m*l*t*ry training in China - college and uni

• 19 replies

xwarrior

m*l*t*ry training in China - college and uni
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:37:07 AM »
New entrants to a college or university in China spend the first 10 days undergoing the ordeal of military training.

A lot of +++ come out of that .......  but my internet connection is bad  llllllllll so I will write more later

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:50:47 AM by xwarrior »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Re: m*l*t*ry training in China - college and uni
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:44:19 AM »
Am i the only one who thinks this is not an entirely bad thing. By the time I start teaching my freshmen they all know each other  ababababab
and they have good relationships.

Considering  how isolated these students are on arrival and how incapable of making relationships outside the family.

Plus when I asked my students a lot of them said it was actually quite fun. Hard work but fun.
 agagagagag

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
I love this too.  In fact, I made a real faux pas a few years ago, when the new students were hard at their m-l-t-ry training.  It was so hot and humid, and I felt so sorry for them.  But, the second year students were amazed that I would look at it that way, as they felt it was a huge honour to serve the country this way.

A good attitude, for sure.  And, I agree, it really helps to make a start in forming bonds.

Chinalin
Zhaoqing.

bxbxbxbxbx

old34

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
The big reward for most of these students is the chance to shoot a gun at the end of the training.

I'll leave it at that for now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
i think the germans have the best system where you go and help clean up neighbourhoods etc instead of marching about and shouting

Borkya

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
But, the second year students were amazed that I would look at it that way, as they felt it was a huge honour to serve the country this way.

A good attitude, for sure.  And, I agree, it really helps to make a start in forming bonds.

You must have much more patriotic students then I do, because my upperclassman just laughed at the poor freshmen sweating their asses off and basically called them 'suckers.'  ahahahahah

But then again my students like to complain about anything that makes them do exercise or go outside. For instance I make my students keep a diary in writing class and every single one of them writes about the 800/1000 meter run they have to do and complains and complains and complains. So my students are a little wimpy.

I also asked my freshman, after the training, if they were ready to fight in a war if their country needed them. They all said "No!!"

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Purty pitchers. Nicely done. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:46:34 AM »
Number four looks like a poorly done Where's Waldo.  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:18:41 AM »
Number four looks like a poorly done Where's Waldo.  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Well, he's not wearing camouflage, is he?

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
My first thought was that he's the guy I'd want with me if we were ambushed. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
Great photos!

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
I've been thinking about writing something about this since last summer, and I have a completely different take on it.

I think it's kind of pathetic. All they do is ponse about with flags. They stay indoors when it's raining, or too hot, or too windy probably. It's not the army doing the instructing. It's just students. To me, it just makes the Army look like a joke.

I'd love to see the students do some proper m+lit@ry training, or indeed any proper exercise; not because they're unfit, but because they're never taken out of their comfort zones and made to realise their physical and psychological potential.

The physical training for Christian evangelists (at least with one organisation) is tougher. That's not a joke or an exaggeration.  

As I say, at my Uni it's not even the real army. They're basically just playing dress-up, but sometimes on the buses they show clips of 'real' training, and it doesn't look any more purposeful. I have plenty more comments to make about this topic, but I think they'd get me shot; weather conditions allowing.

Mimi

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
Military training isn't really supposed to do anything other than make the students feel patriotic, more like "us" and less like "them." They aren't going to be called to fight in a war or anything.  It was started after a certain Incident, primarily involving students.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »
Military training isn't really supposed to do anything other than make the students feel patriotic, more like "us" and less like "them." They aren't going to be called to fight in a war or anything.  It was started after a certain Incident, primarily involving students.

hit the nail on the head!

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
Agree that the Germans do it best, though I'm sure that the conscription here helps first year students to bond - I could have done with some of that in my first year at university.

I went for a walk one day near the campus and saw some soldiers on parade at what appeared to be a thumbelina-sized army base. Lots of gongs, plus small hand cymbals clashed at intervals by all the soldiers. It was quite sweet, like you'd imagine a military parade would look if it was designed by a gay fashion stylist.

Really don't see the need for students to undergo tough military training. They're meant to be thinkers, not meat for a machine gun.