creating another montage let me play.  Seeing everything upsidedown changes perspective!

After checking out the exhibits, we wandered through the studio areas.  3 different spaces catering to about 100 artists. At 8Y per m2 per month it is pretty cheap studio space and a number of artists also live there.  It has water, electricity, internet and toilets.

This is the silicone artist's studio.

Artists have to relax as well!

Different works

This one has been set up in gallery space - the exhibition in here will be open in a week or so

One area for drinks and nibbles overlooks a railway line, and has permanent displays.

Outdoor eating area for artists, locals and visitors.  Fish tank centrepiece!

Great place to hang out!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:14:00 PM by Lotus Eater »

Schnerby

Re: Art Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
Specially for Schnerby!

Thank you  akakakakak akakakakak

After checking out the exhibits, we wandered through the studio areas.  3 different spaces catering to about 100 artists. At 8Y per m2 per month it is pretty cheap studio space and a number of artists also live there.  It has water, electricity, internet and toilets.

That's fantastic! Afforable studio space is a wonderful thing. The Chinese art movement is really pushing art forwards in many ways so I am so encouraged to hear this.

I want a studio there now. ananananan I'm currently working in needlework, drawing and small sculpture (due to the need to move everything) so I wouldn't take up much space!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
Put off your return for another year, get a job at a nearby uni, rent this space and spend most of your time working and hanging out with the other artists!

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
Soooooo tempting. Seriously, it is.

ananananan

keinnon

• i/u
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:02 AM »
Very cool! Thanks for putting these photos up LE. I really enjoy seeing new works, especially those outside of the mainstream US/Europe artspace.
The love of truth lies at the root of much humor.
Robertson Davies