Losing patience with.....CHINA!

• 32 replies

A-Train

Re: Losing patience with.....CHINA!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Never had a job that paid so much money ... and any job I have had required my presence for a hell of a lot more hours.
Sorry, what was the problem again? Something about traffic?

...and I too have never made 30,000/month salary for 6 hours/week work in China.
Congratulations??? I'm wondering why you shared that with us. I said it to be clear that money was not a reason for me to complain.
I shouldn't have posted a number. It was tacky and it brought out a troll. I'd be surprised if anyone in the Saloon cared a great deal about money. They don't seem like that type of element.
BTW: It's six hours of lectures, not work. Big difference.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »
Well, there is lots of aspects of China that makes me grind my teeth and sometimes seek the escape of my quiet apartment and some good old fight-for-dominion-of-the-sock with the doggie, but my work sure is not one of them. I have 30 hours of lectures at my uni alone and I asked for it, not for the money but because I came here to work and I find those piddly 16 hours in the contract to be silly.
I felt somewhat burned out on China after 3 years too, mainly due to the city I was living in. Moving to a new, more modern/civilized/coffee-friendly city lifted my spirits. There is nothing you can do about the traffic, crowds or the problems they might have with the island nearby. So it is better to adopt a Taoist approach to those. It is much better for your blood pressure  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
30k for six hours? Congratulations. If they pay you that much then you deserve it.
Yes, traffic is structured mayhem. Yes, it is nice to have forums where we can vent our every frustration.
You all have a happy new year? I hope so.
Ciao,
 ababababab

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
Never had a job that paid so much money ... and any job I have had required my presence for a hell of a lot more hours.
Sorry, what was the problem again? Something about traffic?

...and I too have never made 30,000/month salary for 6 hours/week work in China.
Congratulations??? I'm wondering why you shared that with us. I said it to be clear that money was not a reason for me to complain.
I shouldn't have posted a number. It was tacky and it brought out a troll. I'd be surprised if anyone in the Saloon cared a great deal about money. They don't seem like that type of element.
BTW: It's six hours of lectures, not work. Big difference.

No. Your interpretation of xwarrior's comment on this is wrong. He's no troll, you might have noticed his post count is well over 1800. His comment was consistent with the kind of humour that's used in this saloon daily. He has added much to this community. Perhaps you mean I am the troll?

I sincerely hope you can get past your current China issues. I've seen this kind of thing many times at around the 3 year mark. Some people leave then, others stay and eventually get through it. Like some of the others, I also changed cities at this time.

You mention that you know there's a curve to feelings about China and are still waiting to get to the happy medium. It sounds as if you expected to be there already but while the timing is different for everyone I think how you are feeling now is very common for your time in. Hang in there and you'll get through it.

Good luck.

fox

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »
no reasons for that sort of reply A-train.  i now know what the 'A' stands for.  asasasasas

I hope your frustrations subside, and if not that you move on to an area you are happier in.

In the meantime if you want to vent, do so with a little care for others' feelings.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

A-Train

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »
"No. Your interpretation of xwarrior's comment on this is wrong."

Then my apologies to him. No, I don't know him and thought the worst for whatever reason.
Thanks for the support, it's helpful.

What was more helpful was a random walk I took downtown this afternoon. Wandered into a rare building that was open and when a resident saw me I tried to shuffle out, but he kept insisting upon something. I saw he was pointing to his camera and got the message. Followed him to a room where his whole family was dining on a New Year's Day feast. They spoke as much English as I do Chinese, but we all spoke "beer" and they kept it coming along with bizarre foods, cigarettes and good will accompanied by, of course, many pictures. It was a blast. Just what the doctor ordered. But I think I ate a bug.  A BIG one.

The happy hosts:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:13:38 PM by A-Train »
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
no reasons for that sort of reply A-train.  asasasasas

Which one?  Seriously.

Pearl S. Buck

xwarrior

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »
Dear A-Train

I am sorry if I was responsible for 'derailing' you on what can really  be a serious problem for anyone struggling to cope with life in China.

(I spent hours composing a well-reasoned response to your post, but after reading of your experience on New Year's Day I put it on hold)

I just hope that you can build on that experience and enjoy every day in China.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »
Seriously, A-train. I like you.

But...you know...you come into a community of assumed friends to blow off some steam...and we try and help you with that....and you get all PMS-y. Not cool.

I don't hold it against you. I assume your recent foul disposition is general and does not just extend to China.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with that. Your most recent post shows that you are well on your way.

Good luck! bfbfbfbfbf

A-Train

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
Seriously, A-train. I like you.

But...you know...you come into a community of assumed friends to blow off some steam...and we try and help you with that....and you get all PMS-y. Not cool.

Good luck! bfbfbfbfbf

Sorry. I only got snitty at xwarrior cuz I thought he was pissing on my post by inferring that good pay should sooth all problems. I was totally wrong. I wasn't shooting at anyone else. On the contrary, I think the responses were frank, thoughtful and helpful. And appreciated. I doubt I would make that mistake in person, but it's easy to make assumptions when just reading responses.

I'd like to hear his comments when he feels like posting them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:17:36 AM by A-Train »

Pearl S. Buck

babala

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
Hey A-Train, I'm going into my 12th year here. The bad times come and go. I had a bad patch around the 3 year mark. Like some others on here, I changed cities and my mood improved. I find it's very busy to get in ruts here. A move can sometimes force you out of that.

I have to travel to companies everyday and still grit my teeth at all the idiots on the road. I told off one of drivers the other day for playing cards on his phone while driving...and almost driving us into a wall (yes, a wall).

I just started swimming again. I love the pool I go to, almost no one there and a friend and I go together about 4 times a week. It gets me much needed exercise and I feel better in general just knowing I am doing it.

Another thing that makes me more cheerful is shopping on taobao. I am not someone who likes to shop normally but I love shopping in the confort of my own home. I have everything sent to my job and it also makes coming work more enjoyable as I feel like I get a present when I come in.

Here's my bitch for today. I went to a friend's house for Spring Festival and I baked some tarts and brought them a Terry's chocolate orange. Why is it that Chinese people expect us to love ALL Chinese food but act like we are feeding them poison when we offer them anything western llllllllll

I am an awesome baker BTW ababababab
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

A-Train

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:49 AM »
Hey A-Train, I'm going into my 12th year here.
I am an awesome baker BTW ababababab

TWELVE YEARS!!! Holy shitsky. You must have "gone native" by now.
The fact that you can bitch out a cabby gives you a "safety valve". I can only grimace, grunt and make Neanderthal-like gestures. And then wait for the next taxi to run me down.

I like the self, gift-giving idea. I always like to open packages. Not sure why.

I know what you mean by "taste expectations". I'll never fathom how Chinese can gag down Baiju, but turn up their noses at something like Baileys. I know it's saccharin, but how can an uninitiated woman not like Bailey's?

Anything you bake you can send my way. I'll return it in Wisconsin cheese.

Pearl S. Buck

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:26 AM »
Happy new year A-train hang in there we all have bad China days (and bad anywhere days) I am currently pining for China
after a month back home. Kids keep booting us out of the sitting room to watch TV, making noise when we want to sleep and
complaining when we want "our" car.Roll on Monday,back to China!
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
since there's no "like button"

agagagagag
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
I'm only about two years in and still feeling ahahahahah , agagagagag , and bfbfbfbfbf most of the time, but I also - frequently - lose patience with *China* ...

Feelings of aoaoaoaoao , kkkkkkkkkk , asasasasas , apapapapap , llllllllll , eeeeeeeeee , and oooooooooo do strike - sometimes in pairs and small groups! 

I tend to think that's more about me than whatever *China* *does* that I'm spitting about. I suppose most humans do to some extant, but I too frequently struggle with patience in the face of that stream of daily bullshit that can't be avoided unless one stays in bed.

I'm hoping that, more often than not, I'll learn to let small things slide - that I'll know those things when I see them and just smile quietly instead - and if that happens, I'll have China to thank for it. I imagine a greater capacity to be at ease and relief from the weight of expectations about how things ought to flow, because even now I well know how futile that shit is, begging the question why am I still such a high-strung, off-key piano wire?

Maybe I'll finally master that Jedi ability to experience feelings without always identifying with them ... zen and the art of ... teaching English in China? :)

I don't mean that there aren't plenty of legitimate gripes that arise, not to mention really serious WTF matters of regular course that limit people here in ways they can't walk away from - there are. Just as there are far, far away in the benighted land of Kanuckistan. There, as here, I find the mindset that prefers living with steaming piles of senseless incompetence, petty corruption, mean spirited ideologues and their fuckery to the necessity of confronting it/them/that out loud if we ever want consistent progress towards life with less of that garbage -  llllllllll - challenging to my peace of mind.  There, not here, that kind of confrontation is so much less costly; the right to engage in it still exists though defense of it and protections for it erode daily... such that I find the unwillingness to get REAL that is so pervasive back 'home'  bqbqbqbqbq hard to accept at all... 

bebebebebe ...

This train of thought is a frequent ride for many of us, isn't it?
So we think about our here's and there's and ask ourselves why we are here or there or somewhere inbetween ...

mmmmmmmmmm

...now all this thinking out loud has me thinking I should take a walk.

:)
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.